Ferrari 166MM-53 Abarth for sale | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 166MM-53 Abarth for sale

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Boudewijn, Jun 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Monoposto

Monoposto Karting

Aug 1, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks for that picture! I know the Adriaensen books... great stuff!!!

You've got the Allegerita book?

2. 2000 touring sp

Sep 8, 2006
    Is there any informations haw the car looked with the original Vignale or the later Scaglietti body

Abarth Ferrari 166MM 1953

The racing class up to 2000ccm was continuously popular in Italy. Up to the start of the season of 1953 Ferrari had made changed on the 166 chassis .He took the brakes from tipo 212 and the rear axle from 340america. The Colombo designed 12cyl. Engine was running in its 5 year and developed 160 hp at 7000 r/min Compression 9,0:1 and with Webbers 36IF4C.
    The Scuderia Guastalla had just received a Ferrari 166MM with Vignale body, but the driver Giulio Musitella was unsatisfied with the car, as he claimed that it was to heavy.
    He went to Carlo Abarth to get help. Carlo Abarth promised to help and he removed all the parts and made a new car with inspiration in design from the Scaglione designed Abarth 1400 from 1952 with the central driver light.
    As the unconventional man Carlo Abarth was. To the chassis he made a body that was designed to race. All the parts was made as single pieces and bolted on the chassis.
    This construction made it easy to repair when there had been damage.
    On the chassis/body Abarth saved 55kg and the total weight of the new chassis/body was 275 kg.
    The improvements made results. Musitella took class victory in Taga Floria and used the car for the whole season 1953 with best result general victory in Messina 10 hours race.
    For the 1954 season the car was equipped with the new Ferrari 250GT engine 3,0 L and 220 hp.
    Later in 1954 it had a new carouse from Scagletti. Without any success, there after the Ferrari chassis 0262M disappeared.
    Almost 50 years after the Abarth body was changed the car turns up with a new replica body.

3. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Yes, but it's not for sale. I got 3 copies from Tony when the book first came out; one for me and two for Alfa friends in the US. I paid something like $70 each. I want the Fiat 8V/Siata book badly, but at the moment it is a big expense. I supplied some information to Tony on Siata when he first started doing that book something like 10 years ago.

I have about 2000 car books, but there are at least 100 on my wants list, including all of the Sannia and Fornai books I do not have as yet, plus the Alfa, Ferrari and Bugatti Argentina books, the Bucciali book, some new ones on Delage and Delahaye, Le Mans, and on and on.

4. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

I've never seen a photo of the Scaglietti body that was on this car. My Vignale Ferrari book by Massini is on loan at the moment, but I think there is a picture of the original Vignale body on this car in it...

Here is a link to a photo of the Stanguellini Fiat 1200 Spider America Scaglione. I believe it is a "one-off"..

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/etceterinidoctor/photo/294928804246271123/0

5. Monoposto

Monoposto Karting

Aug 1, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I don't wanna buy it.. ;-)
    But it's a masterpiece!

You've got your own library, I'm jealous!

The Bucciali book is on sale in Holland for 39 euro's (it's a bargain and a wellknown store):

http://www.automodellen.nl/new/cardocstockbrand.php?merkid=3649

6. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

Thanks, just ordered it! One down and 99 more to go.....of course I'll probably add a few more when I get my e-mails showing new listings at Libreria 'dell Automobile and from other shops.

Part of my library was my fathers, who was a panel-beater for the Mercedes Benz GP team pre-WWII, and later, raced a Lotus. I don't remember if it was a Lotus 8, 9 or 10.

7. Motorace

Motorace Rookie

Jul 10, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dan Eastwood
    Back when I had a thousand books, my wife asked how many more I needed to feel complete. I said "ten".

When I had two thousand, she asked how many I still needed and I said "five".

Somehow, it's hard to stop collecting more books than just the ones you think you need to complete your collection... especially when they won't stop coming out with new ones!

8. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    My collection of books doesn't come close to my wife's collection of yarn, emroidery materials, beads, fabric, cross-stitch, etc, etc....

9. Manel

Manel Karting

Oct 7, 2004
    Catalonia
    Full Name:
    J.Manuel Baró

10. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

11. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #86 Boudewijn, Feb 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

12. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

13. Manel

Manel Karting

Oct 7, 2004
    Catalonia
    Full Name:
    J.Manuel Baró

14. carvad

carvad Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Full Name:
    Vadim Dobrovolskyi
    #89 carvad, Apr 2, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
    Does anybody seen photos 0262M with first Vignale body?? I can't any find... Or may be car in the beginning was delivered to Abarth?

15. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    0262 M NEVER had a Vignale body. it was BORN with an Abarth body. The famous Abarth Smontabile Spider.

Marcel Massini

16. carvad

carvad Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Full Name:
    Vadim Dobrovolskyi
    Mr. Massini, thank you so much. It's amazing car. And extra rare of course

17. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Smontabile=dismountable, I think. And Wayne Sparling is an acknowledged master craftaman, IMHO. As someone around here likes to say, just my 2 cents worth.

18. etceterini.com

etceterini.com Karting

May 26, 2008
    St. Louis MO
    Full Name:
    Cliff Reuter
    #93 etceterini.com, Apr 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. carvad

carvad Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Full Name:
    Vadim Dobrovolskyi
    Car had 1st IC place at the '53 Targa Florio to according the several sources. Is it not correct, I believe? Many cars had finished before Musitelli in S2.0 class.

20. carvad

carvad Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Full Name:
    Vadim Dobrovolskyi
  21. carvad

carvad Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Full Name:
    Vadim Dobrovolskyi
    #96 carvad, Mar 31, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
    Would love to see photo of the Giulio Musitelli (customer of the 0262 M) in 1952-54... Does anybody has any pics? Thanks in advance.

22. gimmea250swb

gimmea250swb Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    The black part down by the exhaust is actually part of the chassis. The white part is a modified bumper that was recently added since it didn't have one originally.

23. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I assume you are looking for pictures of the original 0262 M. I have copies of numerous pictures of the original as well as an original "2 litre V-12 Ferrari body by Abarth" article published in several publications. Though not perfect the rebody is an extraudinary effort to recreate the original with only a few pictures and sketches to go by. If you wish send me your P O address and I can send you copies. tongascrew

24. carvad

carvad Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Full Name:
    Vadim Dobrovolskyi

can not to send PM :( (has exceeded stored private messages quota)

25. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Sorry. I should have listed my e-mail: [email protected]