Ferrari badge on Dino? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari badge on Dino?

Discussion in '206/246' started by raywong, Oct 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Hmmm... no evidence is forthcoming from 4CamGT. In its absence, I will continue believing that a Dino NEVER left the factory with a Ferrari script.

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    My understanding is that some dealers added it but it never came from the factory that way.

Most people know them as "Ferrari Dino's" and not "246 Dino's". You'll hear "there's a Ferrari Dino". In the US, few even knew there was a "Fiat Dino" at all so the Dino association with Ferrari has always been strong.

In the 80's, if you brought a Dino to a car show and it had the Ferrari script, 12 cylinder owners would call you a "wannabee" Ferrari owner.

3. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005

Ferrari scripts were added by some dealers, particularly in the UK and the US, in response to foolish customer demands. Never by the factory.

A Ferrari script on a Dino disregards and disrespects history, aesthetics, and Enzo.

4. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I've seen the car and the paperwork Freeman is talking about in his old post here and the car was picked up at the factory by the owner.
    The script was added post production-line to the boot (trunk) lid due to a customer request at the factory as I understood it.
    Maybe that constitutes dealer added, however you want to look at it is up to you.
    There is also a prancing horse on the chassis plate (all 206/246-L I think).
    Andrew

5. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    In the '80s, at a car show, one of my Dinos was called worse by the proud owner of a Daytona spider. Looking into my engine compartment, he remarked: "I see that you only have half an engine!" Fred

6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Exactly and well put.

7. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I took mine to a car show and the guy said: You can park yours down there with the other Fiats. This area is for Ferrari only.

Such was "the love" for the little Dino in the 80's. The "Magnum" people thought themselves superior and the Ferrari people didn't like anything with less than 12 cylinders.

The one problem they quickly ignored is that Phil Hill drove a Dino to F1 victory -- on 6 glorious cylinders. :)

8. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    All I am asking for is some documentary evidence. If such evidence shows that the script was added at the factory by Ferrari, I will have learnt something new and would be happy to admit that I have been wrong.

Absent such evidence, I will repeat my assertion that the factory NEVER built a Dino with a Ferrari script, and that all assertions to the contrary are baloney invented by someone who couldn't stand the idea of owning a car that didn't say "Ferrari".

As far as I know a prancing horse was added to the chassis plate only on US cars.

9. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    guys, that has completly changed...
    Ferrari did a poll on their owners webpage 3 years ago and the Dino 206/246 GT/GTS was voted the most beautiful Ferrari ever build.
    ;-)
    Regards Matthias

10. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I always got the feeling, at car shows, when a total stranger would say, "That's not a real Ferrari," that either he was trying to provoke an argument, or to elicit an admission of inferiority on my part. I have consistently maintained that the Dino has a dual pedigree: as a Dino, and as a product of Ferrari. Whether it was ever actually referred to as a Ferrari by the factory (clearly, it was not) misses the point, I think. However, say what you will, it is not and never was a FIAT. Since FIAT eventually took ownership of a majority interest in Ferrari, after Mr. Ferrari's death, the whole issue loses some relevance, but the fact remains that the Dino was Enzo's tribute to his son, and if that doesn't qualify the Dino as a Ferrari, I don't know what would. After all, we are not talking about a tax loophole here! Fred

11. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    Julio, the prancing horse should be on your chassis plate too...
    :)

12. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    I will check!:)

13. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I'm just stating the facts to support what Freeman said in 2004 and sorry but I won't publish another owners car.
    People felt differently about these cars in 1970 when the Dino was new, the first owner of mine added a Ferrari script, shields and a mirror right after buying it. I thought long and hard if I should keep these or fill the holes, it's part of the history of the car and been there it's whole life pretty much but in the end I chose showroom fresh and filling the holes for all of it.

I know 3 original Dino owners, and 2/3 have Ferrari scripts. They are all amazing people. A guy in the early 1970's who works hard for his dream, orders a Dino, then waits 1-2 years to get it built and shipped from Italy, and then adds a little flair (you know...), and owns and maintains it for the next 40+ years is pretty cool in my book, Ferrari script or not.
    Andrew

14. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Wow!!! I think this debate will go loooong into the future!! I'm at the Detroit Auto Show at the moment so don't have reference to my books. When I'm back home I'll do some research on early factory "Dino" racecars to see if any of them had "Ferrari" or scuderia shields on them. Anyone who has any photos, please chime in! When you look at the latest Ferrari Owners site they refer to "Dino" only as "Dino" and not "Ferrari" Dino. It is however on every factoy list under "Ferrari". Also would be interesting if anyone has photos of 308GT4 wheels that have both "Ferrari" and "Dino" on them. I notice that the chassis plates in the engine compartment on '72 and earlier Dinos
    have cavalinos on the plates and later ones do not. Only the U.S. door jam plates have them through '74. Sooo...what do we know? Officially it is a "Dino" by "Ferrari" and Enzo was very proud of his little boy!

