Ferrari 400 Registry | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 400 Registry

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by FerrariKingV12, Oct 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Amerispec charged around $12,500 to federalize a 400i. Rear a/c was an option for $1,100. So by the time you got done a federalized 400i in 1983 ran somewhere north of $75,000.

2. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Just in case you wondered what it was like to buy one of these, in Italy, when they were new here is an excerpt from my notes taken during the conversation with the original owner of my car:

"He told me the story of when he first saw the car. He told his wife not to look excited. The salesman opened the door for her and once she was sitting inside the salesman said to him in broken English, “She’s love at first sight, no?” When his wife turned to him and said "This is going to be a very expensive vacation" he knew it was his.
    Richard asked how much it cost. The salesman nodded to the window sticker and said, “You can no read the window?”
    An hour later Mr. Cxxxxxx owned the car after paying the sticker price."

There wasn't any dealing.

3. FerrariKingV12

FerrariKingV12 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    Laguna Beach CA
    Full Name:
    JR
    It seems like when I looked through some post I had made a note that there was a guestimate that there were a little over 500 cars in the United States. The production numbers I have are:

365 GT4 2+2 521
    400 GT 503
    400i 1,308
    412 576
    412 Cab 2
    Total production of 2+2 cars 2,908 between 1972 and 1989. I am talking to Viranya today and having him add some graph and charts on found cars, claimed cars, mystery cars, and destroyed cars. I also was wondering how many cars have been turned into convertibles and thought I might put that on the registry as well. I also was going to break out the locations of the cars, states and countries.

Are my numbers in line with yours?? Any other category you might suggest??

4. GreggG

GreggG Karting

Jul 14, 2008
    New Jersey
    #29 GreggG, Oct 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    While I wish I could take credit for the work product--someone from another forum undertook the task of collecting and tabulating the data--the attached document shows, somewhat brilliantly, original MSRPs in historical and current numbers. I have no idea whether the info for the 365 gt4/400 is correct, but it looks reasonable. Interesting, though, that there is an approximate U.S. $26K price delta between the two models.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hey John, its none of my business and you're free to do what you want but personally I think listing owners names on your site for any thug cruising the internet to see is a real mistake.

6. Brennan

Brennan Karting

Apr 28, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Brennan Johnson
    I AGREE WITH DSTACY ON THIS ONE!! I personally would not want any of my personal info listed. But then again, how is that any different than the group that we have here, where we willingly swap names, serial numbers, home cities, etc.

Brennan

7. FerrariKingV12

FerrariKingV12 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    Laguna Beach CA
    Full Name:
    JR
    I agree, we currently have the option to list yourself as anonymous on the registry so it would not show the name of the owner. I am meeting with Viranya in a few minutes and we are going to add some new features.

Does anyone have an image of an original invoice for a 365, 400 & 412??

8. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Heres total factory production figures apart from 412.

365GT42+2 (all manual and carburetted of course) 525 built

400 (carburetted automatic) 355 built

400GT (carburetted manual) 147 built

400i (fuel injected automatic) 883 built

400GTi (fuel injected manual) 422 built

Hope usefull
    Regards
    Alastair

9. FerrariKingV12

FerrariKingV12 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    Laguna Beach CA
    Full Name:
    JR
    Thank you for the spreadsheet it is great to see a breakout of left handed to right handed. I will update the history on the registry to reflect left handed vs right handed.

10. FerrariKingV12

FerrariKingV12 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    Laguna Beach CA
    Full Name:
    JR
    Thank you for your numbers. We are pretty close in numbers. I got the numbers I had out of Cavallino magazine but it appears that there are differing numbers. I wish Ferrari would make an official number for me and I recently sent them an e-mail but still no answer.

I can't thank everyone enough for their opinions and ability to share information. Thanks also to Dave Stacy for advising me the number of totals or part cars he has. I am going to put them in the registry tonight.

I also updated the registry the whole family history on all of the V12 2+2. Give it a look and if you have any suggestions let me know.

JR

11. FerrariKingV12

FerrariKingV12 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    Laguna Beach CA
    Full Name:
    JR
    I also added Did You Know which is where I will put fun facts about our cars that common owners like myself did not know. Dave has shared a couple of fun facts I will try to get up tomorrow. If you have any you would like to share send them to me.

12. Lars Theunissen

Lars Theunissen F1 Veteran

Mar 2, 2005
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Lars Theunissen
    The site sure is a nice initiative. A few comments though:

The last listing in your registry is definitely incorrect (s/n 74374). The s/n would be in the 412 range, not the 400. However, it would even be incorrect for a 412, since s/ns ending with 0, 2, 4, 6 or 8 were first used from 75,000 onwards.

