Ferrari 488 Compared to the McLaren 720s | Page 35 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 488 Compared to the McLaren 720s

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by racerdj, Mar 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    488 has ~2 1/2 more years so closer to mid-life and yes I agree on the 812 which demand is very high. You can order one in the US but likely have to wait a long while. They will command MSRP+ for sure.

2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I can't answer for why these people you mention barely spec their 488's nor why you feel need to mention that. Is there a point you wish to make? Is so please tell?

And these facts you refer to? Please tell.

And my calling out truth as countering you with bias and insulting remarks can only be another attempt of yours to divert the attention away from "putting it all to the test". Where is the bias and insults?

You say there are tons of Ferrari's for sale but what about the pic with a yard full of new macs?

I could go on but you are only gonna get more in a fiz..

3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Just take a look at what you see on F Chat which is a small sampling but indicative of the market. Essentially this is the first time that a new Ferrari buyer can order a new personal spec rather than pick up a used one at a big discount. Buyers are choosing to spec a more basic car so they have the experience and less depreciation which only 3 years ago didn't exist. You are new to the brand I am not, I've lived this. Isnt this your first F car? If you tried to buy a 458 new you would be waiting a long time or have to pick up a used one. Lots of 488's with low 300K MSRP's, most of the 720's I have seen are in the mid to high $300's so the hit to the initial buyer will be greater by $$ amount.

[/QUOTE]And my calling out truth as countering you with bias and insulting remarks can only be another attempt of yours to divert the attention away from "putting it all to the test". Where is the bias and insults?[/QUOTE]

Perhaps it is just your style? It is not conducive to a civilized debate. Why does your "truth" supersede others?

[/QUOTE]You say there are tons of Ferrari's for sale but what about the pic with a yard full of new macs?[/QUOTE]

Yes, there were about 8 570's in that pic which is not disputed. Inventory for the 570's is plentiful nationally but each market is a bit different. For example in South Florida the Mac dealer only has a few cars. My market there are a couple 720's for sale and probably 10-12 570's.

4. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Give GH a break. He is entitled to love his car for what it is. When you look at it and drive it and feel excited and thrilled by the experience of owning it, it matters little how many are for sale on the market, marketing strategies of each car brand or other factors that do not impinge on the fact that the 720S is a great car.

5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    And my calling out truth as countering you with bias and insulting remarks can only be another attempt of yours to divert the attention away from "putting it all to the test". Where is the bias and insults?[/QUOTE]

Perhaps it is just your style? It is not conducive to a civilized debate. Why does your "truth" supersede others?

[/QUOTE]You say there are tons of Ferrari's for sale but what about the pic with a yard full of new macs?[/QUOTE]

Yes, there were about 8 570's in that pic which is not disputed. Inventory for the 570's is plentiful nationally but each market is a bit different. For example in South Florida the Mac dealer only has a few cars. My market there are a couple 720's for sale and probably 10-12 570's.[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you did with you above post with the quotes and responses not highlighting correctly but here is my reply below here:

So you're essentially saying they are a bunch of cheapskates looking for a new buying experience whilst taking as limited exposure as humanly possible? Wow that's quite an insult right there to many here on this board. Maybe they don't want what they see for sale because they can afford new and want only what they want.

Ps No offense but I'm not going to bother obliging your other assertions due to the general absurdity

6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I think what you are saying cuts both ways. It may well be easier for gh12345 if what he was pushing so hard here was on a mac board so with respect please keep that in mind as well.

Ash Patel likes this.
  7. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    This is an auto enthusiast board for entertainment not the bible

8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

Yes, there were about 8 570's in that pic which is not disputed. Inventory for the 570's is plentiful nationally but each market is a bit different. For example in South Florida the Mac dealer only has a few cars. My market there are a couple 720's for sale and probably 10-12 570's.[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you did with you above post with the quotes and responses not highlighting correctly but here is my reply below here:

So you're essentially saying they are a bunch of cheapskates looking for a new buying experience whilst taking as limited exposure as humanly possible? Wow that's quite an insult right there to many here on this board. Maybe they don't want what they see for sale because they can afford new and want only what they want.

Ps No offense but I'm not going to bother obliging your other assertions due to the general absurdity[/QUOTE]

Those are your words. I'm saying that many want the buying experience you couldn't get just 3 years ago so rather than buying used they buy new at equal prices by specifying low msrp cars which has left over 100 used 488s for sale in the US.

9. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Like a certain president, Gh at times is a little heavy handed and insulting in his tone and approach.. While his style could use a dollop of moderation, the content of his comments usually have merit.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  10. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Not intentional, my apologies

11. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This back and forth is ultimate first world problems argument. Which $300k plus car that’s literally top 5 cars being produced right now is better. Hint, they’re so damn close on the road it makes no difference. Buy what you like.

Gh21631 likes this.
  12. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    If you own a 488, 720S or Performante, you are among the very fortunate. I could easily own either one and be thrilled at the prospect. These forums should offer an extention of the affection we all have for super cars as they permit us to share our own experiences and receive advice we may seek. Lets all lay down the gloves and have fun.

