Ferrari 355... the best looking Ferrari ever made. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 355... the best looking Ferrari ever made.

Discussion in '348/355' started by Brian_L, Mar 5, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. i_love_cph

i_love_cph Karting

Apr 26, 2007
    MONACO
    +1
    I got my 355 GTS as 23 years old and my 360 Spider as a 25 year old.
    I still love my 355 the most : )

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Wow, you were a young pup when you bought those Ferraris. :):)

3. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Ha! No replies on the 288 GTO! I was just throwing that out there for fodder! Had to do something, as it's no fair that you guys have 355s! ;-) Best looking and sounding Ferrari V8 ever :)

4. Jeff348

Jeff348 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    S.I.New York
    Full Name:
    jeff spezzano
    #54 Jeff348, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
    I wonder if it's mine. Where do you live? There's a few of us on here with yellow one's who live in S.I. Just like they said don't give up or sell yourself short. It took me till I was 35 for my first. They really are worth the wait. Good luck!!

5. Primm907

Primm907 Rookie

Apr 23, 2011
    Fayetteville, AR
    Full Name:
    Scott Primm
    Been lurking for a few days now. I just got back from a great weekend in Napa where I had the pleasure of driving a 599 along with 4 other awesome cars through the World Class Driving experience. On our way out of town on Sunday, we decided to stop by Mario Andretti's winery. Boy was it my lucky day. Mario was there and just happened to be hosting a luncheon for a Ferrari Club. There had to be at least 50 to 60 Ferrari's of every color and model lined up. Although the 458 is a beautiful machine, there's just something about the 355 that speaks to me. As a result, my quest has begun. It may take me a few years, but I'll make it happen. I told a good friend that now the financial part has to be devised as well as the justification. His response was classic, "figure out the financial piece, and you've justified it!".

6. freakintopgear

Aug 4, 2011
    What kind of careers are you guys in! No rudeness intended but I'm only sixteen and live in Minnesota and still don't know what I want to do after college! I've always wanted a Ferrari (355 ftw!!) but I've always laughed because I knew I would never own one... You guys raised my hopes though! any tips on life? haha :D

7. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    I take pictures as a commercial photographer for a living. Not an investment banker or famous brain surgeon. That's it. Just good pictures, although it's way more work than most envision.

You can't "know" you will never own one, because at 16 you don't know ****. I was SURE I would be 50+ before my first, and it happened at 27. Now I am considering a second! As long as you are passionate about your work, the money will flow. One of my best friends is from Minnesota and has retired with more than enough cash money to buy 10 F40's, and he did it with zero college education or family help. He started his career at 29 in SF from being a tour guide in Hawaii. A good brain is there from birth IMO.

8. SKUSA

SKUSA Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2009
    Norcal
    Cuneo, I think you are hitting the nail on the head. Ferrari guys (and gals) or some of the coolest, fun, interesting people I have met. It seems the underlying common thread is that no matter what field of work, they are innovative and passionate about life. Freakintopgear, don't worry about the possible down sides, just focus on what you want and the amazing possibilities before you. Live your life with gusto! It will naturally happen with your car (Ferrari) as well.

9. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    I wholeheartedly agree.

Type of job doesn't matter. I got my 355 11 years ago at 28 years old. I wasn't rich, but I had a good job, saved money and bought the car. I wish you the best, and I know you can do it if you try ;)

10. benny355

benny355 Karting

Jul 20, 2010
    If I can give any advise to obtain your dream, this would be it:

I'm not suggesting sacrificing your youth, have fun with your friends... just be smart about it. I was amazed at how many of my friends growing up would blow ALL their money on beer, girls, and partying - Every weekend!! I always had fun with them but from an early age, I always had a goal and put money aside - whether it was for my first dirtbike, ATV, car, or ???

The difference was the next day, while they were sitting on there ass playing video games, I was out dirtbiking.

If a Ferrari 355 is your dream, make it your goal... and YOU CAN make it happen!

I drove my first Ferrari in Vegas 3 years ago. Set my goal. Here I am today at 32 yrs old with my beautiful F355 :)

Congrats to you guys that achieved ownership in your 20's!!

11. s2mikey

s2mikey Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Upstate, New York
    Full Name:
    Mike B
    The 355 is defintely in the top 2 best looking Ferraris ever. I still have to give the best-looking Ferrari award to the original 308 GTB - the '76 or '77 with NO gaudy bumpers or anything like that. Simply perfection. The later 308/328 cars are also amazingly beautiful.

Other than the 308 series though, there is NO doubt that the 355 is the best looking car they've made. It craps all over the boring and rounded-off 360/430 series and even bests the 458 Italia which just doesnt look "right" to me.

So then:

308 = 1a
    355 = 1b or 2

:)

12. mlambert890

mlambert890 Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2002
    CA
    Id say, realistically, it is about priorities as well.

I don't think a material object is a good goal, personally. I think for a young person, you need to get serious about what you want to do.

Someone might be "only" a *whatever*, but they still might make $500k a year. I know plenty of people who say "I did it all and Im "just" a plumber!" But they make more money than surgeons that I know.

