Ferrari badge on Dino? | FerrariChat

Ferrari badge on Dino?

Discussion in '206/246' started by raywong, Oct 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raywong

raywong Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Raymond
    There is none on my 246, but I've seen photos of others with the yellow sticker on the fender. I am tempted to put one on but am afraid to be called a ricer.
    Is the sticker standard on some model of 246?

2. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    It is your car, do as you wish...

I have a 246GT, it does not have a Ferrari badge or a Cavallino on it anywhere.

Personally I think it looks stupid to put a Ferrari name tag, shields or a Cavallino on a Dino, they are not Ferrari's.

I go to Monterey every year and see someone polishing the Ferrari badges on his Dino... to me it is like wearing a fake rolex.

A 246 is one of the most beautuiful cars Ferrari made, they did not put a Ferrari badge on it and that is good enough for me.

Fortuneatly they are becoming valuable enough that the Ferrari badges are coming off...

Sorry, this is an issue I feel strongly about, but of course this is just my opinion....

3. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Ray, no; none of the Dinos came with stickers or any other form of Ferrari badges...

However, if you want to put one on your car, i say do it; if someone calls you a ricer or anything else, tell them you'll make the car how THEY want it to look when THEY pay for it, pay for the service, maintenance, gas, etcetera... Until then, they can just be jealous QUIETLY...

i hope you do it; if you do, i'd LOVE to see pictures...

4. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    Carbon, the badges look better on your Sebring... leave a poor innocent Dino alone!

5. atheyg

atheyg Guest

I don't think the shields belong on any car that did not come with them, they clutter up the clean design of the car IMO.

6. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LMAO...! That's cold...

Jeff is actually right; badges don't belong on ANY road cars; what they represent has been cheapened by Ferrari's money lust... Only racecars are supposed to have badges; not road cars, not limited edition supercars, not "road legal racecars" - not even the Scuderia Sebring GT 2+2 LWB Cabriolet Speciale...! ONLY the racecars...

...however, it's become so damn commonplace, some people don't even know their original purpose...

Chris, i understand the point of view you've expressed, but the badges can also be used to represent one's support of the race team, no...? (Isn't that a perfectly reasonable explanation for SO many people...?:D)

7. raywong

raywong Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Raymond
    why do I see so many road car with the yellow shield even in the show room?

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Many folks add the shields or badges on the Dino, because it came from the factory with none.

As you may know, Enzo Ferrari was trying to create a new line of cars to compete more directly in price and performance with Porsche. The Dino badge was meant to differentiate it from the "Real Ferraris" of the time.

In fact his first Dino brochure had the line, "Almost a Ferrari" in it.

Many owners must feel that it deserves a Ferrari badge, and they add them. I happen to think the car is special without it, and most folks either recognize it as a Ferrari, or simply admire it because it is so beautiful.

Either way, I don't think it needs "no stinkin' badges" so I left mine clean.

9. raywong

raywong Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Raymond
    I thought it was standard on some later year model... ok no badge for me.

10. sjvalin

sjvalin Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2004
    Nevada County, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Valin
    No 206/246 Dino had any Ferrari badges or scripts anywhere. The first 308GT4 Dino's didn't either. The 308GT4 was the only Ferrari officially sold in the US during the mid 70's and it didn't say Ferrari on it anywhere! Due to this, Ferrari started putting the badges on the GT4 and subsequent "entry level" cars.

-steve

11. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    That's not quite true. They didn't have any external badges, script, or horses, but they did display the Ferrari name and horse in a few locations :)

12. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    The silver 206GT of Sergio Pininfarina has the Scuderia shields on the fenders and I know of one 246L that left the factory with the Ferrari script in back. It is still owned by its original owner with that documentation. Dinos at least through the "L" Series have just the prancing horse on their chassis plates. I personally don't think a Dino needs the badge or script to know what it is. "DINO" is what "ENZO" wanted to call it and Dino was his only legitimate son. As far as I know Enzo was passionate about the Dino. I love the fact that a Dino has a history and a beautiful script(Dino's signature) all of its own as well as being an important part of Ferrari. I've seen examples of Dinos with the horse or script tastefully applied. Its really up to the owner. In any case, the 246 Dino is one of the most beautiful "Ferrari" ever. By the way, my Heritage Certificate says Ferrari.

Freeman

Jamie H likes this.
  13. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Regardless of intent or badging I consider the 246 one of the best looking Ferraris built. I'll always think of it as a Ferrari. It can't be mistaken for anything else in my minds eye. If I owned one I don't think I would feel the need for additional badging.

If I am not mistaken somebody here posted a shot of a rear hatch belonging to a 308 GTB prototype, in the bone yard, that had evidence of the Dino script on it. Looking at the lines of the 308 one can see the heritage it shares with the 246.

14. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

According to Keith Bluemel,

The factory were deliberately trying to differentiate Dinos and establish them as a separate marque, so 2xx GT series never had Ferrari badging.

In 1975, the factory told all US dealers to re-badge any existing inventory of Dino's (GT4s mostly). This included a Ferrari badge above the Dino on the front of the car, a Ferrari Cavallino horn button, and a chrome Cavallino on the rear. Cars from the factory after that had Ferrari badging.

Some dealers in Europe added the Ferrari badges similar to the US mandate.

15. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I fully agree. Dino is a very special sports car and deserves to recognized and be fully respected by its correct name. What's wrong with the name "Dino"?

Maybe more like glueing a Rolex -sign on your vintage Omega...?

Best wishes, Kare

16. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Freeman.

How goes the history chase for your Dino series?

Did you get the Dino information you were looking for, or are you still in hot pursuit?

