Ferrari Badge To Rear Of 246 | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Badge To Rear Of 246

Discussion in '206/246' started by azboater, Jan 4, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    A very old Magazine!!

And the dino price doesnt include the following cost options

Power windows $270
    Mettalic Paint:- $270
    Leather:- $450
    Daytona Seat Panels:-$115
    AC $770
    Campys and fender flares $680
    Radio elec aerial and speakers $100

Nudge bar not mentioned!

1974 prices, that was an awful lot of money for a "DINO".

In 74, whats a Dino, a car made by Ferrari sir.....thats OK then

2. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    I think his numbers are wrong. I though it was ~12k USD back in the early 1970s.

3. djh4570

djh4570 Karting

Sep 14, 2006
    NewZealand
    Full Name:
    Danny John Hayes
    Hey Tony according to my copy of MOTOR (an English magazine weekending July 10 1971 cost 12 1/2 p) a 246Gt cost £5483.63 plus £83.55 for the window lifters.And through out the whole article they keep refering to The Dino as a Ferrari and oddly enough they didnt get sued by the factory and forced to make a retraction. Ahh well simpler times.

4. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Interestingly the Motor mag states the manufacturer as "Ferrari" Model "Dino 246GT"

Agree with the price you quoted, the figures I COPIED come from " ROAD & TRACK" magazine 1974, 3 years later. So with a list price of $18K USD say about £9K GBP and three years of prices hikes it isnt that far off the mark i quess. Also that was for a GTS

An earlier mag "Road & Track" 1972 had these price comparisions

Dino 246GT $14,700 USD
    Pantera $9800USD
    Porche 911E $8145

Still a very expensive car!!

Tony

5. modmaki

modmaki Formula 3

Sep 11, 2006
    Michigan,USA
    Full Name:
    Mo Makki
    #155 modmaki, Feb 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    lets see if this price list helps...notice the price for the daytona spyder.vs. c/4...the spyder is now 1-1.5 million...c/4 100k-150k...darn i wish i had gone for the spyder............
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Intersting these old mags

Autocar March 8th 1973

Students of Ferrari history will recall the original 1.6 litre DINO engine was a wet liner light alloy 65 degree V6 derived from Ferrari 1.5 litre F2 engine. The rules for the 1967 edition of F2 called for a 1.6 litre engine of not more than 6 cylinders and a series no fewer than 500 units. That kind of production was at least 4 times that of Ferrari production of all models at the time, and this is were Fiat saved the day.

But for the rules requiring a 6 cylinder engine Ferrari would have opted for a V8 for this purpose on the grounds of its better balance. The engine was designed for production and was a true Ferrai in that it was laid down in the Ferrari drawing office and protypes were made in Maranello. The castings being produced and machined in the works. Fiat, however laid down the production tooling, the machine tools being moved to Maranello and housed in a new extension to the factory long before the Fiat dino was discontinued. Incidentally at the time that the Fiat dino was in production at Maranello, Ferrari was in production with earlier versions of the Ferrari Dino Coupe. Engines for this car were drawn from Fiat production and modified

7. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Tony: I remember once reading that the agreed price point was set for the "Fiat" Dino to compete (slightly under priced) with a Porche 911 (it never worked however), and the "Ferrari" Dino priced between that and traditional Ferrari road cars. Enzo was supposedly very leery of the other Dino drawing customers away from his higher priced and so named marque. To add confusion, a batch of 2.4 liter "Fiat" Dinos were imported into the US by some fellow in the Northeast in the 1970s as "used" 1967 Ferraris and bearing installed Ferrari serial number plates, carring ficticious numbers to fool the DOT and EPA and thus resold complying with the earlier safety and emissions regime. That is why there are so few of the 200+ 2.4 Dino Spider survivors in the US today. M

8. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Interesting. I had never heard this before. Is there any other evidence than an Autocar magazine article?

Cheers,

Julio

9. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Thanks Michael interesting points.

Julio - No i only read it this morning when looking for price comparisions. Need to dig deeper.

