Ferrari 456 cars for sale | Page 54 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 456 cars for sale

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by toggie, Oct 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    Well it’s about time! These cars have all the earmarks. Rarity, pedigree, performance, and unquestionable style. What’s the hang up? You’re telling me a clapped out old suburban or bronco or “gasp” Z CAR is worth more than my precious perfect running low mile 456? Just because I have a back seat?! Gtfo!

MaurizioAM, vonius, Davidspop and 3 others like this.
  2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  3. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That is such an amazing car for so little $$$ wow.

4. cetera

cetera Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2021
    Antarctica
    I'm surprised prices haven't moved more on 456s with 550s going up. They still sell on BaT for barely more than they did years back. I dont think the 4 seats is what's holding these back, more so the subtle styling. I figure people just go for the 550 instead if they have the money.

5. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    IF I did not have a kid I would have preferred a 550/575 at the time I was looking. I actually paid 550 loot for a sorted 456M GTA because it was the perfect spec (for us) and had 4 seats.
    I still kick around getting a 550/575 now and again because they are such bargains but it is just not a far enough removed a car from my 456M, especially from the inside. Plus my 2003 is newer than any 550 AND the 550/575 will have most of the same annoying mechanical issues.

I don’t know, at the end I always drop back to the fact that I need/prefer 4 seats AND the 456 is just so damn graceful. No disrespect to the 550/575 but those headlights and I have “grown apart” recently.

paulchua likes this.
  6. cetera

cetera Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2021
    Antarctica
    I can get that. Body colored headlights were a trend of the time and give a really similar feel to cars like the c6 vette. At least the 550 pulled it off really well.

Mirek likes this.
  7. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    As someone who has been riding sport bikes for years, and now with all the insane 800hp factory showroom cars and Tesla’s, it makes no sense to base a street car purchase based on “performance”. No Ferrari is really a race car, and if it were, it would be a crappy street car. In other words, don’t try to chase performance and sacrifice comfort and usability. The 456gt is a great car because it oozes elegance, style, and grace. The 456 is quick enough, but the real beauty of this car is it’s hand built rarity and style. It was never meant to be a drivers orgasm like a lotus or bike. So why not have 4 seats then? Why is Porsche the only car that can get away with being a 2+2 and still be taken seriously? It’s funny to me how people chase performance on these cars when I can slaughter any one of them with a 6k$ used Yamaha from 25 years ago. Or a Tesla station wagon lol.
    I am very glad that they are the forgotten model though, as I’d never be able to afford one if they were valued correctly! I’m just a poor welder who lives in a 700sq/ft house, my other car is a 17 yr old Jeep Liberty lol. But I got the most elegant Ferrari ever made in my garage, simply because it has a back seat! Haha! Jokes on you!

gxl, paulchua, franschman and 4 others like this.
  8. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    @Salami absolutely agree... for me it's the balance of performance, comfort, styling and then I always appreciate rarity of a car... that's why I bought my BMW M6 GC... you don't see very many of the 4 door M6 variant .... so I don't see myself coming and going 10 times every day!

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I think the GT "A" is just a big sticker that says it's a milquetoast Ferrari. It's all relative, after driving some Enzo era Ferrari, it made me feel most modern Ferrari are 'poseur' cars.

Make no mistake, not saying they are, the latest Ferrari make me stain my underwear.

Just that's it's all so relative.

Anyways, taking the GTA to the track tomorrow, let's see how it goes...

Mirek likes this.
  10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    nice!!! i love my 456!

paulchua likes this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I got no complaints either! Love er'

12. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Laserguru likes this.
  13. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
  14. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I looked at 94-95 cars in Japan with the idea to import an example. I never moved past contacting the brokers.

A sharp ice blue and blue 94 was sold just before I searched.

15. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    I’ve been watching the market attentively and pegged that one “at least” $115k. Perfect color pairing, incredible condition, M, late model, low miles... super rare all around. That one was always gonna be way, way up there and I’m hardly surprised by the result. The top end of the market is showing real signs of life, but hasn’t seemed to filter down to driver-grade cars just yet. I’m definitely hoping it stays that way until my house sells and I can jump in the fray.

16. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    @Laserguru oh wise sage
    (not being a wisenheimer)…..lay down some thoughts for us on the result we saw today?!?

17. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Indeed!!! If you weren't watching that auction live, you missed a great one. I watched. When it seemed stuck at $85k, I was going to jump in. For real, that car would be a freaking STEAL at $85k!!! With 7 minutes left, I thought I was going to get another 456M GT. But NOOOOOO, she took off like a scalded dog. Spirited bidding by multiples all with the intent to take her home. It was fabulous to watch.

Now for the topic you really want me to address. Was $134k an overbid or the right price? Some folks here have argued with me when I have put out my assessments of market values between 456M GTAs, 456 GT (6 sp earlier model) and the 93 or so 456M GT (6 sp). To those who doubted this later group, which includes my car, I say TOLD YOU SO!! The manual vs auto ratio is almost 2:1, while the 575 ratio is closer to 2.5:1. The closer a potential buyer looks at the value of a 456M GT and then goes and looks at a few cars to understand them, the better they do. While this is a new max over the last 15+ yrs or so, it is not unwarranted. This '99 Rosso Barchetta car is in fabulous shape and seems to have had virtually all the usual items already dealt with. I think it is as close to an original showroom condition car as is to be found (at least as I have seen since I bought mine). I don't expect the GTAs will move up much based on this, the 456 GTs might rise a bit or solidify in the mid $90s, but the 456M GTs are loose and running wild, fans. Condition is everything!

18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    A buddy has a low mile MGT in stick in pozzi over cuoio

19. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Of the ~95 in my register, 15 are complete unknowns. As for Blu Pozzi, I have four listed, two with Blue Medio interiors and two with "tan" interiors. One is a 2000 and one is a 2003. Both have factory shields, the 03 has Daytona seats, and the 00 has blue piping on the beige/tan seats. Can you tell me if your friends car is the 00, the 03, or one of my mystery unknowns? Perspiring minds want to know......

20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Last 5 are 24562

21. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    575M ratio is ~7.39:1 with only 246 3 pedals. Way less than the 668 456M GTs. There were actually more 456M GTs built than 456M GTAs, 668 vs 660. Note this is all markets, not just the US and UK, where there were more GTAs than GTs.

22. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    It seems like the MGT does get a premium over the standard GT but that’s been the case for a while. Not sure if that’s a rarity thing, a preference thing (I prefer non-M GT), a later model year thing, or some combo. It always stumped me. The Rosso Barchetta deserved every dollar. Fabulous car. Suspect the more picky customers who only want one or two owner, super low mileage cars are grabbing what they can in fear it’ll turn into the 430 market, especially given there haven’t been many 612 6MT available since before the pandemic, and the few that have been are turning into a shakedown. Color preference is a huge factor too - there was a LM blue / tan on C&B that did very well, at 83k. But on the other hand, there’s a non-M in rosso monza / black on Hemmings that’s been sitting for close to a year at $69k, and there was a recent MGT in Argento Nurburgring that went through a bunch of price cuts over a good 6 months before just getting sold at $75k a week or two ago. This isn’t like the R8 or the V8 vantages where literally everything on the market was bought in the span of like two weeks. If I was a seller I would hold, but in my shoes as a soon-to-be buyer, I’m just hoping things hang on since there’s still good prices to be had. I’d much rather be a seller right now, which is a definite change in the couple years I’ve watched the market.

23. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    Will also add... unlike the 355/360/430 where they were (and still are) just about the fastest mid-engine cars available for the money in row-your-own manuals, there is significantly more pressure in the front-engined 2+2 grand tourer market since Aston Martin was still selling them up to this year. They’re not classic F Cars, but at some point I’m not sure people will be enthusiastic to lay out another $50k for such a functionally similar car (at least on paper)... so I think there is a ceiling that will come into play - or at least, a ceiling on the premium over a DB9 or V12.

24. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    how many 456MGTA's are for sale today in the USA?
    i only see 2....