Ferrari 488 Compared to the McLaren 720s | Page 33 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 488 Compared to the McLaren 720s

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by racerdj, Mar 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The 720S is blistering fast in a straight line and on a race track. Cannot make sense of the rest of your comment.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  2. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    More ore less.
    Subsequently, he retracted by saying that he loved the cars, but not the minders and the controlled environment.
    Anyway, there are way better reviewers; i.e Steve Sutcliffe.

3. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    So all these magazine articles (Autocar etc) are all lies. Interesting. No doubt you are about to give us the big reveal on how you came to that conclusion LOL.

4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I agree with you on Sutcliffe. His review of the AM GT8 is fantastic. So human.
    Not with you on the rest though.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  5. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

? 3 cars for sale for the whole of Australia the other 7 are adds.

So the other Mclarens about 50 and that's where they will stay for sale. Everyone here knows don't touch them

Shadowfax likes this.
  6. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Backwards logic but whatever makes you feel better.

7. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
  8. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

Napoli, Ash Patel and Shadowfax like this.
  9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Seriously??? Get your head out of the sand. Are you aware that multiple other cars are discussed on this forum? Are you aware that this is a thread comparing the two cars? This is an auto enthusiast forum that discusses everything from hot girls, investments, what to wear to different cars. If you dont like it move on.

10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #810 Shadowfax, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
    The main detractor here is the extremely heavy cost of ownership. Time will tell for 720 here but my money would be on a continuing (sharp downhill) trend. Not sure where gh12345 gained his qualification to be able to comment on the Aus market??- but I suspect his defense mechanisms are once again getting the better of him. No surprises there.

720 is without question an amazing performance achievement - just that at our prices, like it or not, the car and brand have historical resale issues all which require very careful consideration for any buyer. So you would be right in saying everyone knows - because they do and, they would be foolish not to know. And, that is putting aside all of the other subjective viewpoints associated to 720's controversial visual appearance (which isn't everyone's cup of tea), lack of brand recognition (undeniable fact), crass engine note (as considered by many) and reported lack of driving soul (also reported on my many) VS other high end brands which don't share these same problems anywhere near to the same degree.

It is a completely different story in the USA where the buyers enjoy a dramatically cheaper entry cost which in turn allows so many buyers being able to afford the car new. So understandably there would be less need for concern with resale values because even if it loss half its value the day it drove off the shop floor the loss would be seen as somewhat acceptable/palatable. Simply put - losing 150 vs 350 K is an easier pill to swallow for anyone.

Ash Patel likes this.
  11. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I am not claiming to be an expert in your market, I just did a simple search and the results speak for themselves. I was just curious since the two of you keep pontificating about the 720's value when in fact per the search results it seems to be doing quite well a year into the model cycle. When you say a continuing sharp downhill trend that is all BS. Show me an example. I wont argue that this could be different in 2 years, I am sure it will but how is that different from the 488? The asking prices are quite a bit lower. I do believe that all of these cars are in for a hit in the next couple of years but more a result from changes in the economy but that is another story. Fortunately in the US market we pay a lot less and lose a lot less but these things are relative. This did not factor in my choice. I just pulled the trigger on a Urus, I am sure I will take a hit on that as well but that doesnt make it a bad car nor will it detract from my enjoyment.

Can you accept this?

12. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #812 Shadowfax, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
    I've never bought a car where I haven't taken a hit. The 488 will prove no different but doubt it will be anywhere near the hit I would take on a new 720. If you read my post with your emotions in check you would have seen that I speculated a view on the future direction of 720 resale value and, am happy to be proven wrong - but I doubt I will be. Kinda like a safe bet for me to make if I were a betting man....which I am not.

There is no real evidence here to make a qualified assessment at this early stage in the game - the 2 cars you see now with sub 1000kms are most likely demos but funny I see the vendors will even take bitcoin as trade lol. As they say you can ask, but you may not get. But hey let's wait and see. I think the sale process will require patience as with these Macs very few buyers are prepared to touch em for obvious reasons, so we may most likely be waiting for a long time and the real sale prices of these two may never be disclosed - again for obvious reasons.

Now can you accept this?

Ash Patel, Ggear and MANDALAY like this.
  13. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Since we are on the topic of depreciation, the primary reason for Mclarens' higher rate of value loss is due to the short life cycle of their models. Typically less than half of Ferrari or Lamborghini. Furthermore, unlike other brands, Mclaren has stated that it will never engage in a mid cycle refresh or update. They will rather replace the existing model with a new , superior one. In so doing, the outgoing model usually takes an inordinate value depreciation.