Gh21631 likes this.
  13. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I am not convinced by the claims about an obvious market trend for Ferrari.
    I ordered my 488 in April 2015 (although I registered my interest before) and got it delivered in September 2015; at the time it was also easier to order a Speciale than it is to order a Pista now, in spite of the fact Ferrari has comparatively positioned the Pista at a much higher price than the Speciale.
    And my almost 3-year old 488 has depreciated about 15% (trade price) according to the dealer who would have taken it back if I had elected to buy a Pista - I've been buying Ferrari since 1997 and lost a lot of money on them, apart from occasional market hiccups depreciation has always been there.

14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Even more to your point they all share similar attributes which many of my posts have pointed out and some refuse to accept. This is really the sticking point. I would take any of them but lets be fair when we are so critical of one brand over another. Myself and others have presented alternative views that some dont like or wont accept which causes controversy on a predominantly Ferrari forum.

I think it is great that we have so many options today, it would be boring otherwise and we would have nothing to talk about. Personally I am all over the place with my car choices. In one year I will have gone through an FF, RR, RRS, 720, F90 M5, Urus (Nov.) with two other cars pending. I gain nothing by criticizing a brand as I have had or will have owned most.

15. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Are you in the US? I couldn't order a 458 until 2 years in let alone a Speciale. For the Pista I was mandated to buy a Lusso for an early delivery (Q1 19') but passed on the Lusso and getting a Pista another way.

16. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #866 Albert-LP, May 27, 2018
    Last edited: May 27, 2018
    The 720 has a fantastic tech sheet, better than the standard 488 GTB. As it happened with the MP412C versus the 458. But you have to be much better than a F car to just tie: I mean that if the cars are at the same level, 90% will go with Ferrari, due to the brand appeal. This said, in my opinion todays there are competitors that have MUCH more than Ferrari cars so they tie and there is a game.
    For example, IN MY PERSONAL OPINION, Huracan and and Aventador are much better looking than the 488 GTB and 812 S, so much better that even if the Lamborghini brand cannot be compared to Ferrari one, I would definitely buy an Huracan instead of a 488 GTB or an 812S, for the same money.

So if you have a BIG advantage (look, power, appeal, tech, performances) versus the Ferrari competitor model, you can succeed, otherwise there is no game.

Coming to this 720 debate: 720 has some big plus over the 488 GTB. They are power, the CF hub and a bit less weight.
    They are enough to tie the 488 appeal and so being a good competitor when you have to choose a supercar.

Look (and sound): Huracan
    Performances (and tech): 720
    Appeal: 488

Now there is the 488 Pista, that ties (very likely) the 720 power and weight and is as good looking as the Huracan

That's the reason why all the world became mad for the 488 Pista: the lack of the CF hub is not enough to give a chance to the 720 or to the Huracan. The 488 Pista is the new benchmark and the competitors are lucky that Ferrari cannot produce 10000 units of that model and that it costs so much money too.

This said, I like the 720, as it's a very advanced and ultrafast car, but I won't ever buy one. Maybe because I'm Italian, but at my eyes the Mc Laren brand hasn't a road car tradition (and appeal) like Ferrari, Porsche and Lamborghini: at my eyes Mc Laren cars don't even exhist on the market.

ciao

wingcross and redcaruser like this.
  17. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Maybe because you are Italian? LOL.

18. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    ;)
    I like very much Porsche 911 and owned several of them, despite I'm an Italian

Ciao

Shadowfax likes this.
  19. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    And this is exactly one of the biggest advantage of McLaren, an advantage which I extremely enjoy! A high sophisticated and superior super sport car and nobody knows that it is this way. When I drive around nobody knows what kind of car it is. A car not (yet) occupied with prejudice. No big tam-tam, no big theater, no blah-blah what was once, just a cool product, simply an amazing piece of technology, a car only for my technology savvy soul and my fine motoring nerves. Mainstream is good, but life is too short not to have enjoyed this special brand once.
    Saluti!

Albert-LP likes this.
  20. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Enjoy.

21. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    That's a good point and that's the reason why there are several supercar producers: To everyone his own. Enjoy your car, that is a great car

Ciao

22. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Yes, to everyone his own. And in this context, one thing we have in common, we are all very privileged, we are allowed to enjoy extremely expensive and elitist products. Let's talk respectfully and objectively about all our "beloved" cars, they all have pros and cons. There are already enough plenty of other **** in this world... ;)

Enjoy your Italian dreams!

MANDALAY and Albert-LP like this.
  23. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

At the Australian F1 i can tell you it was the opposite. There were 2 720S there and hardly any movement. All we need now is Daniel R to join Ferrari and we will have one Ferrari MAD country !

Shadowfax likes this.
  24. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

And my calling out truth as countering you with bias and insulting remarks can only be another attempt of yours to divert the attention away from "putting it all to the test". Where is the bias and insults?[/QUOTE]

With all due respect Gh21631 your 3rd sentence is not true and actually not fair. I speced my car most likely in many eyes as cheap, low spec. I actually chose what I wanted. No carbon because I don't like carbon. Gee I paid extra to have the carbon steering wheel converted to leather because I wanted the LED's, I wanted full electric seats etc etc

Also I can honestly feel that you do love your 720s and thats great. I love Ferrari and that's it. My nephew at 5 already knows Ferrari.

But for me I have a lot of respect to those companies that build the engine and shell. Mac doesn't so its never ever going to be a Ferrari.

Shadowfax likes this.
  25. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    And from the 570 to the Senna - all the same - just more boost and a few tweeks. Sales in Oz on the 720S have been very poor

Shadowfax likes this.