Dave M.

17. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Dave,

Its been going good. There are alot of myths and realities out there on Dinos. I'm trying to get under as many early Dinos as possible and document them. Recently have been in contact with an owner who picked his "L" Dino up at the factory in 1970. This is the one that has the Ferrari script officially attatched at the factory and documented in his factory paperwork. He still has his Dino with its original paint. It is probably the best documented, best preserved early Dino in private hands. He is giving me access to his car so my Dino is restored as correct as possible. Another friend just acquired an "L" Dino. We're in the process of getting a Heritage Certificate for it. All the numbers seem to match. They are in exact sequence to mine. If there is anyone out there with an early Dino (206GT or 246GT/L) I would love to hear from them. I would also like to know when the thin bumpers transitioned into the thicker ones. I see them photographed on the "M" series brochure. It seems there is not alot of organised activity on documentation, parts and restoration on Dinos as compared to Porsches, Jags etc. Its still early days on Dinos. Get one before others discover them. Sorry about switching gears on this thread. Only wanted to answer a question. Back to Ferrari badging on Dinos....

Freeman

18. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

19. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Yes, thank you, the Dino Register has been a great help. Most of the info I am finding is through other Dino owners. I just had Tom Shaughnessy over my place. We're now also recording the production numbers thats found hidden on the chrome trim. Tom has probably been the single most valuable resource in my quest for Ferrari knowledge. I enjoy getting under the cars, documenting and sharing notes.

Freeman

20. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Why would someone put a Ferrari badge on a Dino...that would be like putting a Pontiac badge on a Chevrolet now wouldn't it!

21. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Both classic Chevrolets and Pontiacs are "GM" and body by "Fisher". They both have discreet GM and Fisher badges but are GM through and through. A Dino GT is by "Ferrari" and body design by "Pininfarina". It is a "Dino" first, a "Ferrari" second and a "Pininfarina" design third. Whether you say, "Ferrari Dino", "Dino by Ferrari" or "the Ferrari Dino designed by Pininfarina" its all good by me. I do agree though that the Dino has its own significant history and philosophy to wear just the Dino badge proudly. Its history is real and done during a time when Enzo was in control. "He" named these cars "Dino" by Ferrari.

Freeman

22. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Wrong Feeman. Dino and Ferrari are to Fiat what Pontiac and Chevrolet are to GM. So it is "Dino by Fiat" just as it is "Pontiac/Chevrolet by GM". And the Body by Fisher of GM cars of the era would be like "Body by Pinninfarina" or "Body by Bertone" of the various Ferrari and Dino models. And, from I've read over the years, Enzo never wanted to make the Dino road car at all. He only did so in order to be allowed to race the V6 Ferrari engine he had placed in a race car. If you will look on Dino engine blocks, they are stamped Fiat, not Ferrari or Dino, although the cam covers are stamped Dino.

23. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Franklin,

Ferrari officially acknowledges the Dino 206 and 246 series as under the Ferrari family. It allows you access to the official Ferrari owner's site (www.owners.ferrari.com) once you've registered yourself and your car. Once you're registered you can apply for the Ferrari Heritage Certificate. On the list are the 206GT and 246GT models. Ferrari will not give you a Heritage Certificate for the Fiat Dino Coupe or Spider because they were marketed and sold under Fiat with Fiat badges on the bodywork. I really love both of those cars as well. 206GT's and 246GT's were marketed and sold through Ferrari dealers. On the motors of the Ferrari 206GT's and 246GT's are internal sequential numbers stamped on them. I have applied for Heritage Certificates for two "L" series Dinos. In both cases they have emailed me back requesting these numbers. I then received the Heritage Certificates. If the engines were all built at Fiat how could they keep track of these numbers and keep them in order. The engines are the same and are both designed by Ferrari but did Ferrari build their own motors for their cars? The two cars are exactly 171 cars apart and their internal numbers are 171 numbers apart. Could the the internal numbers give a clue that Ferrari built the motors for their cars and Fiat built theirs? Plus 206GT's and 246GT's had special gearboxes. Bodies for the 206GT/246GT's were built at Scaglietti next to Daytonas and as I understand were then shipped to Ferrari Modena for assembly. Enzo's goal with ALL his roadcars was only to finance his racing activities.

Freeman

24. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    If you don't believe me, look for youself and you will see FIAT stamped on the block of all Dinos . Post back what you see. I've seen it myself on a Dino being serviced at a local Italian car shop. And with your logic new Maseratis would now be Ferraris too as they are sold by Ferrari dealers. Or, would the new F430 be a Maserati as its engine is just a hopped-up version of the Maserati engine now in the Coupe, Spider and Q-porte? The reason the Dino road car was first made was to homogolize(msp) the engine in order to qualify it to race in FIA events of the era. Ferrari didn't have the capacity at the time to produce enough engines, so Fiat made them instead.If you will read the history of Ferrari, you will note several instances over the years that such tactics were used by Ferrari; remember the 250GTO, it was only allowed to race because Enzo convinced the FIA that it was just an evolotion of the earlier 250 series...which it wasn't, but the FIA wanted Ferrari in the series so bad it looked the other way. You're disagreeing still doesn't change history...neither does the certificates offered by Ferrari or what they post on their website.

25. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Franklin,

By the way. They don't ALL say Fiat on the block. On my car *00474*(37th 246GT) and *00816* it is not on the block. I would love to hear from other early Dino owners to see whats on their block. I have seen them with and without. Also don't believe everything you read. Do your own research. Most authors are lazy and will only repeat data. By the way, Ferrari is now owned by Fiat so now they're ALL by Fiat.

Freeman