Ferrari badge on Dino? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Ferrari badge on Dino?

Discussion in '206/246' started by raywong, Oct 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Andres, Looks like you have a well-stocked parts department! Fred

2. f328nvl

f328nvl Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2004
    Herts
    Full Name:
    John
    Oh can we please put this one to bed without all the hyperbole?

In the UK Maranello, who were the sole UK importers, offered all new car purchasers the option to have a Ferrari badge (and headlight covers).

Irrespective of what the other countries who imported the cars do, in the UK, Ferrari Classiche and concours will quite happily accept this orignal Ferrari badging and headlight covers as original.

I was told this last week by two sources; The first was the guy who actually stuck the badges on at Maranellos in the 1970s (now at Rardley), the second the guy who does Dinos Ferrari Classiche (Still with Ferrari UK).

So, not from the factory, but yes, they could be delivered new with badges in some countries.

Divided by a common language again.

3. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I always seem to have the wrong parts in there, Fred.

Best, Andres

4. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    You are always too modest, Andres! Fred

5. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    Ferrari Dino 00870 is a one owner car. It was picked up by its owner in person at the factory. While it didn't have the "Ferrari" script on it when it left the assembly line, the good folks at the factory were happy to put one on the car at the owner's request before it was driven out of the factory gates.

Is that factory original? Let the debate begin!

One thing is for sure, it's the truth.

6. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    No it,s not because it was unintended.

7. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    It doesn't really matter, does it, Keith. The car has had that script all its life. If I owned the car, I would probably keep the script.

8. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #108 4CamGT, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    With permission from the original and still existing owner of Dino *00870*:

Hi Freeman

Please go ahead with your request. If you look closely at the 4th picture you attached, that is me on the day I got the Dino outside of the old Fini Hotel in Modena. You should be able to see the Ferrari script on the trunk lid. I had asked the people at Ferrari to put it on, and they obliged. The head light covers were not installed by the factory, but were installed by Maranello Concessionaires in the UK several months after the picture was taken. When I showed the Dino at the Ferrari Nationals at the Quail Lodge in 2004, the judges accepted the Ferrari script since I had proper documentation, but lost points for the headlight covers since they were not "factory" installed. The car still was able to achieve a FCA 'Premio di Platino' award.

Do you have the 'Dino Compendium' by Matthias Bartz? It is excellent.

Regards
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well done!!

10. rosemeyer

rosemeyer Karting

Aug 13, 2010
    A bit off topic but that 4th photo really blew me away. A young man, looking like he doesn't have a care in the world, picking up his brand new Dino in Italy. Car and owner still together after 40 years. The stories they must have. Wow, just wow.

Best Regards,
    Paul

11. andy2175m4@yahoo.com

[email protected] Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy Rein
    The Dino 246 spyder was always special to me. It was the first Ferrari I saw up close and personal, someone in our neighborhood had one when I was a kid.

The Dino was named after the son of Enzo Ferrari, can you image his heartbreak seeing his son die at age 25 ? The car was named after Dino, not Enzo, if it was called a Ferrari, it would just be another Ferrari, but calling it a Dino is what distinguishes it, makes it special. It was later badged Ferrari, probably at the request of the dealers, so they could sell more cars.

12. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I am still stunned by that P3, just sitting there. Those were the days.

13. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    From what I have read and seen on other italian cars the British dealers would do just about anything to sell a car. I have seen many Italian cars that had their brushed stainless panels polished to a chrome finish by dealers.

Is there a Ferrari emblem in the Dino parts catalog?

So as Reagan would say trust but verify Source?

14. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Definitely not, and neither are 'curb feelers' or cup holders and other non standard items.

That a customer, could raise the 'bar' in the UK, definitely. In France, it appears "L" series were equipped with wooden steering wheels as the 206, unlike the ones for the other markets.

Thus, not a catalogue item either, just an option for that specific market, where at least the wood might portray a different personality,
    plus chic...whereas the 'Ferrari' emblem(s) might have denoted affiliation, passion for the marque, or...?

Ferrari emblems in the UK, and wood in France. Different markets, different tastes and expectations.
    Wrong? Right? Who cares. Correct? It depends on who's looking and why.

There certainly are many 'one off' Dino out there, done at the factory by special order, but the norm I believe, it is just what is on the catalogue for the other 97% of Dino.

Regards, Alberto

15. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    #115 Nuvolari, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
    Call me a **** disturber but to me this whole arguing whether the cars ever came with Ferrari badges is generally pushed along by the owners of Dino's that have had the badges installed at one time or another. Their cars have been butchered, it is expensive to repair properly, and they believe enough people have done it that it should be considered 'factory' and not a points deduction in concours circles.

Whether it was the fashion of the time, or a means of validating the brand to sell cars or service an owners vanity the fact is that the addition of the badge was done outside of the manufacture of the car.

16. ferrari dino

ferrari dino Karting

Feb 16, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    John Kennedy
    Is there a battery lift band in the Dino parts catalog?

17. ferrari dino

ferrari dino Karting

Feb 16, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    John Kennedy
  18. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    When you say satchel of cash, I had just assumed he needed a case to lock the box and tools up so they didn’t disappear.

It is an interesting location that that shield is applied. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone place it in such away.

19. ferrari dino

ferrari dino Karting

Feb 16, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    John Kennedy
    Satchel is too small for tool kit or owners pouch. Looks correct for the size of stacked bills vertically.

20. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    #120 racerboy9, Jun 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    Haven't found a part number in the later Dino parts catalog but haven't checked the 206 one. I have seven original battery lift bands all identical and one in the bag I bought from Dennis Mccann (RIP) years ago that looks more like the one in your picture as it is wider but the same length as my others. Part number on the bag is 900105694 and the Ferrari Ricambi slip in the bag has part number 4062130 which shows up in the Fiat Dino parts catalog. . There is a 105694 number on the slip that shows up on Algar's site as well. They are pretty handy for lifting the battery out of it's hole

ferrari dino likes this.
  21. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    I have 07798 - a 74 GTS - it has the same FERRARI in the same place on the trunk lid as the photo above - it has obviously been there a loooong time

who put it on and when ? - no idea

removing it for me would create a paint issue

the car was re-painted once - in it's factory color -

there are a few other tiny details that i have also left

the biggest strangest offense is that someone chrome-plated the rectangular air cleaner ???

i have considered taking it to my polish and di guy and having it returned to it's matt black finish

i just haven't done it - I just feel like the steward for this part of this car's journey

it's 22k miles are original

and the mouse hair dash is an aftermarket application - but it's old - I'm not messing with that either

I do need new tires - plenty of tread - but they are old