Freeman

Freeman

15. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011
    The valve covers say Ferrari That is all I need.

16. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    ?

Mine sez "Dino".

17. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Here are a few references below, see the books for photos.

Almost all pre-1967 Dino race cars had shields and a cavallino nose badge, after this both appear to be dropped with only "Dino" nose badges, presumably to build the marque. See D.Nye "Dino - the little Ferrari" (just about any page).
    An F2 engine component with both "Ferrari" and "Dino 206" scripts on the valve cover, p193 J.P.Gabriel "Dino" (german ed.).

For the Dino No.5 prototype road car, all the press photo's show the car with shields. p237 Gabriel, p267 Nye.

I found p262 of Nye to be interesting, some Ferrari's with a Dino logo are out there as they transitioned out of the Dino marque to avoid re-certification. Also see the Dino 308GTB R&T review, p298 Nye.

In A.Henry "The Ferrari Dino 246,308 and 328", p44 shows a 308GT4 with both Ferrari and Dino scripts and notes the why cars were produced like this in the text. Later 308GT4 swapped out the Dino nose badge for the Ferrari one.

I think Ferrari made a cleaner transition into the Dino marque than out of it.
    Andrew

18. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Thanks Andrew! Also on the original homolgation papers it says only "Dino" but Ferrari under constructer/manufacterer. Maybe someone can post the documents(still in Detroit).

Freeman

19. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #69 dgt, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Both sets of Homologation papers for the Dino 246 GT (Group 4 and 3) list the manufacturer as as "FERRARI S.p.A. - Sefac" and the model is listed as "DINO 246 GT".
    The engine and chassis constructor is listed as "Dino".
    The top half of the first page of homologation #627 is below showing the 500 L-series cars used to homologate the 246 GT, and congratulations if you're lucky enough to own a homologating car in the S/N range 00416-00920. This is also in Gabriel's book "Dino".

The lists of previously homologated cars here:
    http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/84AD8CFF7700D1EAC12578160040DC50/$FILE/HomologatedForms-SortedByMake&Model-2010.pdf
    listed under make "Ferrari" on page 15.

I don't have the 206 GT homologation #247. It just shows "206 GT" for the make (no DINO). It may be a typo, I'm sure someone can clear that up?

For those in the US, the "1972 SCCA production category recognition form" lists the manufacturer as "FERRARI S.P.A SEFAC", the make as "DINO" and the model is "246 GT" which is consistent with the FIA docs.

Related to the last post, also see R.C.Baselt's book on literature p69,76 showing factory brochures of the 308gt4 with a Dino script on the decklid, Ferrari insignia on nose ("Ferrari"+cavallino), steering wheel and wheel caps.

Freeman, Hope you're enjoying detroit!
    Andrew
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Andrew,

Great work!! Would be interesting to compare the Daytona homologation papers to see any differences in what they put in for constructer and model.

Freeman

21. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Even if the make of a Dino 246 Dino is listed as "Dino," it seems odd to list the constructor as "Dino." Where is this mythical builder of automobiles? Fred

22. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    A constructor builds racing vehicles, that could mean as little as putting a badge on a car or engine (a descriptor). Depends on the racing rules though.

23. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    +10

24. Mike Zugsmith

Mike Zugsmith Rookie

Feb 4, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike Zugsmith
    Our 1972 "barn find" GTS (chassis number 04000) has a Ferrari badge on the bonnet and script above the rear license plate. The original owner who purchased the Dino in 1973 (and from whom we just purchased it) said she made no modifications before or after parking it in her garage around 1975 so it was probably the dealer. We will leave it as found, including the "nerf bar" between the front bumpers other than cleaning (there's little cosmetic patina) but restore it mechanically so it can be driven safely and reliably.

25. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mike- Nearly all the RHD Dinos imported by Maranello Concessionaires in the UK had Ferrari script and a Cavallino added on the trunk lid and rear end, respectively. Many of the UK Dinos also had the nerf bars added. I suppose I have no right to comment since I traded my Dino (02984) for a Daytona in 1978, but I really hate those bars on the Dino (and on the Daytona). I am almost willing to pay for the welding job to prevent another Dino from retaining those bars. The Ferrari badging does not bother me at all compared to that bar.

Obviously, my opinion is not worth a bucket of warm spit (to quote Garner) on this subject.