Also, I think Ferrari will object to you using the official logos (prancing horse & Ferrari) on the site. They are quite strict on this and it would be a shame if you would get into trouble through their lawyers.

I´m also a bit puzzled by the colours I see listed in the registry: Colours like Blu Tour de France and Argento Nürburgring f.e. seem to be incorrect as these were first offered many years after 365-400-412 production ended.

Ciao,

Lars T.

13. GreggG

GreggG Karting

Jul 14, 2008
    New Jersey
    John, a nice addition to the registery could potentially be including links to articles about these models. I have attached a link below to a thread in this forum where others have been generous enough to provide articles in their possession. The gtc/4 registry, I believe, also does this and it's a nice addition. The one caveat, however, is that you will need to be mindful of copyright issues. Keep up the good work. Gregg

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221060&highlight=article

14. FerrariKingV12

FerrariKingV12 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    Laguna Beach CA
    Full Name:
    JR
    Lars:
    Thanks for the comments I will relook at 74374. I am still a student of our cars so I appreciate any corrections.

I am adding some disclaimers and recognizing Ferrari as the owner of the Trademarks this AM. I am having Viranya at Sugartree make those changes. Check later this afternoon and you should see them.

The colors is something I am trying to get a handle on Dave Stacy has been helping me and sent me a cool picture of a color wheel but if you or anyone else has the written italian names and english translations for exterior and interior colors that would be great and I could get it fixed today.

Thanks for the feedback and hopefully in the next couple of weeks it will be dialed in and a good resource for everyone.

15. FerrariKingV12

FerrariKingV12 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    Laguna Beach CA
    Full Name:
    JR
    Gregg:
    Thanks for the comments I will put this up in the media section of the site and will keep the article through Ferrari Chat. In addition I am putting some links up today which include Ferrari Chat so if anyone has any good resources for our cars let me know and I can put them up.

16. pks41805

pks41805 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2007
    Colorado Springs, Co
    Full Name:
    Paul Sloan
    Dave, do you have any info on Trend Imports? This name is stamped
    on the door jam tag of my car.

17. GreggG

GreggG Karting

Jul 14, 2008
    New Jersey
    Without trying to highjack this thread, a quick internet search turned up the following article about Trend Imports...

Newport Beach - 'Gray-Market' Auto Dealer Pleads Guilty
    By George Ramos \f7|August 10, 1985
    A Newport Beach entrepreneur, who has been called the nation's largest importer of so-called "gray market" automobiles, has pleaded guilty to charges that he submitted phony smog-test results to the Environmental Protection Agency, federal prosecutors in Los Angeles said Friday.
    Albert Mardikian, 39, abruptly decided Thursday to plead guilty to one count of mail fraud and nine counts of submitting false documents to the EPA, according to Michael Fayad, a Justice Department attorney.
    The decision came as the prosecution was in the midst of presenting its case against Mardikian, operator of Trend Import Sales of Newport Beach, and his nephew, Garo Mardikian, 28, of Torrance, who also pleaded guilty.
    The two men were named in a 35-count federal indictment returned last May 23 in a scheme involving so-called gray market autos--European versions of luxury vehicles, such as BMWs, Ferraris, Mercedes and others, imported independently of authorized dealerships.
    Albert Mardikian was accused of submitting EPA-required results for smog-emission tests that were never performed.
    Since the gray-market versions were never intended for use or sale in the United States, they must pass EPA smog standards before they can legally be sold and driven in this country, federal prosecutors said.
    EPA officials at the trial said importers of gray-market autos can offer the vehicles at substantially lower prices. For example, a gray-market version of a $40,000 Porsche sold by an authorized dealer in the United States could be priced at around $28,000 by an independent importer.
    Under the agreement worked out for the guilty pleas, federal prosecutors said that 25 other counts against Albert Mardikian would be dropped.
    Garo Mardikian, who worked as an engineer in his uncle's smog-testing laboratory, agreed to plead guilty to three counts of mail fraud, prosecutors said. Seven counts alleging mail fraud were dropped, they added.

18. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Interesting, Gregg!

However, Mardikian's worst crime was the production of that awful 400 limousine. He should have got life without parole for that monstrosity.

Aidan

19. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hey Greg that means that Paul's car is probably blowing pollution like crazy and is the major culprit for global warming.
    Oh Paul you scofflaw you :D

20. GreggG

GreggG Karting

Jul 14, 2008
    New Jersey
    Dave, I agree. Paul, you may be kicking out some extra emissions, but, hey, you also have the benefit of a few extra ponies under the hood as compared to other federalized cars! Paul, three letters.... WOT!!

