Ferrari 488 H&R springs | FerrariChat

Ferrari 488 H&R springs

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Senna2394, Oct 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Senna2394

Senna2394 Karting

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    Yousof
    Hi i have searched here and on Google. Cant find anyone running H&R lowering springs on the 488.
    All I can find is a video on a company who installs them on youtube.

I got my 488 today and it really sits to high in the rear.
    Has anyone got H&R springs on their 488?

Have read also that you can lower stock suspension can someone explain how to do it?

2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Never heard i
    Of it for a 488. Drove a 458 with them, and as good as it was on track, equally terrible was it on the street. If you do it for the looks and only track a few times per year, if at all, get Novi springs. If hou track and want a lower stance, get a set of Pista springs. They will drop the car about 15mm and you can turn it down 10-15mm more on the collar. Think long and hard before getting H&R unless you track a lot, because they are not good street springs.

What you may have seen is someone installing 458 H&R springs on a 488.

I think Novi springs is your best bet.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Novitec springs are the only way to go. Just a better thought out product. The Novitec springs are made for them by KW which is amount the top in this area.

I was very very reluctant to use lowering springs on my 488 but I researched and went with Novitec and I am beyond pleased. The car rides like stock, actually somewhat better over bumps and less lean in the corners. KW springs are a better product and Novitec did a great job proven over and over by many people.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  4. VelocityTexas

VelocityTexas Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2019
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Does the 488 have the ability to be lowered using the stock springs like the 458? My 458 is lowered on factory springs and if the 488 can be as well why not try that first?

5. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Yes. Ferrari of Atlanta did mine.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. Senna2394

Senna2394 Karting

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    Yousof
    How much did you lower?
    Can you lower only the rear?
    How much did you pay?

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You can lower in all four corners. You should not lower more than 20mm on all four corners. Actually you should not lower more than 10-15mm on stock springs. There's more to it than just how low can it be turned down. When you lower, you tighten up the sway bars, and if the spring rate is not right, it will drive worse. The lowered Novi springs are made for the changes, the OE springs are not. Again, don't be cheap about ti, you will end up ruining a great car for no reason.

If you lower it and adjust the collars, make damn sure who do it know what they are doing. They are so easy to damage and cross thread, and many who normally do good work, have run into this. Get someone who has done it on 458 or 488's do it, don't just let someone crank on them. They need to come out of the car to be loosened as well. If you don't have a shop with experience, get your Ferrari dealer to do it.

Look through this thread again, lots of people with experience. See a trend? Do yourself a favour and listen to what people advise. Why be cheap when a set of springs made for the job is so cheap all things considered? Trust me, a damaged strut or a car that rides worse, is not worth it. It is your car so you can do with it what you want of course, but why not do it right instead of doing a hack job.

Good luck on your project.

SVR, blkdiablo33 and Senna2394 like this.
  8. Senna2394

Senna2394 Karting

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    Yousof

Thanks for the adivce. Will look for novitec springs then. Its more easier to change to them than to play around and change the stock height right?

9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    When you do the Novi springs, you might need to fine tune the height. What height it lands on, depends on a few things, such as optioons, driver etc. Additionally, when doing suspension changes like these, the absolute best way of doing it, is to use corner weights. Lowering with the springs is not really about making it easier, it's about doing it the right way so to speak. But the Novi springs will have several advantages over lowering on stocks, insluding ride, performance, shock travel limits etc, so that's the main reasons.

SVR and Senna2394 like this.
  10. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Spacers are 10mm in the front, 15mm in the rear, lowered 18mm in the front and 24mm in the rear, perfectly balanced and ‘square’ and aligned. I was willing to go the Novitec route but the service Mgr convinced me it was not necessary. Cost was wrapped up in other items. I’d need to find the invoice. I would imagine it’s rare for a Ferrari service center to discourage spending money on something.

Senna2394 likes this.
  11. Senna2394

Senna2394 Karting

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    Yousof
  12. Senna2394

Senna2394 Karting

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    Yousof
    24mm in the rear is not enough for me. I measured it was about 65mm between fender and tyre.

13. Hunter911

Hunter911 Karting

Mar 8, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Would you be able to post a pic or 2 of your car? I'd really like to see what that ride height looks like.

Senna2394 likes this.
  14. Senna2394

Senna2394 Karting

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    Yousof
    Can get a picture tomrow :)

15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    What is the weight distribution at those heights? You say perfectly balanced, how so? Dropping the rear 6mm more than the front, transfers a lot of weight to the front.

16. VelocityTexas

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2019
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    The wheel gap at stock will be big and the drop does not need to be the same number. It defies logic but somehow it woks out that way. I lowered my wife's Maserati using Formula Dynamics Sport Springs and the wheel gap is no longer. Like you, I thought the small amount of lowering the springs would give would never fill the gap but it's magic and it will. My 458 is lowered on factory springs and with added 20" 245's front, 21" 325's rear the fitment is perfect and the ride/handling is the same for me. Your results may vary. LOL

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    How much are you planning on lowering it? If you want to go that low, Novi springs is an absolute must. Do you ever track or do any spirited driving?

18. Senna2394

Senna2394 Karting

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    Yousof
    how much is the 458 lowered?

19. Senna2394

Senna2394 Karting

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    Yousof
    Front about 20mm
    Rear about 50mm

no tracking but some spirited driving. Im afraid the novitec will lower to much in the front.

tfos750 likes this.
  20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    #21 Il Co-Pilota, Oct 20, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    That will not only completely destroy any chance of that car handling even remotely okay, with a 50mm drop in the rear, you will be buying diffuser fins in bulk. A 35 mm rear drop is pretty aggressive, and very few go below 40. For a pure show car 40 is fine, but not for a driver.

Here's what I'd do in your case.

Drop the front 25mm and the rear 30mm on the scales and see how the balance is. You should not go beyond a 42.5/57.5 front to rear weight distribution.
    Install MPS4S tyres in 255/35R20 front and 315/30R20 rear. you then get both a drop and a bit of extra tyre to close the gap. Then if you don't think that's enough, and if the scales allow, try lowering it a bit more. But use scales if you go beyond 5mm of difference. The 20/50 mm lowering you talk about, will completely ruin the balance of that car. No if's or but's, it's 100% sure, as a ton of weight will be added to the front and cause a push that will understeer into 2021.

mdrums and swede like this.
  21. VelocityTexas

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2019
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    I believe 20mm if I remember correctly. Moving up to 21" wheels and tire size in the rear helped suck up a bit of the gap as well, +/- 1" in radius.

22. Senna2394

Senna2394 Karting

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    Yousof
    sorry i read you question wrong, i wish the novitec lowered the numbers i wrote.
    I would be happy with a 30mm drop in the rear. Will measure and take pics tomrow.
    stock is 245/35 and 305/30. Will i get a problem with 35 in the rear? I will buy new MPS4S next season. The car will stay in the garage for 5 months now.

tfos750 likes this.
  23. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    No idea. His words not mine. I don’t track the car and only did it for looks without losing ‘performance’. I defer to you and the Ferrari service mgr. He said they all come out slightly different from the factory so one person’s mm may be slightly different than another’s.

24. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy