Ferrari already throwing in the towel for 2021 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari already throwing in the towel for 2021

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Mar 31, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    I AM NOT asking them to fix the current car.

I am questioning why for many years running they keep making turds AND always having the blanket answer of: "We'll get 'em next year/ Wait until next year."

Other teams don't have this attitude and some of them make gains. Ferrari has a huge budget & staff, yet the turds keep a coming.
    Sent from my Samsung Note 8 using Tapatalk

Boomhauer, Veloce12 and william like this.
  2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Ah ok fair enough.

2017/18 they made fast cars. Not THE fastest unfortunately as Mercedes was still too good.

Ferrari made a huge mistake in their 2019 campaign by having a superb engine but went completely the wrong way in chassis/aero. I'm convinced if they stuck the 2019 engine in a 2018 chassis they'd have won the title. 2020 their engine got taken away and they where now stuck with a bad chassis, aero and no engine at all. Their 2020 engine was build in a very short amount of time resulting in...well 2020.

2021 was supposed to be the all new cars but FIA decided some changes instead for 2021 and teams would get tokens to upgrade their 2020 cars. So Ferrari was still stuck with a bad chassis/aero and a bad engine. They did the best they could with their tools given...there really wasn't a whole lot to be done. Ferrari wrote of 2021 early last year as they knew the limitations the token system provided in their current state.

2022 is a clean slate for everyone. Ferrari can get a headstart whilst Red Bull and Mercedes figure out who can win this years title so inevitably their 2022 development will be affected. IF they concentrate on that car very early on there really aren't any excuses. It's the perfect storm for Ferrari now...

vinny84 and crinoid like this.
  3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Hahaha

McLaren with "their old useless washing machine" (you mean the Renault engine) scored 202 points in the WCC last year and finished 3rd.

Ferrari scored only 131 points and finished 6th . But wait, they even finished behind ... Renault with their obsolete engine (according to you that is).

On this thread, you have been wriggling like a worn; now you have to find better excuses :p

4. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    My point exactly.

With them, it's never a good time to make progress; they just come out with a new set of excuses.

I was flamed for saying once that maybe Ferrari had been too long in F1 and suffered from corporate fatigue.

It seems they want to stay in F1, but have lost the will to excel in it.

Boomhauer and Veloce12 like this.
  5. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    This thread has has unfortunately become a hive of trolls.

stavura, kes7u, fil and 1 other person like this.
  6. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

This thread is fine.

You just call trolls anyone who post something you don't like.

Boomhauer and Veloce12 like this.
  7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Hey what happened to the Lewis Hamilton is an Idiot thread? I can't find it anywhere.

8. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
  9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I didn't say the Ferrari engine was exactly great, did I. Lets see:

I said Ferrari's chassis was bad
    I said Ferrari's aero was bad
    I said Ferrari's engine got taken away

Wriggling like a worm? I give my opinion on why focusing on 2021 is utterly pointless given the limitations of the entire Ferrari car and the upsides of focusing on 2022.

Oh ok, the entire thread you seem to be arguing against the point of focusing on next years complete rule changes, and that they should focus on this year instead. But just like that, you agree that no, they shouldn't be focusing on this year and focus on 2022 instead?

jpalmito likes this.
  10. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    What Ferrari needs is a dynamic leader who will transform the team from what it is, to what it can and should be. If Toto took over the team, it would change for the better. If Colin Chapman came back from the dead and took over the team, he'd be reinventing the car every five minutes. Marko was a race driver in the days when it was really dangerous, he knows what it takes to drive to win even when the car isn't the best. I sense that there is no fire, no leader at Ferrari, just groups, each with their own little area, but no hammer beating on the nails, no fear of god madman, no genius. Their current effort is a failure because they've created a culture of failure.

vinny84, Veloce12 and william like this.
  11. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Indeed this is my biggest fear with Binotto as a leader.
    We will have a clear answer in 2022.

vinny84 and Veloce12 like this.
  12. simpen

simpen Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2016
    Their biggest mistake was not coming clean after cheating with their engine. I know most people on here don't want to admit anything suspicious happened at all, but they put all their eggs in the basket with the illegal engine with no plan B. Sour grapes when you get caught and the rest of the concept does not work anymore. But worst of all, it seems they have learnt nothing from it. The same team that made the questionable decision to run with the illegal engine, is now in charge to solve the problem, for which their solution was an illegal engine! The Binotto boys threw in the towel already before 2019 and I seriously doubt they will get the show back on the road. Ferrari should have fired Binotto to set the example. In refraining to do so, they made failure acceptable.

Boomhauer, Veloce12 and william like this.
  13. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    You just forget this the same team who is responsible for the pretty good 2017-2018 cars.
    They have to deliver a championship contender next year.
    Firing Binotto would just add instability and more years of pain I am certain.

vinny84 and 375+ like this.
  14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Making public statements about lower expectation and hoping for better times in future are laughable coming from Maranello.
    A team like Ferrari should be focussed on the job all the time without relaxing their effort, or they will be no different than their engine customers.

Veloce12 likes this.
  15. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

If the FIA rules begin to open up fair competition to other teams, Ferrari can develop and move forward.

If the FIA rules continue to support Mercedes interests, Ferrari should withdraw from F1 and focus on Le Mans instead.

One positive sign is the Safety Car is now, finally, a more interesting Aston Martin.

fil and Bas like this.
  16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I genuinely do not know how to make it clearer to you:

With limited tokens, they are limited with what they can only develop with their chassis/aero/engine.

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I don't think I am the only one criticising Ferrari's defeatist attitude, but we are all trolls, right?

Boomhauer likes this.
  18. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Until there is a complete regs / tokens reset, Ferrari are being pragmatic.

crinoid, fil and 375+ like this.
  19. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    You can criticize Ferrari all you like, so long you come up with solid arguments. I provide a counter argument to yours, including actual facts why the car is extremely unlikely to be developed into a title contender for this year and time is simply better spend on a 2022 car instead. You in turn don't provide any argument except for calling them losers.

Some would call that trolling.

vinny84, stavura, 355TDI and 5 others like this.
  20. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The worm turns.

21. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    It that the polished worm or the unpolished worm ?

375+ likes this.
  22. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Nothing of the sort happened.

A new regulation was put in place. Ferrari engine lost power big time, nobody else' engine seems to have lost any power.

How is the taking away their engine--what is was is preventing future cheating.

Boomhauer and william like this.
  23. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Until the FIA publishes it's findings, the engine was not illegal.

Most likely the engine exploited a particular shade of grey area within the rules, and the FIA was embarrased by Ferrari's ingenuity.

Fair play to Ferrari for trying something radical. On this occassion the FIA didn't like it so tough luck, but history shows us it's a mixed bag with FIA bans on ingenuity.

Was worth a shot.

vinny84, stavura, Bas and 4 others like this.
  24. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 Exactly

25. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Radical in that it allowed more gasoline to flow per unit time than allowed by the rules. How is that not cheating ?

william likes this.