So it's true that it isn't "what" you do, but there is no way around the fact that you need a pretty hefty income to buy something like this and realistically own and maintain it.

THe only caveats are if you are fortunate to be really mechanically inclined and can do the vast majority of the work on your own (a priceless skill IMO, and I disagree that "anyone" can do it - I know I absolutely cannot :D), or if you skew your priorities heavily towards the car.

And by that I mean... Ferrari comes first before owning a house, putting away retirement money, having a stable foundation, etc.

Anyone who says that at 23 they bought a Ferrari cash after having established the beginnings of a nest egg and bought a home, is making some major cash no matter what they do.

The economy has gotten brutal and the job market is very difficult. To the OP, I would say start now deciding what you are really passionate about *and* have some talent for. It may be that you have a knack for something that you aren't super passionate about, or that you have huge passion for something you have no talent in. THat's a tough decision point there. But once you pick a path, pursue it with absolute focus and be deliberate in managing your chosen career. Try to avoid distractions and avoid the temptation to burn money early.

I think it is better to focus on building a strong career foundation first, and a roadmap forward, and then allow material items to come as a side effect. Just my 2 cents (but Im 40 and still don't feel I can afford a Ferrari, so maybe better to listen to the other guys! :D )

13. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    #63 pnicholasen, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'd have to go with the original GTO as best of show, with the Dino a close second. Also the P4 and Spyder California a la Ferris Bueller's copy are pretty lust worthy. After that the 355 is certainly up there. I cheated and chucked some 355 lower door panels on my 348 to get close....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I was gonna say that is a 355 with 348 wheels :)

15. benny355

benny355 Karting

Jul 20, 2010
    Many good points here but I wouldn't classify 500k as a *whatever* job, No matter what you did ;) I would also hope someone would be paying there own mortgage vs. renting before taking the plunge on a F-car!

With prioritizing your spending and saving - Ferrari ownership (308/328/348/355) can be obtained by someone earning less than 100K/yr.... especially if your a DIY'er. Yes problems may arise that may take some time to repair financially. But like a good woman, you can't always ride her anytime you please! To me that is the reality of owning a Ferrari without being Richy Rich - I can accept that or try a Porsche. Once you have driven a Ferrari, no 911 can substitute!

16. freakintopgear

Aug 4, 2011
    Yeah I'm one of those kids that goes and spends my money when I get my hands on it... My parents still laugh at me when I say I'm gonna own a Ferrari someday... Haha we have an old Buick and two minivans... But seriously, great advice. I'm gonna try and prioritize things in my life and everything now...

17. mpodgor

mpodgor Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2005
    San Mateo, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Michael J Podgorski
    Here are step by step instructions on getting a 355. First. Find a woman who has a really good job, fall in love & get married. You'll have to live with the wench for about 10 years.While married buy a house. Make sure it will appreciate. Take out a 15 year mortage and pay that mother down as best as you 2 can. Now for the important part. Start drinking heavily. She will have to divorce you. If things go as planned you will reap in a hefty amount from the sale of the house. Now don't hesitate. Find your dream car and pay it off in cash. Now look for a cheap apartment with a garage. You're all set. Enjoy the ride.Oh, good lord. I almost forgot. Do not make kids!!!!!

18. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes

LOL!!

19. mpodgor

mpodgor Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2005
    San Mateo, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Michael J Podgorski
    My 355 promised me she will not divorce me. I trust her.

20. s2mikey

s2mikey Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Upstate, New York
    Full Name:
    Mike B
    Yeah - just dont "over" save or forego fun now for what might happen way in the future. Ive seen too many people live like paupers through their prime years fully expecting to be just like that silver-haired couple perusing the beach with a grandkid on each arm that you see in those Merril Lynch commercials. Yeah, right. Most of us at that age, if even alive, will be on 34 prescriptions, using a walker, and will be lucky to walk let alone frolick on the beach. Or, you hand all that money over to a nursing home or a doctor. F-that!

Hate to say it, but living for today is just as important as some long-term planning. Balance it out. Have some fun NOW because you never knwo what tomorrow may bring. Sure, save some and try some investing. But, you cant take it with you.

And, by the time these "savers" can actually enjoy their money, they wont be able to even get into a Ferrari/exotic car and will just end up with a Buick anyways. Thats if they are healthy and vibrant which is also hard to predict.

21. DB 355

DB 355 Rookie

Apr 19, 2011
    Utah
    Full Name:
    DB

22. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    No argument here. The 355 is one of the best looking cars, not just Ferrari, of all time.

23. mpodgor

mpodgor Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2005
    San Mateo, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Michael J Podgorski
    #73 mpodgor, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
    Just because I own one I'm being un-biased. The F355 Spider is the ****. It may not be the fastest, or the most reliable and bla, bla, bla. Bottom line. It is the sexiest car ever to come from the mind of man. Period. Now you ask, what's #2. That's up for debate......Prius?

24. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Can't arue with either of you (and I am a 348 owner ;))

25. mpodgor

mpodgor Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2005
    San Mateo, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Michael J Podgorski
    Very nice machine!!!