Ferrari 488 Compared to the McLaren 720s | Page 34 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 488 Compared to the McLaren 720s

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by racerdj, Mar 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    #826 Gh21631, May 25, 2018
    Last edited: May 25, 2018
    I appreciate the brand as well but not to the point that I will accept anything they throw out including quality issues and business practices. I have a late delivery Pista coming, hopefully that goes as well as I hope.

2. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Fair question. Performance is very important, though I frankly take it for granted with all cars at this level. I will never come close to testing the limits of my car's capabilities nor do I track them (I suspect only a fraction of owners do). If that's a form of ownership enjoyment someone prefers I think that's great. But, again, we all enjoy the fact that these cars are capable of incredible things, it just isn't something most of us will test. At any given stage of development I'm sure Ferrari will be a bit faster, then McLaren will be, then Lamborghini, and so it goes. If that's a critical factor for someone it isn't for me to judge, it just isn't a deciding factor for me. The visceral experience is - the look, sound, feel, mystique. And, yes, the heritage of the Ferrari brand factors into that.

stavura, redcaruser and Napoli like this.
  3. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Regarding performance, this says it all. 3 heavys punching and counter punching.

Scarcity, build quality, reliability, and warranty will determine depreciation.

4. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Yes, but not only: the brand prestige is another important factor. A Mc Laren is not a Ferrari, just as a Lexus is not a Rolls Royce.

I never visited Woking, but I do know very well Maranello and it's very impressive to see how many tourists (coming from the other side of the world too) are there every given day to visit that horrible village just because there is the Ferrari factory.

I don't think this happens in Woking too, at least not in such a massive way: you have to be here in Maranello to figure how powerful and famous the Ferrari brand worldwide is.

ciao

MANDALAY, Shadowfax and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  5. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This is actually ideal. Why would you want to have to order and wait, or choose between a couple common colors in inventory? I can think of nothing better than a lot full of cars in a bunch of different colors to see and choose from.

6. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    #831 Napoli, May 25, 2018
    Yes, brand prestige is so important! But, prestige is not a thing unto itself. It is derived from many things, to include the things I mentioned - and does not happen overnight or come from a slick marketing campaign or internet hype. Time will tell that tale.

Shadowfax likes this.
  7. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada

Personally I could care less of how many people go visit a car company's headquarters. I am purchasing a car not a tourist attraction. I realize many Ferrari owners are caught up in the mystique and the prestige of the marque and sadly, many owners do not even drive their cars. While an automobile can actually be an aesthethic work of art, and that certainly adds to the excitement of ownership, I require performance that corresponds to my sensibilities, priorities and predilections. And every super car has its own distinct personality, driving dynamics character, and intangible feel. In this competitive age of truly exemplary super cars, I will ultimately purchase the one that comports to my preferences with little to no regard for the level of prestige or status it engenders in others.

Shadowfax likes this.
  8. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

As you should. Everyone should enjoy ownership in whatever way they choose.

Gh21631, Albert-LP and Coincid like this.
  9. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #834 Albert-LP, May 25, 2018
    Exactly.

71 years of victories (plus 18 years as "Scuderia Ferrari" with Alfa Romeo racing cars, started in 1929)
    71 years of fantastic looking cars
    71 years of top performance cars
    71 years as king of the hill, being the benchmark for every sport car maker or racer
    71 years of exclusivity
    71 years of legend

That's why in Maranello there are so many tourists and today many succesful men (very rich) agree to buy a 300+ k Lusso just to be allowed paying for a 400+ K Pista (incredible). This doesn't happen to any other car brand.

Shadowfax likes this.
  10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The 570 inventory may have nothing to do with a 720 as you state but no Mac has the looks, presence, sound, feeling of an F12 or the build quality. None. There is a REAL Italian engine with 12 NA cylinders in that beautiful, luxurious beast. Best to stick to the 488 compared to the 720 in this thread.

MANDALAY and Shadowfax like this.
  11. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Too bad that engine is as good as dead. For the most part I'll agree on build quality as things are today. I mentioned this in another post but it seems to really be improving. I could pick any car apart but some things are more obvious than others. Ferrari styling is 2nd to none and until the 720 I didn't care for the Mac designs. New ball game now. I can tell you that at the car events I've been to people walk right by the 488 to look at my car which really surprises me.

