Ferrari 400i vs. 412... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 400i vs. 412...

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by bonaturtle, Nov 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carguy246

carguy246 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2006
    Maryland
    Sent you pm

2. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    True, but the guy is also considering an 850i. I figure if one considers an 850 that one of the V12 Astons would also be a possible consideration, especially since many of them are manuals.

You guys all know what decision I made so....

3. 57Wayne

57Wayne Karting

Mar 29, 2015
    Wilbraham MA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Thresher
    I bought an 840 because the 850 scares me but I love the shape of the car and the feel of the drive on long straight roads. These are heavy cars. The 412 does not scare me so much, and the sounds are so seductive. It is also more fun on back roads, even with an AT (shift into 2nd). I'd say go for the 412 if you can get one!

4. Tassie

Tassie Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Full Name:
    Wayne Clark
    IMO the 850 manual is the most competent of this bunch, the 365GT4/400GT the most rewarding, the 412GT the best mile eater. The 400iGT and 400Ai are great cars, but they are just outclassed by the others. Never driven the Aston but it is really a generation more modern with all its electronic foibles. None are bad and the grass is always greener.

5. Herbberb

Herbberb Rookie

Aug 10, 2015
    Sounds like I had something similar in mind when I bought mine a couple of years ago. I liked the car but, didn't find it a particularly good drive (was automatic..), and that significantly detracted from the experience for me.

I'd say that you cannot properly make the decision until you've driven one. Don't buy it on looks, heritage or cost alone. This is a car that divides opinion on looks, and to a lesser extent, it's driving capability, so make sure that it stacks up for you on both looks and driving pleasure. If you test drive one, or a couple if possible, you'll instinctively know if it's for you or not.

Final thought - don't buy a manual one.