Ferrari 599 GTB, Undervalued or what? | FerrariChat

Ferrari 599 GTB, Undervalued or what?

Discussion in '612/599' started by clivatr0n, Feb 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. clivatr0n

clivatr0n Rookie

Feb 5, 2021
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Cliva Tron
    Hi there guys.
    Dipping my toe into the glorious world of Ferrari ownership and would dearly like your honest viewpoint on the Ferrari 599 GTB (not the GTO)

Been watching the 599 market over the last few months including heaps of videos on the car and think there awesome pieces of machinery. Sitting gloriously in between the 612 and F12 i personally think the 599, especially in GTB form, is undervalued right now for what you get.

So, before i reach out an buy one, really want to be aware of the joys, and most importantly any of the pitfalls off 599 ownership (running costs, unforeseen issues etc) that you'd like to share?

Also,
    1. Is it undervalued for a reason?
    2. Colours to avoid for re-sale purposes
    3. Is the HTE pack truly worth it
    4. Is the F1 single clutch gearbox be the cars historical achillies heal

Truly appreciate your honest, and if required, brutal feedback :)

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  3. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    FORZA has two 599 Buyer's Guides: August 2014 and April 2021.

mrp_e likes this.
  4. clivatr0n

clivatr0n Rookie

Feb 5, 2021
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Cliva Tron
    #4 clivatr0n, Feb 5, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  5. clivatr0n

clivatr0n Rookie

Feb 5, 2021
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Cliva Tron
    Appreciated. Will definately take a look.
    Oh, i'm a gentle 52 year out of London, England

6. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Some folk know more about these cars than others: Elias at Autoficcina is one

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They were a very nice machine that IMO was then caught by replacement models chasing a more modern tech.
    Also the first to have Ferrari say: "here you will LOVE an F1 gearbox, so STFU about anything else".....:/

But the reason they are a falling knife, value wise, is simply the later, newer models, as well as the huge ramp up in Ferrari production once the company went public.

I agree with you, "what's not to like" and I'm sure I would adjust to the paddles

mrp_e likes this.
  8. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Get on clubscuderia.co.uk, some very experienced owners on there.

As to value; they sell at what people will pay so not necessarily undervalued, just at a point in the £ curve, where that curve goes next...if it really matters to you you probably should get into one!

9. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    The latest issue of Forza magazine # 188 for April 2021 again contains a retrospective on the 599 model. I believe you may still read the earlier issues on the previous 599 write up via www.forza-mag.com

I've owned an early 2007 (manufactured Sept 2006) 599 GTB as well as a late 2011 599HGTE so I can truly relate how they differ. IMHO, the factory-installed HGTE version is definitely worth the slight difference in pricing from a regular GTB model. Handling / steering is much better, the magnetorheological dampers are better calibrated and improved, the F1 transmission shifts faster (80ms vs 100ms) in Race mode. All of which are perceptible, if your seat-of-the pants are able to distinguish the improvements.

Likewise, the interiors are more sumptuous with lots of CF, Recaro racing seats are installed with full CF back, every aluminum item on the dashboard has been replaced by CF (I switched my aluminum paddles to the CF 458 Challenge paddles for $999 and worth every penny <shilling for you, mate>). In the EU and UK, I believe the HGTE was introduced in 2009 and in 2010 here in the US. Upgrade kits were made available for 2007-2009 (depending on 2007 serial number).

I've also fancied the F12 with its major controls on the steering wheel and 7-speed DCT which is a modern take, but somehow the 599 provides me with a more analog feel since the F1 tranny is truly a manual but shifted using an electro-hydraulic-mechanical device to actuate its clutch. With less electronic controls, the 599 require more skills from the driver to take up to its limits. If you haven't, check out Jeremy Clarkson's driving review of the F12 which "scared" him with "too much power".

Immo and willcrook like this.
  10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Same shocks on standard GTBs and HGTE, but the body/shock ECU makes them feel firmer.

Texas Forever and of2worlds like this.
  11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    not as many as here. :)

RedNeck likes this.
  12. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    This is true. But they have done some interesting stuff and can advise on service stuff this side of the pond.
    But, I’m looking forward to reading the above in detail as I’ve been thinking of a 599 or F12 as well; just need to magic my 2 car garage into a 3 car garage lol!!

of2worlds likes this.
  13. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Buyers must have taken Ferrari advice to heart as only thirty 3 pedal 599's were sold. Perhaps the extra 6 months delay in delivery with the 3 pedal cars was a further disincentive to buy.

14. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    At the time people also chose the most consistent configuration - the 599 was up-to-date technology, its F1 system was objectively very good and there was no artificial retro-fashion for modern cars then.
    Second hand manual 599 were very hard to sell for some time, and for some good reasons IMHO.

599_GTO and of2worlds like this.
  15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    yes, locals can help and there are some different things market conditions and service/parts approaches.

A348W likes this.
  16. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    1. They're not undervalued. They're right where they should be.
    2. Yellow. I like it but most will say, Wow that's a big banana. It's just too big for Yellow.
    3. No. It's not.
    4. The 599 F1 is glorious. It's the reason TO buy the car, not avoid it.

Been a while since my 599 but I recall the weak points being the shocks and the suspension bits. Eurospares is your friend.

17. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I agree with all but #3. The HGTE is worth the price. Very different to drive with that option.

gstudent likes this.
  18. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yeah that one's subjective.

Sent from my SM-N960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Texas Forever and Skidkid like this.
  19. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think the 599 is an excellent car and a great Ferrari. Its extremely fast... almost the only thing faster is a newer Ferrari ... which is why the prices have dropped... the f-12 and 812 have pushed the market down. It also seems a harder sell on the V-12's... not sure other than I think when people think of Ferrari they think mid-engined - 360- 458 - F8 etc... vs. front-engined. even all models are mid-engine ... the mid-front just don't seem to have captured the average Ferrari buyer... i think the older you get the more value the front-engined cars have.

My 599 is great - easy to drive, easy to live with ( except its lower and HGTE pkg makes steep driveways a bit of a problem.... and its amazingly fast and aggressive when you want it to be. its still able to frighten quickly ... just like an F12 or 812... they just do it a bit faster... after 3 sec 0-60 ... its all bar talk... you are having to change your shorts driving anything with a 4 sec or better 0-60 time.... so the rest is just academic. the sound of the v-12 at about 3K around town... is perfect... in 2nd gear. you have to get above 4.5K to really open it up ... but the problem is you are way past legal speeds in any gear except 1st. I've had mine for just over year... I have a weeping radiator so I have to fix that - its expensive, but so far not much else to deal with ... I don't like that I cant really tinker on it my self... but in the end... that is a tiny nuisance. The other downer is its a large car. its wide. big and hard to park ( front underside gets banged up ) ... sticky switches ( mine have been fixed, ) but that is an expensive stupid Ferrari thing on any newer Ferrari.

so my con's are:

1. can be expensive to repair - $10K for radiator... Ouch! $10K for clutch.. $11K TFT screens...
    2. Low - they get the front ends banged up a bit.
    3. front tires do tend to wear faster
    4. they are large cars to maneuver in tight spaces - parking garages or tight parking lots
    5. sticky buttons / switches ( all Ferrari's after the 328 have this problem)
    6. insanely fast & no cruise control... its hard to stay legal on a high way long ride...
    7. lots of 599s have tons of Carbon in them... so it gets a bit loud and squeeky...
    8. Factory radios suck... no blue tooth - so there is some technology that needs to be upgraded
    9. super hard to check oil level.. there is a whole process that is hard to follow... result is if you do your own oil change - likely to overfill. & you have to put in the Petronas oil supplement
    10. engines when they get warm can get tappety... sounds like valve clatter ... but its just an annoyance vs. a real issue.

Immo, gstudent, VAF84 and 2 others like this.
  20. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    Three years ago I went shopping for a 599 nut bought a 612 OTO HGT2 instead. Both great cars and, in my opinion, both are at their lowest prices.
    I think all the 12s are at their lows ( except a 456 with a GM slush box).

Boomhauer likes this.
  21. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Totally agree with all the cons here. I re-did the front of my driveway so I don't have to worry about the clearance anymore. Of all the things you mentioned the one that makes me truly crazy is the radio. I bought mine from the original owner, but if I had spent $350K on this car with this radio, the dealer would have seen it coming through the showroom window.

Wingzero and Camp Freddie like this.
  22. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    They come with radios?

NGooding, mrp_e, Ian Daviau and 6 others like this.
  23. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    When I got my 612 almost 8 years ago I turned on the radio just to see if it worked. I'm guessing it still does. :D

NGooding, vjd3, phil the brit and 2 others like this.
  24. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    They have bluetooth for your phone as well. Or at least my car does. You can't stream music to the radio but the phone works well.

25. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Full Bluetooth streaming and calls for your old Ferrari-Becker stereo for about £80.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392048354723

Or you can do music streaming only for about £10.

Simple tech upgrade that doesn’t spoil the aesthetic.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Skidkid likes this.