Ferrari 488 owner opinions sought for article | FerrariChat

Ferrari 488 owner opinions sought for article

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Modificata, Aug 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Hi All

Many of you will have seen our recent 458 Buyers Guide. Well, I'm in the process of writing something similar for the Ferrari 488 and getting some ownership opinions will be invaluable.

What I am looking for are opinions, experience, problems and plus points from current or previous owners. What made you buy it, what do you now like or dislike? Anything interesting that new buyers will find interesting will be great. This will be covering all 488 models.

Realistically it will be about a week before my article goes live, so if you would like to be included please PM me up to 350 words. Oh and a picture of your car too for inclusion in the article.

Many thanks in advance!
    Andy

2. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Here you go , ill ruffle a few feathers

The 488 GTB is the best Ferrari ever ! Only surpassed by the Pista and the F8

Napoli, Modificata, Shadowfax and 3 others like this.
  3. 488mct

488mct Rookie

Feb 6, 2017
    Oman
    great car ! unreal power with amazing handling and balance, exhaust note lacking till the butterfly valves open up easy fix to open valves permanently. Looks wise I would call it graceful, I believe it will age better than some other models which might be too radical. Minor issues with Radio but quickly sorted out with dealership.

Modificata and F1 corsa like this.
  4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    As many have written in the forums, I found the car boring and lacking traditional Ferrari soul. Mostly due to the loss in visceral experience ie sounds.

5. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Did you buy one ?

If so why ?

If you didn't , did you read the title of the thread ? Or are you just a sxxt stirring old man ?

Shadowfax likes this.
  6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Yep, spider.

7. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Then why buy it ?

SVR and Shadowfax like this.
  8. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Same reason as every other car.

9. Michaelw488

Michaelw488 Karting

Mar 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael W
    488 spider is soooo much Fn. fun to look at,drive, listen(valves open permanently)talk about,play with & so much more!

Modificata and Shadowfax like this.
  10. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The twin turbo charged 488 does one thing quite well: it instantly makes you regret selling your normally aspirated 458.

Feel free to print that in your article...

Ray

Modificata and tickerhound like this.
  11. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    +1

12. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Too much bloody money :)

Modificata likes this.
  13. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Not many responses

Why because we don’t need to justify how great the 488 is

Shadowfax likes this.
  14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #14 Shadowfax, Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    Money or no money it still makes no sense why anyone would buy a car if they don't like it. Odd indeed!

I guess buying a car you dont like makes about the same amount of sense as posting on a Ferrari forum under the guise of being an ex Ferrari owner in what so far appears to be the only reason to take pot shots at the Ferrari brand at every given opportunity. I mean why would you bother? Very strange..

Only thing that makes sense is from being so butt hurt from blowing a chance at getting a certain Ferrari allocation and then told to take a walk. So by posting here is a means to get square somehow?

Anyway fwiw I thought the 488 was a bloody great car other than a few minor misgivings. No regrets.

MANDALAY and F1 corsa like this.
  15. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I simply don't understand how people can spend 250k-300k on a car they don't like (or quite a bit more if bought brand new)... That sounds completely foreign to me.

Did you guys not test drive the car first before buying?

Most people bash 488 for lacking soul or being boring, but why the heck did you spend so much money on a boring car? You can clearly tell how the car sounds on a test drive.

Life is too short (and depreciation is too large) to buy cars you don't like. Usually with a test drive and reading ample car reviews you get a good sense of what the car is like. Understandably some things can sneak by on a test drive that bug you later, but lack of exhaust sound is not of those things. That can be heard the first time you put your right foot on the gas peddle on a test drive.

I kinda wish I was part of the "458 forever/ NA for life" crew... Life would be so much cheaper as I'd never have to buy a new car again :)

LVP488, F1 corsa, Shadowfax and 3 others like this.
  16. xfrgtr

xfrgtr Karting

Jul 20, 2011
    Agree

17. Michaelw488

Michaelw488 Karting

Mar 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael W
    Why would anyone choose to live in regret must really feel terrible get a 458!

18. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Interesting conversations guys. Thanks!

Also thanks to the two people who have emailed me lengthy opinions for the Buyers Guide. Both will be included. If anyone else wants to have their buying and ownership included please send via PM. Thanks.

19. oper8

oper8 Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Did you every write the 488 buyers guide article? I can't seem to locate it on this site.

20. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Curious also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Atlplastic

Atlplastic Rookie

Dec 23, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert A Colgrove Jr
    Totally awesome beautiful car. Craftsmanship and finish is amazing. Put it in the race mode and bring the RPMs up and it will be loud enough that you can’t hold a conversation with your passenger with the top down or the rear window down.
    The ride is excellent considering it is a sports car. My Porsche or lambo never rode that good. No regrets. Appears to be holding its value fairly well but not a big concern. Had an issue with the dealer doing the yearly service but that was resolved satisfactory. I am the second owner of this vehicle that had a build price of 398,000. Not something I would do but I am glad he did it. I have been able to enjoy all the nice options without paying the full price. Hope to keep the car for several years. Don’t see any advantage of a naturally aspirated engine since I can’t detect the turbo lag. Does not really feel any different than the GT three or Lambo except for the increased horsepower and torque. All in all a great vehicle.
    Bob C

SVR, LVP488, greg328 and 1 other person like this.