Ferrari 2021 Season - Preparation/News | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 2021 Season - Preparation/News

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Dec 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    The car won’t be his biggest concern,
    his teammate will be.

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I would hope that Ferrari put the 2021 engine in the old chassis...

3. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    possibly ... I seem to remember McLaren were ahead of Ferrari much of last year... but I get that each car may have a different feel... but assuredly the 2018 car ( with the illegal fuel flow is not representative of what was last years car.... brakes? ok, but how much different are they from those of Mclaren? much of that is frozen in the rules 5-8g lateral braking is the same feel in any car.... stuff like throttle map, and pedal mapping / shape may be something that is learned, but other than PR I don't see what this does... I guess he can try out different seats to feel comfortable ... I don't know that there is much "feel" in these cars... its more like confidence that the car can make it through a corner vs. the feel in the seat of the pants... but I supposed there is some "feeling" on what the car is doing... just don't know how much that translates between 4 year old cars...to modern.

4. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    that would be illegal no?

5. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    During testing, whether what Ferrari is doing currently OR a filming test OR Pirelli test, you can test components for next year.....just not the complete package. You can swap out as many components as you like during these testing practices without being penalized.

It's no different than testing a mule car with next year components.

375+ likes this.
  6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    really- so you could test a new engine? i thought that was verboten? .... but lets hope Ferrari is using this time to be competitive. I'm all for the unfair advantage...

kes7u and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  7. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Yes, you can test a new engine JUST not in the next years car.

DF1 and 375+ like this.
  8. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I suppose re-engineering the old car to test the new engine just a few days is not worth the effort.

9. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    If the new engine mounts to the same brackets, it is no problemo.
    But the transmission needs to have the same suspension pickup points, too.

10. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    They’re probably full speed ahead just getting the new car ready let alone updating a 2-year old car with not just the engine but all it’s modified engine externals and accessories, revised bodywork, etc. Just not likely or feasible.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    This week is strictly a wake up test.

DF1 and ingegnere like this.
  12. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    The engine mounts are the same not just for all Ferrari engines, but for all manufacturers, it's mandatory to help teams make the transition from one supplier to another.

But still they have to redo the cooling and many more things. Ask McLaren for more info.

375+ likes this.
  13. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Thanks, I was unaware of this set of rules.

14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    bending the rules a little is all;)

15. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
  16. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

#117 DF1, Feb 1, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    PU combined with aero changes yield his rational view. Podium consistency would be a victory in the larger scheme. He is realistic overall I think. He also knows until testing it would be good to carry this attitude. Not lead things down a rose path that only has thorns possibly.

Cost cap limitations as well could impact.

ingegnere likes this.
  17. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    I think his realism is born of the fact they were too far back last year and had not planned on much effort on the car—relying on the engine to get them through the year—while planning on the new rules for 2021. Covid and the TDs hit, and the rest is history.

He mentioned that if they had the normal liberty of engine upgrades they would not have been the worst engine so probably already had changed worth 25 or 30 hp but couldn’t implement them.

jgonzalesm6 and DF1 like this.
  18. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    F1 rules are just too strict and extensive to expect huge leaps forward, especially after several years of development. Only a move like McLaren going from Renault to Mercedes has the potential to have a big impact on performance. I expect to see Macca increase its lead over Ferrari this year.

Bas likes this.
  19. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Come on, guys, let´s get real: Ferrari was 6th, closer to 7th than to 5th. Do you really think that a team that is 6th one year can win a race the next? (unless it´s the occasional random win that happens from time to time).

Patience. The real success is not winning but living many years.

635CSI, DF1 and jpalmito like this.
  20. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    I think people are underestimating the goodness of the Renault engine—look at the jump the factory team made last year—so the Merc, while better than the Renault may not be such a leap forward, especially since McL will need to adapt car and settings to the new engine. As an example of the relative strength of the Merc, there certainly wasn’t the advantage at Williams they had when the Merc was head and shoulders above the rest.

The biggest gain for McL will be having Ricciardo on board. He’s going to be a big addition to their performance.

jpalmito likes this.
  21. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Andeas Seidl has turned Mclaren around.

Ricciardo is definitely a plus for the team. It's gonna be intersting between Ricciardo and Norris.

375+, ricksb and william like this.
  22. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Well said about Seidl. Now Mclaren are one of the best managed teams on the grid with Seidl and Zak. I hope for the most success for them now. They did well with Renault last year yes. They gained the most of that PU/package.

375+, 635CSI, william and 1 other person like this.
  23. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Agreed.

Seidl was team principal for the Porsche LMP1 program.

Mercedes PU definitely a plus along with Ricciardo.

I hope Ricciardo and Max fight against each other once again....cleanly.

DF1 likes this.
  24. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    They will have no problem achieving that; they have been in F1 since 1950 !!

But I would have thought that Ferrari had a more ambitious program than just participating.

greg328 likes this.