Ferrari 488 Pista Sport Auto Supertest | FerrariChat

Ferrari 488 Pista Sport Auto Supertest

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Igor1982, Oct 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Igor1982

Igor1982 Rookie

Dec 22, 2017
    Full Name:
    Igor Gerasimchuk
  2. thebigo

thebigo Karting

Feb 10, 2019
  3. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    Wow.

4. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    Mama mia! I really admire the skills of these drivers and the courage it takes to turn these lap times. I had the opportunity to drive this circuit when we took European delivery of our Mercedes. It was like something out of Mad Max...and we were in a big ol' S560. It was so strange to be on the road with a bunch of other loonies going at crazy speeds. Gotta love the Germans.

The Pista continues to earn admiration. It's legend seems to be growing with each review.

Shadowfax and Caeruleus11 like this.
  5. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    hmm...I expected a 6.54ish....definitely a time under 7:00...

6. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Keep in mind that these are press times, not factory attempts, so you can't compare them to the times that manufacturers claim. It is some 10s quicker than the next quickest car this publication has tested! That said, I find the Ring a bad metric of performance.

jpalmito and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  7. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    If the Pista ran 6:45, you would think it only demonstrates how superior the Pista really is. Since the time was adequate, but not scintillating, the Ring is viewed as not an accurate measure of the true capability of the car.

Shadowfax, nmcclure and tekaefixe like this.
  8. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Since you are clearly referring to me, let me inform you that I have been saying this for years (scripta manent); it has nothing to do with the Pista.

9. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Track performance is significant in that it will demonstrate the objective capabilities of the car- steering, speed, handling, grip, braking, chassis rigidity etc with the results being quantifiable. For those who do not track their cars, driving dynamics on the road is infinitely more significant. A track focused car may not only not be optimized for road use but may be actually undesirable in daily or semi daily driving. As car enthusiasts, it is comforting when our car of choice performs in a stellar fashion on the track eventhough it may have little relevance to non trackers.

Shadowfax likes this.
  10. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I do track and agree with the above. I am saying the the Nordschleife is not a good metric. Too long, thus slight driving errors and weather conditions on different part of it have a huge impact on lap time, undulated tarmac that suits a specific set-up that won't work on other tracks, not to mention the laughable places like the Karussell. The Ring GP circuit, for example, is much more representative.

11. thebigo

thebigo Karting

Feb 10, 2019
    But. if a car is really fast there, it will be fast anywhere.

Shadowfax and Coincid like this.
  12. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This is a great time. Pista is a monster. I wouldn’t be surprised if it bested a Laferrari at many tracks.

Melons likes this.
  13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Not true. It requires different settings (higher riding, less stiff) than proper tracks.

14. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    On the same tyres (R compound) the LF will be a lot quicker.

15. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I doubt it. But we'll never know.

16. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Nicely summarised!

NR being so long with many variables is definitely not your typical track which is why a fast time there means more to most.

Times produced on short tracks with smooth predictable surfaces and easy to remember corners provide for an easier repetition of times, but don’t give the same measure of a cars all round capabilities out in a real world driving situation such as the NR is able to provide.

458-Italia, thebigo and Coincid like this.
  17. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    No way. NR shows more about the driver. Cars capabilities can be shown on short or long tracks. What matters more is the characteristics of that track. NR is interesting because it has a lot of different sections (fast and slow). But it’s just sooo long that it ends up being a driving exercise more so than a car showcase.

LVP488 likes this.
  18. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    My point is that the NR has the types of conditions these cars are more likely going to encounter during the majority of time they are driven. Most other tracks are manufactured with manicured corners and surfaces. NR is a test of both man and machine. - and without either a time cannot be set anyway. This is why most see NR as the ultimate test of man and machine against the road. Respect the NR! Every manufacturer wants to be king of the ring whether they care to admit it or not. Anyone saying the NR times mean nothing probably have a car that would never be able to bring home a good time there.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  19. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    No and no. You know, we had longer tracks in Europe (Circuito di Pescara, have you ever heard of it?). Hitler just built the Ring and the German manufacturers made a big deal out of it. Great marketing them Jerries...