Ferrari 400i fuse box location | FerrariChat

Ferrari 400i fuse box location

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Andres_1979, Feb 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Andres_1979

Andres_1979 Rookie

Oct 3, 2020
    Chile
    Full Name:
    Andres Kormis
    Hi friends, I was unable to locate the fuse box in my 1984 ferrari 400i
    Any pintura of where it is?
    Regards
    Andres

2. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
  3. Andres_1979

Andres_1979 Rookie

Oct 3, 2020
    Chile
    Full Name:
    Andres Kormis
  4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  5. Andres_1979

Andres_1979 Rookie

Oct 3, 2020
    Chile
    Full Name:
    Andres Kormis
    Thanks a lot for the info, I will look in that place, I miss it the first time I looked..... It is a little bit hide compare with other cars :)

Qavion likes this.
  6. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Under the area higlighted in white by Qavion, there is a metal plate (bolted on the footwell) that covers the relay box. When you remove this plate, make your best not to damage the leather. You may have to remove a bit of the door pillar trim (on the right): this provides a bit more room and minimize potential damage to the upholstery.

While you are there, you should apply silver conductive grease to all the connectors, relay tabs and even fuse tabs, as this relay box is notoriously fragile and connectors will melt in no-time if your fuel pumps are old (and start to draw more amps). Gen 1 car had a much better system, but it was decided to reuse the same concept as the 328/Testarossa on the later 400 variants. Unfortunately the 400 has many more accessories and the multi-layer printed board cannot easily sustain the 400i electrical load.

Qavion likes this.
  7. Andres_1979

Andres_1979 Rookie

Oct 3, 2020
    Chile
    Full Name:
    Andres Kormis
    Raemin, thx a los for the info. I live in Chile and is difficult to find many specialized products, what I found is the product enclosed, do you know if it do the same function
    Regards
    Andres
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Dielectric grease (grasa dielectrica) is an insulator. "Silver conductive grease" sounds..... conductive. The opposite. Dielectric grease is basically a moisture/dust barrier to stop electricity being conducted.

9. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Dielectric grease is basically baby (petrol) jelly. Quite cheap, and good enough for connectors exposed to moisture, such as light connectors and bulb sockets. Does not increase conductivity.

The fusebox is immune to moisture: it is located next to the exhaust and it hosts 16 old fashioned bosh relays whose coils do consume 200ma each...

Conductive grease made by LG chemical is what I use.

https://www.mgchemicals.com/products/grease-for-electronics/electrically-conductive-grease/silver-conductive-grease/

Sourced on ebay. Buy the real thing, not the Asian copycats (silver replaced by graphite).