21. GreggG

GreggG Karting

Jul 14, 2008
    New Jersey
    Aidan, I couldn't agree more; however, life w/out parole, seems a little lenient under these facts. I sure we can collectively think of something more befitting the crime...

22. FerrariKingV12

FerrariKingV12 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    Laguna Beach CA
    Full Name:
    JR
    Looks like he did 6 months and paid a $175,000 fine. If they had only known he was responsible for the 400 Limo, probably would have done at least 5 or 6 years and probably three times the fine.

23. pks41805

pks41805 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2007
    Colorado Springs, Co
    Full Name:
    Paul Sloan
    Just in case the Feds reading, MY CAR DID NOT COME FROM TREND!!!!!!!!

24. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Firstly, the car you have listed as 74374 is actually 55145. That isn't Pozzi blue either. It was originally Azzurro Met. and, from the pictures, probably still is.

These are the colours I have recorded in which 400s and 412s were originally delivered to the UK (not necessarily complete). I am not sure whether some colours were available as both metallic and non-metallic or whether that's just how I've got them in my database (information comes from multiple sources). The English translations in brackets are my own. Note that the Italians distinguish between light blue (azzurro) and dark blue (blu) so you end up with blu chiaro which literally means "light dark blue". Chiaro means "light" and scuro means "dark". Most of the names relate to horses (e.g. Hyperion won the English Derby horse race in 1933, Auteuil is a French horse race course etc.).

Argento (Silver)
    Argento Auteuil (Auteuil Silver)
    Argento Met (Silver metallic)
    Avorio Safari (Safari Ivory)
    Azzurro Gladiateur (Gladiator light blue)
    Azzurro Hyperion (Hyperion light blue)
    Azzurro Met (Light blue metallic)
    Bianco (White)
    Blu Chiaro (literally = light dark blue)
    Blu Chiaro Met (literally = light dark blue metallic)
    Blu Medio (Medium blue)
    Blu Ortis (Ortis blue)
    Blu Ribot (Ribot blue)
    Blu Ribot Met (Ribot blue metallic)
    Blu Scuro (Dark blue)
    Blu Sera (Evening blue)
    Blu Sera Met (Evening blue metallic)
    Bruno Acajou (Acajou brown = Cashew nut brown)
    Celeste (Sky blue)
    Celeste Gainsborough (Sky blue Gainborough)
    Celeste Met (Sky blue metallic)
    Giallo Fly (Fly yellow)
    Gold Poly Met (Gold Poly metallic)
    Grigio (Grey)
    Grigio Argento (Silver grey)
    Grigio Argento Le Sancy (Silver grey Le Sancy)
    Grigio Argento Met (Silver grey metallic)
    Grigio Fumo Herbol (Fumo Herbol grey)
    Grigio Mammoud (Mammoud grey)
    Grigio Met (Metallic grey)
    Grigio Scuro (Dark grey)
    Marrone Colorado (Colorado brown)
    Marrone Met (Brown metallic)
    Nero (Black)
    Nero Dark Ronald (Dark Ronald black)
    Nero Met (Black metallic)
    Oro Chiaro (Light gold)
    Oro Kelso (Kelso gold)
    Prugna (Prune)
    Prugna Met (Prune metallic)
    Rosso Cherry (Cherry red)
    Rosso Corsa (Racing red)
    Rosso Met (Red metallic)
    Rosso Nearco (Nearco red)
    Rosso Sir Ivor (Sir Ivor red)
    Verde Chiaro (Light green)
    Verde Medio (Medium green)
    Verde Medio Met (Medium green metallic)
    Verde Pino (Pine green)
    Verde Pino Blenheim (Blenheim pine green)
    Verde Pino Met (Pine green metallic)
    Verde Scuro (Dark green)
    Verde Scuro Met (Dark green metallic)
    Verde Speciale (Special green)
    Verde Tenue (Tenue green)

Interior colours and codes as follows (note more than one shade of beige):
    Beige (VM 3218)
    Beige (VM 846)
    Black (VM 8500)
    Blue (VM 3282)
    Brown (VM 890)
    Cream (VM 3997)
    Grey (VM 3393)
    Light blue (VM 3015)
    Red (VM 3171)
    Sabbia (VM 3234)

Jonathan

25. FerrariKingV12

FerrariKingV12 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    Laguna Beach CA
    Full Name:
    JR
    Jonathon:

Thanks for the colors, I will list the more common on the top and the others on the bottom. I will also update the registry per your correct classification. Do you have any idea on the beiges for which would be light vs dark??