Ferrari 488GT debuts at Daytona 24 2016 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 488GT debuts at Daytona 24 2016

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BigTex, Dec 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jetdok5

jetdok5 Karting

Oct 4, 2014
    warren ohio usa
    Full Name:
    bruce gray
    Back in ohio after a couple very nice racing days, thanks Str8shooter for the great pics. I will be back for the big show and 488 drive. Does anyone know if an infield parking pass in included with the Ferarri Hospitality pass? I see no mention. I will be there the 3 days but sure am not looking forward to walking over a mile to the outside parking lot.

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #27 GuyIncognito, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I would sure like to take that car around daytona for some laps. Daytona is an easy track but really fun to race.

4. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    all it takes is a really big check.... :D

5. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    I really like the side-rear air intakes.

6. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
  7. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Crazy complicated...wonder what that is all about.

8. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Yes, me too. I wonder if these little 'walls' in the intake has any advantage but as you said..crazy complicated..

9. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #34 Str8shooter, Jan 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    at the 24, perhaps some folks will get some images from inside the engine bay as it's pretty impressive.

The ducts on the new GT3 and GTE car are quite complex inside, for both cooling and aero optimization. There are airboxes and ducts in there, for the turbos, intercoolers, various fluid radiators, plus to channel the air. Believe me, there is some very nice CF behind there....

11. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes, the Ferrari Hospitality package includes infield parking, right at the hospitality tent at turn 1.

12. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Question - did you receive your passes and does it actually have a pass? Only asking in that we had (also) heard they are trying to make that a Ferrari-only corral (which they have tried in past years). With Daytona Rising completed and a big crowd, they were re-working the parking plans as late as last month.

As for the parking at Daytona, the track runs trams 24 hours, it is a hassle (especially when cold and wet) but you can ride in from any outside lots. Trams make multiple stops, the end point is in the middle of the paddock, takes 10mins.

Last, if you are coming for the entire weekend and want to move around the track, and don't want to walk, you can rent golf carts, which help if you want to get over to Turn 1 or the Bus Stop, etc. Just remember to take the keys....2 years ago we had to "pull over" an elderly couple who had taken our golf cart in spite of the all the labels and decals

13. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hmmm. The Daytona Rising element does raise a question.

Perhaps I should have said 'Yes, the Ferrari Hospitality package has included reserved infield parking right at their turn 1 tent in previous years, and I was told it would again this year.' But if infield parking plans are still in flux, I guess the correct answer is 'stay tuned.'

14. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    to be clear, I don't KNOW re hospitality, just asking.

What I DO know is they've moved drivers and team parking from Lot 1 (outside Turn 1) to Lot 6 this year and that's what FNA has also been telling us...

For the 4th straight year, I forgot to just buy infield parking, but realistically, if you park in Turn 1, Turn 4 is about a mile walk anyway....

15. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    F14GT 2874

16. jetdok5

jetdok5 Karting

Oct 4, 2014
    warren ohio usa
    Full Name:
    bruce gray
    when I spoke to FNA about my 488 drive time, I was told to print out the barcode and that was my pass......nothing about parking, but, I did not ask then. I guess we will see

17. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    After watching all of the races I could find on TV over the years. The 458 conclusion I came to was great brakes,handling,cornering. BUT losing ground coming off the corners as in lack of TQ. They should have a nice fat TQ curve now and I hope to see them at least stay even coming off corners. TQ wins races. Makes a car easier to drive. Just IMHO and hope for a dominating season. GTS Bruce

18. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

lol...the turbo era returns? only for Ferrari? all these years, Porsche should have been allowed to compete with their turbo but noooooooooon dice. we shall see what happens w/ the 488?

19. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    BMW and Ford are using turbos as well.

I suspect the new RSR will too whenever it's released (17 or 18).

if you're using halo car GT racing as an engineering exercise for road car development (a la EcoBoost), turbo or hybrid is the only way to go now.

20. ferraripete

chas,

I would have liked Porsche to have been able to have raced their turbo car when corvette was winning and when the 458 came on. my thinking was that in the dealerships, the 997 turbo was lined up with the 458 offering from Ferrari. the race version of the Ferrari was faster than the normally aspirated rsr but would have been served up as desert to the turbo Porsche in race trim.

I know, I know...but just my emotional and simple thinking. :)

21. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    with the 996 forward Porsche has wanted their performance pinnacle car to be the GT3/RS models and not the turbos (which you can debate all day long, really). in much the same way Corvette stuck with tying the C6R to the Z06 not the ZR1. it's all about marketing ;)

22. ferraripete

I agree with you chas but you and I both know how dominate Porsche has been classically when the blowers were put to the race cars:)

just personally wanted to see turbo rsr's again during the alms days and now for the grand am formula...especially if Ferrari will be running the 488.

let's see Porsche open up the can of whoop azz again:)

23. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    :D

24. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Thanks!

It looks.....complex!

25. ferraripete