Ferrari 456 cars for sale | Page 42 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 456 cars for sale

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by toggie, Oct 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    I think that even with the buyer’s premium 126k for the Azzurro California 456M was a very good buy. As far as I’m concerned that car is a “1 of 1” here in the US. Someday I hope there is a data-base one could access to determine this.

2. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    **** wink, wink

3. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Semaphore received. I did subscribe to F-Register specifically to chase this down. Then they announced they will shut down at the end of this year and I was glad I had subscribed. Kind of a last decent shot to lever off of all the good work that has been done.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

4. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    They can think we're obsessed all they like. Ferrari markets show very distinct differences around the world. There was just a discussion on this board concerning the very high purchase price, taxes, and cost of maintenance for our friends down under. It is truly burdensome. Graeme has his lovely car for sale. I know if I faced those prices, taxes, fees, and maintenance, I would never be able to play at all.

Market values for these cars are dependent on a great range of factors that we all know and individual model availability is one of them. So be it. Just a part of the game. How many genuine early Ford GTs were there???

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Eric- Likely only about 30% of the 456Ms built were imported to the US. In recent times, US imports have averaged about 28% of total production. We know from NHTSA that there were this many 456Ms imported:
    01 64
    02 20
    03 32
    No numbers on 99 and 00, but since the factory only started with 640 GTs and 631 GTAs, there were not that many anywhere.

6. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    I've found 5 550's nation wide that are under 100, and several more that are in hailing distance of 100. I spent about 2 hours driving one of them this last weekend. Amazing how similar to my 330 GTC that car is.

7. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks, Taz. I had seen these numbers and am using them as a bit of guidance as I am trying to integrate the F-Register data when the cars I have seen for sale. When I get that complete, hopefully things will align (somewhat) and I'll poll folks here to try and flesh out the balance.

30% of your total production numbers is 381 cars. Minus the years you have, then 99 and 00 would look something like ~130 cars per year. That might seem a little high but early years are often higher when an upgrade like the M is introduced. And assuming 50% manual would be a max total of 190ish manuals. I don't think its quite that high as I go through what is in F-Register (admittedly not complete but also very useful). I'm thinking the balance of manuals is going to turn out more like about 120 cars or roughly 1/3. We'll see.

If nothing else, the web is fun to try and run down little mysteries like this. Things to do on cold New Hampshire nights between hauling in firewood. And damn if we didn't have an inch of snow this morning. Every time I start thinking about walking the car up from its long winter nap, the winter says "not yet".

One thing I have gleaned from F-Register is it seems my car was the 5th from last 456M with an A in the VIN. The last one was a Schumacher edition.

Always appreciate your inputs. I'm likely to run this by you before it sees the light of day if you don't mind. Sanity check and all that....

E

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Eric- No sweat. 83 degrees here Saturday, but 99% of the state is in drought.

9. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    We'll get to 83 sometime in mid-August, Taz. Sorry about your drought. Winter can be tough here. Spring is gorgeous, summer is mild, autumn is beyond compare and winter can have its beauty.....it just tends to drag on after the thrill is gone.

Lived in San Diego for 6 yrs and Orlando area for 17. Been up here for the last 6 and kinda glad to be back in 4 season territory overall.

10. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Very surprised by your finding of the 550 in comparison to the 330 GTC. Could you please share more details? What was similar / different?

Ruben

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Eric- Four seasons here, too. Average winter low in the mid 20s, but dry. So you can pretty much drive 12 months less a few days when it snows.

12. puckybadger

puckybadger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 12, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    I have an "A" in my VIN: ZFFWL44AX20128018. I think I saw, perhaps in the OM or on another thread here a breakdown of every digits meaning. I know digit 10 is for the MY

13. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Try this site. Pretty definitive breakdown of Ferrari VIN #s present and past.
    http://www.red-headed.com/vin.html

14. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Just traded my 2001 for another F car, loved my 456 but it is a labor of love but worth every $$$.
    Daniel.

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    A means USA, B means Euro, C means RHD UK, D means RHD Australia, J means Japan (mostly LHD). That is about it for the years of our V12s.

16. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Daniel, do you mind telling me what your VIN, color, interior, and any options were on the car. I am trying to compile a data base of 456Ms that came to the States. It would be much appreciated. Can send as a PM if you prefer. And what dealer did it go to on the trade? Has that dealer listed it for sale yet?

17. stevenmok

stevenmok Rookie

Aug 27, 2016
  18. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Titanium, cream , gold factory calipers, factory schilds,
    The rest of the info is not mine to give anymore.
    D.

19. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    No problem. Completely understand. The gold calipers are distinctive..

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

20. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    Both cars were very similar in size. Both were traditional three pedal V 12's. Both weigh roughly the same. The 330 maybe a bit lighter. The 550 has some additional power of course. The handling and responsiveness is very similar. The 330 is quite a bit louder and hotter in the summer and mine did not have AC, but it did have a good bit of cargo space both in the trunk and behind the seats.
    Total grip was higher in the 550 also.
    Don't get the 330 GT 2+2 confused. It was a truck and the GTC handled much differently in comparison.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  21. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Interesting - thanks for sharing!

Ruben

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The 330 GTC was a thoroughly modern Ferrari and sports car when introduced. It had the IRS transaxle layout of late 275 GTBs instead of the live rear axle of the 330 GT 2+2s. Many experts consider the 330 and 365 GTCs to be the best touring Ferraris ever built. The 365 GTC was just about as fast as a Daytona because it weighed quite a bit less. Those two engines were the finest versions of the original SOHC Colombo engine, much evolved, ever put in street Ferraris. The Queen Mother shared the same 4.4 liter engine as the 365 GTC.

23. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric

Taz,
    You might want to check my message over on the conversation with a few of the 456 guys. Your ~30% of 456M production being sent to the States turns out to be 28.6% or 362 cars at my best count against known VINs. There is some other data in the conversation that I would like your reaction to prior to blasting it out in the bigger world and never being able to correct it or get it back. Thanks, Eric

Il Tifoso likes this.