Ferrari and Indy Car | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Ferrari and Indy Car

Discussion in 'F1' started by Sig. Roma, May 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. I meant to add to B), it's Arrow McLaren SP (Schmidt Peterson), not Smith-Arrow. "Got it"?

See https://www.indycar.com/Drivers and

" "Today is a moment to reflect on the journey we have just begun," said McLaren's sporting director Gil de Ferran.

"In the few months since we announced Arrow McLaren SP we have signed two of the most exciting young drivers in recent memory and maintained and secured the support of great partners.

"This occasion is also an opportunity to acknowledge the challenges ahead and make a pact with ourselves that nothing other than our full effort and commitment will suffice."

Team co-owner Sam Schmidt said the livery reveal was "not only a car launch but it is representative of thousands of hours of effort by our team members and partners"

Speaking about the livery, O'Ward - who is effectively replacing James Hinchcliffe in the team's #5 car - added: "It really shows what we are trying to portray and what we are trying to do in this new partnership between Arrow and McLaren.

"2020 is the start of something new, not just for me but for the whole Arrow McLaren SP team." "

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Share this article on

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Stop picking on me !! :mad:

The nurse is coming soon, and I didn't have my siesta ...

3. B)Yes it says Alfa on the cars. That's sponsorship. agreed. What's your point?
    The Arrows McLaren SP cars don't say McLaren on the sides......

C) 'Not dificult. I haven't "blamed", "condemned", or "dismissed" the DW12s.
    I just find them boring. I realize they have a place for those that want a show. I am interested in racing and the technology that's involved in non-spec series.

Matter of fact, the contrary (unless I'm at a race), Sundays are days I will stay at home pretty much for certain. I don't drink my beer at home. Pretty much only when I go play some pool, or, like I said, go to a race. ;)

4. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

B) Yes, they are clever, instead of putting logos, they put the sponsor's name McLaren in the title of the team, so the announcer cannot miss to name them.
    Remember we used to call the Lotus "John Players Specials", or say the "Marlboro McLaren", also again the "Ligier Gitanes" ? Wasn't that cool?

C) There is a place for specs series and high-tech series in motor racing. You have to cater for every taste and every budget really.
    I like them both. I even like some handicap series we have in Europe, with weight ballast (BTCC), or time ballast (Dutch Supercar series).
    The World Superbike Championship has a form of reverse grid in some heats that adds to the suspense too, and I like that
    But for F1 and MotoGP, you shouldn't have gimmicks: they are the top series.

5. What are you babbling on and on about? :rolleyes:

6. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I'm going to go with no::

Which would you rather have (using a non-F1 race series)::

Charlotte 600 : Coca Cola 600 ?

7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It makes no difference to me, but I can understand why the sponsor would ask its name to be prominent.

They say the Rolex 24h, and everybody knows they are talking about Daytona.

8. #109 lorenzobandini, Jun 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    Tsk, tsk, tsk. neither. Now we're promoting Charlotte, let alone Coca Cola? What was wrong with the innocuous, original title, The World 600...???
    Answer? Money to be had. 'Same as business names on sports stadiums.

None of this has to do with McLaren becoming a team, albeit in partnership, in IndyCar.

Lotus used "Gold Leaf Team Lotus" when it did because they couldn't have plastered "Gold Leaf" advertising at the time as that was disallowed. Thus, Chapman renamed the team "Gold Leaf Team Lotus"......voila, legal to get the name "Gold Leaf" on there.\.
    I repeat, McLaren is not plastered on the sides of the '12s, as it was there during it's first attempt at the 500 as sponsors; now the team Aroows McLaren SP's sponsors are.

;)

9. Mssr william, you really need to start fact checking yourself before you post (rather than posting falsely, to suit your narative). :p
    There is no "Rolex 24". Maybe you can believe the horse's mouth, DIS itself. The endurancae race is, and has been since '92 ('took over from the "Sun Bank 24 at Daytona"), the"Rolex 24 at Daytona".

To wit: https://www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com/Events/2020/Rolex-24-At-DAYTONA/Rolex-24-At-Daytona.aspx

:)

10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I have heard it many times simply being called the "Rolex 24" by journalists and commentators.

11. And I call Clark Jim or Jimmy all the time. 'Nothing to do with his name actually being Jim Clark. Also 'call the "The Indianapolis 500" "The 500" too, so your significance being?
    We abbreviate things all the time when we're familiar. Matter of fact, when I discuss "The Rolex Twenty-Four at Daytona" (a lotta' syllables), I shorten it even more to just "The Rolex" amongst knowledgeables; everybody knows what I mean.

:)

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    PENSKE: WE’VE TALKED WITH FERRARI ABOUT INDYCAR

https://www.grandprix247.com/2020/06/07/penske-weve-talked-with-ferrari-about-indycar/

Ferrari has engaged in preliminary discussions with Indycar about joining in 2022, says series owner Roger Penske.

Following Ferrari boss Mattia Binotto’s announcement in May that they were considering an entry as part of their need to re-deploy staff and resources due to Formula 1’s impending cost-cap, Penske has now confirmed that talks have taken place.

“Obviously we’re looking at potentially adding other manufacturers,” he told the Brick-by-Brick podcast.

“You probably heard it, there’s been discussions with Ferrari, [who] might be interested in joining the series, coming in 2022 when we have the new engine rules, and that would be a great asset to have a third manufacturer in the series.”

At the same time, the Scuderia are believed to be exploring other avenues such as WEC, but Penske believes there is legitimate interest from them in making a second home in North America, and wants to make it happen.

“We are trying to attract new manufacturers to the sport,” he reiterated. “Ferrari has shown public interest before and so we have sat down for a talk. For IndyCar, Ferrari would be a great addition.”

Nembo1777 likes this.
  13. #114 lorenzobandini, Jun 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    Still sounds oh-so familiar....and I'm still waitin' on that red Dallara bargaining tool.
    The anticipation is also oh-so mounting...... :eek: .....only at about the same speed as Carly's Heinz....... :rolleyes:

As in 35 years ago, we'll hafta' wait and see.....or not..... :cool:

"when we have the new engine rules, and that would be a great asset to have a third manufacturer in the series." doesn't bode so well.
    Sure ain't bankin' on it (engines? Yeah, sure; but twelves? No way, so what would be the excitement? 'Love to eat my words on that one.).
    Matter of fact, who's taking the bets.....? If spec/kit chassis remain, I'm in for a non-entry from the Scuderia.

14. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Third IndyCar engine supplier "will happen" amid Ferrari speculation - Frye

IndyCar president Jay Frye says he remains confident that a third engine manufacturer will join Chevrolet and Honda in the IndyCar Series, as speculation increases that it will be Ferrari.

Ferrari Formula 1 team principal Mattia Binotto told SkySport Italia in mid-May that the company was evaluating the viability of an IndyCar project as F1 introduces budget caps, freeing up financial and human resources for other projects.

Roger Penske, who currently owns both IndyCar and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, said earlier this month that Ferrari is "definitely interested in coming", and now Frye says he believes a third manufacturer will happen "sooner or later".

Frye told Autosport: "As you know, there have been conversations going on with various manufacturers for a few years, but now with Roger being here, that adds another new and very positive element for us.

"I hate saying anything because people will say, 'you've been saying this for three years,' but the truth is that there are other factors that come into it which you can't control. But at some point it's going to happen, I'm confident of it.

"Roger has a huge influence in the automotive world, and I think that will open more eyes to the value and marketing opportunities that IndyCar offers. So I'm very optimistic it will happen, sooner or later. With Ferrari? That would be great. But there are other greatoptions out there too."

Asked if he would judge Ferrari as currently the most likely company to join Honda and Chevrolet in the IndyCar Series, Frye replied: "There are always multiple conversations going on - and then other things like Ferrari can come out of the blue. Eighteen months ago, I'd have said they didn't seem that interested but then something changes in their business world and there's new interest.

"As you and I have spoken about many times in the past, we talk to different manufacturers all the time and Roger - even on the automotive side, before he bought the series and the Speedway - talks to them all the time too."

Formula 1 teams' budget caps of $145m per annum for 2021, $140m for 2022 and then $130m for the next three years has enabled McLaren to step up its involvement in IndyCar, with a full partnership in the Arrow McLaren SP team, formerly Schmidt Peterson Motorsports.

While there is a degree of irony in F1 adopting a regulation that benefits another series, Frye says that cost transparency and laying out a five-year plan have also proven crucial in IndyCar's discussions with manufacturers.

"We worked hard on developing a five-year plan and we also have kept costs under control for all participants," he said.

"Now, the pandemic and its effects have not changed the fundamental plan, even if they may alter the timing a little in terms of when it is activated. It's as we talked about before regarding a more gradual introduction of the new car.

"But the plan is still in place, the economics of IndyCar is, we believe, in a good spot - it's not inexpensive but it is economical - and that's important as we collectively deal with the effects of this pandemic. And the teams know where we're going, what we're going to do.

"One of the things we're trying to do is keep as much as we can the same in 2021 as in '20, not too many technical upgrades for next year, because the economic recovery is going to probably take two or three years."

https://www.autosport.com/indycar/news/150849/third-indycar-engine-supplier-will-happen--frye

Sig. Roma and Nembo1777 like this.
  15. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    A Ferrari without a Ferrari engine??!

Enzo would roll over in his grave. :(

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It looks like Indycar is planning a rule change, although they haven't said anything.

17. No.
    C'mon Mssr william, tell the WHOLE truth.
    The first step IndyCar's planning is other engine mfrs., thus Ferrari. Maybe down the road (HOOORAAAYYYY!!!) some more chassis, again, Ferrari.
    And yes, mssr william, Rogere has mentioned it numerous times. ;)

18. #119 lorenzobandini, Aug 1, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Also TF, for more info, check out the thread from the beginning. All this stuff has been covered already, such as on page 1:
    Only difference from the above is that IndyCar has to approve a mfrs. entry. There isn't just a set of regs., build an engine, and then "here we are.....". Lotus was approved a number of years back, built an engine, came, and it was a flop.
    It, I presume ('but hope not), will be the same for chassis mfrs. We'll just hafta' wait and see.
    ;)

19. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Will they just call it a "Chrysler" engine? ;)

20. I'll bite.
    Why would they do that? I thought that relationship was over a few years ago.
    (Admittedly, I don't follow auto stuff like used to, so I could be mistaken.)

21. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Jeep?

DGS likes this.
  22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Until they change the rules, a COMPLETE Ferrari-built car cannot run at Indianapolis. ;)

This topic has been discussed in several threads already.

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Why would they call it a Chrysler engine?

pilotoCS likes this.
  24. No kidding!!! You're quite alert....we need more lerts..... :p

(Hey...waddaya know...it couldn't run anywhere in IndyCar, period.....!!!!)