14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    It's hard to say what the exact cause is but imho it has a lot to do with brand recognition combined with a fear of the high costs in maintaining the car outside of warranty. Most see English cars as unreliable and expensive to maintain. Even with Lambo and Ferrari the deprecation can be savage in some models as we have seen. Aventador, Lusso etc as examples - cars which had a very high price new but on the used market only generate interest at a price far lower than what the original new buyer ever expected to see.

15. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    No question that being a fairly new entrant in the consumer super car field, coupled with very limited dealer representation cannot be viewed as a positive.

16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    The good news is McLaren has learned to have longer model cycles and the newer cars seem to be doing quite well. For example the LT version of the 720 won't be available for another ~2 1/2 years. Another benefit is that it still takes 6 to 7 months to order and demand is still strong which I expect will taper off at some point.

From what I've seen most people order their 720s with a ton of options so high MSRPs (high 300s) and some of these options dont get you much on resale. However I see people at least on Fchat ordering very basic 488s with low MSRPs (low 300s)which gives the perception of less depreciation.

The older cars have pretty much bottomed out and have been flat for the last few years.

17. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Depreciation has been quite normal on all cars since the 675LT. 570, 675, 720s... they all have normal residuals for cars in the segments.

There are very few cars, even from Ferrari, that avoid the typical large depreciation of an exotic car. Look at the Lusso -- 2017 cars are $60-90K under MSRP.

18. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Only time and I mean a long time before the McLaren holds its value like a Ferrari. Its just is what it is. The warrantee and service 7 years is such an added bonus with the Ferrari and not to mention the extension. Where our cars cost double its a real advantage. Im talking here common folk like me that has saved for years.

For all the speed the McLaren has , if I was in marketing their I would be doing something unique that they have done before. Reintroduce the center seat.

Shadowfax likes this.
  19. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Mac center seat 2.0 is coming soon. Hybrid power grand touring car for 3.

20. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Meanwhile at R8-talk --> same same but different.. LOL

As an R8 owner (as well) I had to make a cross reference to this thread :p

Attached Files:

Shadowfax and Jo Sta7 like this.
  21. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

I'm sure the 720 is faster than the 488. Not sure if it faster than the Pista, yet. If that's the most important thing to you, than by all means get one. I drove up to the McLaren dealer a few days ago to see a 720 for the first time. This is obviously subjective, but it looked much like all the other McLaren's to me. Very plastically and cartoonish. Almost like the design team sat around and said "okay guys, we need to be crazy hear. Ferrari is mopping us up and we have to do something and quick". I also drove around to the back of the dealership and saw this huge stable of new cars for the picking ("just choose your color'). Similar to what you see at a Toyota or Chevy dealer.

Performance is a big deal, of course, but the looks and design are without question the most important to me. After that, exclusivity, desire, heritage, lineage, history, legacy, culture. Ferrari is deep in all of these areas and will remain in a league of its own. There is no comparison.

MANDALAY and Shadowfax like this.
  22. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This kind of stuff will certainly keep me from McLaren ownership until they figure it out . I don’t care how quick or competent a 570S or 720S I just don’t have patience for issues at this price point. My current cars are a 458 which has been flawless, an i8 which has had one issue but resolved and otherwise build quality is top notch and the new NSX which is built super well and can be driven everyday without a worry because it’s an Acura. Usability and build quality are underrated with sports cars. Something may be great when a journalist gets it for a weekend but not great when you have to live with it for 2+ years

Shadowfax likes this.
  23. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Those are 570s in the pic some dealers have inventory and others dont. It has nothing to do with the 720.

Regarding the plasticy comment take a look a the F12s front bumper with the waves and/or the rust issues as an example of build quality.

24. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Yes, I'm aware they are 570's. I'm actually an admirer of McLaren. There are things that they are doing that Ferrari should learn from, without question. I have even higher regard for Lamborghini. They are both fantastic in their own right. But, Ferrari is a whole different game altogether. They just are. It's the whole package. It's not just performance, or design or lineage or pedigree or the personalities or a multitude of other things. It's the full deal. It's something that has been created over 70+ years. Are they perfect? Heck not. They can learn and improve a lot. But, there is no comparison.

Ash Patel likes this.
  25. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Most significant factors for you in buying a super car is looks and design. The next 7 criteria you list as important are really a single factor as they are all virtually the same. Where in your hierarchy does performance fit?