12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Alberto, this is all true and not disputed however we have more choices now and while McLaren doesn't appeal to all it sure does to quite a few.

13. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    You forgot to mention market acceptance (both new and used) - brand recognition also playing a big part in the overall equation. All key drivers.

14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Maybe Ferrari should bolt in a nissan engine and all will be cured then ?;)

The general public will always show interest/curiosity in the new kid on the block, but doesn't mean they will buy it, love it, or remain loyal to it. Using the one of sp38 Ferrari as a recent example - it will draw the crowd but not all will walk away enamored. However with a Ferrari they will always love and respect it for what it has achieved regardless. And that's just one of the things that makes it worth the money today and into the future.

15. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I am not aware of any slick marketing campaign from either mnfr. Also, in describing Ferrari cars I wouldn't use the word scarcity, there are more Ferrari's for sale than ever new and used. For example there are more used 488's for sale in the US than every McLaren model combined. Times have changed, it is not the same old auto company. Are you aware that Ferrari dealers are now required to have demo's for every model? This was a big surprise to me. They are commoditizing the product and saturating the market.

16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

This is a very general and subjective POV, I think you are speaking more from your perspective. Many others dont feel this way. I cant tell you how many people I know or have come to know that were serious loyalists to Ferrari but have changed their views. It is not the same company it once was and consumers are recognizing this. What we are dealing with however is a "brand" that is more popular than any other I can think of and the perception of exclusivity that comes from it which is changing.

17. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Who cares what they are doing. At least you can sell a Ferrari when you want to, and not wait forever only to be forced to accept a fraction of what you were told you would get just to get out of it.

MANDALAY and PA Wolfpacker like this.
  18. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Thats simply not true but you are convinced it is so no point in arguing.

19. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Ferrari also sells more than McLaren because there is more demand for Ferrari than for McLaren.
    Ariel sells far less than McLaren, it does not mean it has to be considered more prestigious - if an Ariel fan went to the path of saying McLaren is commoditizing the product and saturating the market, it would not be considered a sensible comment by anybody.
    I suspect Ariel fans are typically more realistic than that though ;)

Ash Patel, min3040 and Shadowfax like this.
  20. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #845 Shadowfax, May 26, 2018
    Last edited: May 26, 2018
    Not at all. The evidence speaks volumes enough our way. Let time be the ultimate judge. It's far to early to make a call with 720 but I can understand your positivity in that area from having a vested interest. Hope it works out well and I am proven dead wrong. It's not something I would be personally be betting my house on though, but at your peppercorn pricing it's not such a huge risk, so best of luck with it.

Ash Patel likes this.
  21. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    This is an obvious take away but I am sure you can agree that in the past a customer off the street could not walk in and order their model of choice (excluding limited cars) and have it in 6-8 months. Also, when have you seen the current mid-engine model with such huge used inventory and demo's on the dealer floor? The answer is never. My point is that the business has changed mostly from being a publicly traded company - it is what it is there is no denying it.

22. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    You've obviously got your house riding on that 720 of yours the way you are so defensive about it. How bout putting it in the marketplace now and test it out. You don't have to sell it - just find out if it is the bar of gold you'd like to believe it is. You'll know if/when you get a genuine buyer. May take a while i imagine so you will have plenty of time to use it in between time.

23. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Aacceptance and recognition are derived from the things I mentioned.

Shadowfax likes this.
  24. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The 812 is not a limited car and a customer off the street cannot get one in 6-8 months (not in Europe anyway); the 488 is approaching its end-of-life and even for it I am not sure deadlines will not go up again because it's going to share the production line with the Pista.

25. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    What you see as defensive is another POV that you cant see or accept. Big difference between our posts. One is objective and the other is super biased. Facts are overlooked and emotion takes over. No matter what fact is pointed out to you, you ignore it and counter with another biased or insulting remark. Par for the course.

If I was really concerned I would not have purchased a high MSRP car that I know is more likely to lose value than one with a lower MSRP. Exact reason why most people elect to barely spec their 488's.

If I found a better car I would sell or trade mine. For now I am waiting on the Pista and LT and at that time I will trade or sell my car until then this is the best car for me. Between the Pista and 720 I will keep the one I enjoy more but not both regardless of the badge.