Ferrari 599 Headlight Conversion | FerrariChat

Ferrari 599 Headlight Conversion

Discussion in '612/599' started by dsj26, Jan 13, 2021.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dsj26

dsj26 Rookie

Jan 13, 2021
    Full Name:
    David javid
    I've owned an 07 599 for a few years now and love the car except the how weak the headlights are at night.

I wanted to know from other owners if they have experienced this and if they were able improve the brightness by converting it to someone better.

I appreciate your input.

David

Justin Hughes likes this.
  2. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Conversion to what?? Do you know how expensive each unit is??

3. dsj26

dsj26 Rookie

Jan 13, 2021
    Full Name:
    David javid
    Something brighter. Either LED or whiter HID. Keep the headlight but switch out the bulb assy

4. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Headlight design is no where near that simple. The projector has to match the bulb design or your beams will not be well formed. AND while it may appear brighter because of the scatter you often lose actual range on the headlights. There are a lot of people doing it in the US but it generally makes for terrible results when tested against OEM.

brogenville likes this.
  5. dsj26

dsj26 Rookie

Jan 13, 2021
    Full Name:
    David javid
    Thank you Skidkid for your reply. I love my car but these lights were so poorly designed and there is no option for even fog lights to improve visibility at night.

6. Volquete

Volquete Rookie

Jan 10, 2021
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Ivan
    Mine are in top shape, and lights up a lot of meters ( feet?); maybe it’s the xenon gas that’s more or less not in optimal conditions or the “bulb” per se. Either way , you can find ( although I don’t recommend) stronger xenon kit boxes and switch them . It CAN be done but gives your Ferrari that very bright blueish xenon look more appropriate of a tuned Supra ....

7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Different color spectrum doesn't' extend range. The kits that are higher wattage produce a LOT more heat with the associated issues. If there is lower output, maybe a bulb replacement or maybe a weak transformer.

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    First thing to try would seem to be new OEM type bulbs and a good spray of the connectors with contact cleaner. If still bad, back to the drawing board.

crinoid, George Vosburgh and dsj26 like this.
  9. dsj26

dsj26 Rookie

Jan 13, 2021
    Full Name:
    David javid
    Definitely I don't want the blueish boy racer look. My Xenon light up pretty far, it's just that it's not bright. Jeremey Clarkson said the same thing to that its like driving by candlelight.

10. dsj26

dsj26 Rookie

Jan 13, 2021
    Full Name:
    David javid
    I can give that a try that. I have 2020 Mazda CX-9 with Xenon as a daily driver and its super bright. I was hoping somehow I can take the bulb of one and put it in the other.

11. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Well, the systems from 2007 and the systems from 2020 are very different, technology changes. The bulbs may not be compatible; I have never checked. If you want to go down this path you need to start doing some research on what system is in the car and what my be compatible.

dsj26 likes this.
  12. Volquete

Volquete Rookie

Jan 10, 2021
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Ivan
    I was thinking more about brightness rather than range , seeing that that was his main issue ...

13. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I've never heard of anyone else having this problem. I hope someone comes up with a simple solution. Maybe Scud Ing Swiss could come up with something.

14. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    So the blue-white bulbs are generally less bright than the other bulbs. They get them to that color spectrum by filtering out the other (lower frequency) light. SO, they actually put out less light than the full spectrum bulbs. Now, different wavelengths of light have different characteristics in dispersion, reflector design, etc. So you usually end up with headlights that don't actually light the road as well and tend to cause more glare for oncoming drivers. Not a great combination if you ask me.

15. Volquete

Volquete Rookie

Jan 10, 2021
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Ivan
    No, not a good combination. I don’t and wouldn’t recommend it. If u can drive with my 355 stock lights , he can go to the moon in his 599:)

Skidkid likes this.