Ferrari 400 Buyer's Guide | FerrariChat

Ferrari 400 Buyer's Guide

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Joltcan, Jan 10, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Joltcan

Joltcan Rookie

Jan 10, 2006
    Does anyone know a good Buyer's Guide or resources for buying a Ferrari 400? All oher tips or suggestions are also welcome.

Problem is that everybody keeps telling me that this is a save Ferrari to buy ;-)

I already found this one:
    http://www.ferrariforum.com/classified/guides.php#43

2. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Use the search function on this site, the pro's and cons of 400's gets debated every month or so

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Unless Forza magazine did a special buyers guide issue on it, you probably found one of the few...

If I were shopping for a 400, I'd search on f-chat to see who owns one. You could start a thread in the classic section that's more informative - with real info from people not trying to sell you a car.

4. Cannoli

Cannoli Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Norman
    I quickly went through my (complete) set of Forza magazines ... no buyers guide for the 400.

5. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
  6. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    #6 simonc, Jan 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. aleventhal

aleventhal Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    I use a Ferrari 400i (#049773, 1984 production) as my daily driver. Just turned 45k miles. Coating ALL the electical connnections with Stabilant 22 should solve most electrical problems. Also be careful of deteriorating traces in the fuse box / relay board. This is a when, not if question. When it happens, solder a wire onto the board to replace the bad trace - problem solved. Also, leakdown and compression tests are mandatory, and a careful inspection of the rear panel for soot and exhaust for smoke are as well - these cars often run fine but have poor compression or oil consumption problems so trust but verify!

let me know what other questions you have,

Alex

8. Joltcan

Joltcan Rookie

Jan 10, 2006
    Thanks for the great help. I can't wait to own one ... but will hold my breath untill the right one comes along.

9. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Just be sure to get the 5 speed model! I once owned Al Garthwaites former daily driver 1977 400GT 5 speed and it was a great car. I traded it along with a 328GTS to FCI for a 1986 TR years ago...back when TRs were $89k+...