Ferrari 550 Maranello problem with the clutch | FerrariChat

Ferrari 550 Maranello problem with the clutch

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by vacanza, Jun 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vacanza

vacanza Rookie

Jun 12, 2021
    Around the world
    Full Name:
    Vacanza
    Hi guys,I have a problem with my Ferrari.
    After six months of stop, the clutch pedal became soft.
    I press the pedal, it lowers and comes back up, but I can't change gear.
    What happened?
    I await advice and suggestions.
    What should I check?
    Thank you

Attached Files:

2. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    Is it a hydraulic clutch? First check the fluid and bleed the system. If that does not work, the seals in the master cylinder and/or the slave cylinder may have failed. These are periodic maintenance items.

vacanza likes this.
  3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    There are a couple possibilities. One is air in the system but if you are asking you probably do not have access to what it takes to bleed the slave in your garage. Another is failed seals where the pedal just pushes and the old seals have given up and the fluid is passing the seals so the slave can't move. Another is seized parts from inaction and you are just not getting movement. All these things require access to fix. That means car up in air and undertray off and the tools to get the job done including possibly torque tube off and clutch bellhouse off. That's a lot of work for the diy and if you don't have a lift in your garage it is masochisim to try and diy.

As a hail mary you might start the car and let it warm up. Sometimes the heat will swell the seals and you might get some pump action on the clutch enough to engage gears. That might get you to the repair shop.

vacanza likes this.
  4. vacanza

vacanza Rookie

Jun 12, 2021
    Around the world
    Full Name:
    Vacanza
    Thank you

5. vacanza

vacanza Rookie

Jun 12, 2021
    Around the world
    Full Name:
    Vacanza
    Thanks everyone, your suggestions were important.
    My car is in the workshop, Rossocorsa Ferrari authorized center. It will be ready next week.

6. vacanza

vacanza Rookie

Jun 12, 2021
    Around the world
    Full Name:
    Vacanza
    La mia Ferrari è pronta, domani andrò in officina a ritirarla. Grazie a tutti per i suggerimenti