Interestingly, there is an article i came across with details a journalist being test driven around Maranello in a 206GT. Reading between the lines it is EF car.

The photo shows the dino on side view with a "prancing horse" badge on the front wing. !!!!!

10. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    #160 TonyL, Feb 17, 2008
    Notice the "ferrari badge" on the front wing. This is Sergio Pinninfarina car at the factory

Notice the quarter lights are missing and the car displayed is refered as SP car.

11. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    #161 TonyL, Feb 17, 2008
    Call be a bore but this is Enzo's 206 being road tested by Car magazine in April 1969

That too has the Ferrari prancing horse logo on the front wiing!! So Enzo must have known?

12. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    As actual and titular head of Scuderia Ferrari he would be entitled to us the scudetto on anything he drove, and they certainly weren't ever delivered to dealers that way..

How's that Enzo's personal car? You've previously identified it as Pinin Farina's (no vent windows).

(Why .doc format?)

13. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    I believe Enzo never had a Dino. I think it's Sergio's in both cases.

Cheers,

Julio

14. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Hi

This is a seperate article in another magazine.

The Pininfarina car was an article written by Paul Frere in Motor mag Jan 25th 1969 (which was supposed to be SP own car)

The other article was in Car magazine April 1969 (supposed to be EF own car)

Note the wheels are different so they are not the same car and are both 206GT's

Quote:- "The 206GT with which we were entrusted was Enzo Ferraris personal car, which had already covered getting on for 20,000 miles without anything other than routine maintenance"

I am only reporting what i read and must be taken on face value. Do not see any reason why both journalists should lie about it and the intruging fact is that both cars had prancing horse emblem on the front wing. Now theres one to discuss!!!

The pictures are from seperate mags, i did it .doc format as my scanner would only do it that way. (not that up on the tekkie bit i am afraid.)

Tony

15. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn

i find it hard to believe that enzo drove 20k miles as he rarely left maranello. however, i think it would be smart for ferrari to say it was his car so that the journalists would be impressed with the "smaller, almost a ferrari" car. that could explain both angles

16. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Could be and a valid point, but as i said we can only take what the journalist reported at the time. It could be that he loaned the car out to journalists and they racked up the miles. We are only guessing and trying to make a picture fit a story or vice versa!!

It must be taken at face value, he was 71 in 1969 so it would be pretty difficult to get in and out of the 206GT.

Tony

Maybe a photo will materialise showing Enzo in the car!!

17. Michiel Mobiel

Michiel Mobiel Formula 3

Mar 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel van den Brink
    I'm sure this is the right place to ask...

Please excuse my ignorance, but I noticed almost all Dinos only have one Pininfarina emblem on the side. Mostly on the right rear fender.
    Some only had one badge on the left side and I saw only few who had the PF emblems on both sides... Is this for a reason? Or do I see ghosts and did all Dinos originally receive two emblems and maybe many were lost?

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    No it's pretty routine to only badge one side with that emblem, the practice continues with the 308s!

I accused my body shop of losing one once, and had to eat my words.......:rolleyes:

19. Michiel Mobiel

Michiel Mobiel Formula 3

Mar 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel van den Brink
    Funny.
    Did they just randomly badge each side?

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    No it varies by country, or year, I forget ..the US steel cars get left side emblems, but some fibreglass cars get the other side???

I'd really like to know the reasoning! LOL!

It bothers some owners so bad the put another one on!
    I just left mine as is......

Maybe a thread on it in the 308 Section.

21. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I believe that all 246 Dinos had the Pininfarina badge on the right side only. Daytonas, if I recall correctly, have the badge on the left side.

Jim S.

22. Michiel Mobiel

Michiel Mobiel Formula 3

Mar 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel van den Brink
    I scrolled through my pic archive and noticed badges on 246s on left, right and both sides. I'm glad we know now that badges on both sides is wrong. :)

23. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Its because Ferrari were so tight that they reasoned that it was only worth putting a badge on the nearside of the car so that passers by on the pavement could see the badge.