Ferrari 575 Manifold / Precat water jacket leaking | FerrariChat

Ferrari 575 Manifold / Precat water jacket leaking

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by christc, Jan 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Dear All,

the 575 of a friend of mine has a problem. The Manifold / Precat water jacket leaks water inside the cats. Two of the four manifolds are crap. See pic.

Are there better replacements, e.g. out of stainless, available?

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks
    Christopher
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.
  2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Water jackets? What are you talking about? There is no water involved with the manifolds in any way.
    And to me anyway the pictures are not showing me anything to support your question.

And those already are stainless.

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Are you referring to the air injection system?

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Has your friend done something to his 575M that changed the fuel/air settings enough to put raw gasoline in the precats? Like Brian said, the nearest water to that manifold is in the block and head.

5. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Must.be a German thing. :) Coolant to cool down the exhaust. God idea...... :)

6. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Sorry, perhaps I misunderstood something. He came to me and asked me if I could fix his manifolds. The official Ferrari dealer removed them and told him that they are leaking. To show it to him they put water in one of the threaded opening and it came out of the cat. I assumed that the jacket has normally water inside, perhaps to faster preheat cooling water. I have no knowledge about the 575, so please excuse my false assumption based on limited knowledge of the 585. My question is the following: Is there a better replacement for the manifolds than the original Ferrari ones?

Thanks
    Christopher

7. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #7 F456M, Jan 12, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2020
    You can buy other headers from Supersprint or from Fiammenghi, but that also require that you replace all four and the rear catalyzers too. The 575 have a total of six catalyzers! One in each manifold + one more on each side after the manifolds... The easiest thing would be just to replace them. But one manifold including the pre-catalyst cost about 2.500 euro each... I can get you one good used (only the left rear) for 1.500 euro if you are interested.

Erik

8. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
  9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Erik- Fabio's headers do away with the precats, so there are only two primary cats in his system and they are aft of the headers.

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You still have not explained why they are bad. If the dealer put water in one of the threaded fittings I would expect it to come out the cat. If that was indeed their sales pitch they are trying to screw him for some very expensive parts.

F456M likes this.
  11. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    The threaded fitting should be the O2 sensor bung which goes into the exhaust stream... Im assuming

12. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    Can he take plug the holes with rubber stoppers and apply a little air pressure to find the leak?