355 - Fender damage after HRE installation...anyone else? | FerrariChat

355 Fender damage after HRE installation...anyone else?

Discussion in '348/355' started by suburbangrown, Mar 31, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. suburbangrown

suburbangrown Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    fargo nd
    Full Name:
    Steve W
    Had the 355 for not too long now and have run into what is appearing to be a recurring problem and wonder if anyone has any advice or similar issue. Purchased some HREs for the car and used their recommended sizes:
    Fronts – 18x8.5 et31
    Rears – 19x11 et66

While being more aggressive offset than stock, I hadn't heard of any issues given it seems to be the popular choice on the cars. Fast forward a week after install and discovered that there must have been some nasty snag which pulled out some of the interior fender (pics below). After getting that fixed, I ended up replacing the front right coil and spring w/ a different one I picked up off of the bay which the shop here said should have taken care of it (the front passenger side before replacement could bottom out by hand compared to matching drivers and passenger side after replacement). That said, another week after that, found a similar pull. Given the location in the front passenger, it must be happening when I back up and go full turn to grab on and pull the metal out.

That said, would stiffer springs help? do I need to raise it? any other random ideas? I had ordered lowering springs which although lower should've been stiffer, but a bit hesitant on that now. Perhaps shipping all the coils out for rebuild? I know if I go back to stock wheels the issue would likely go away, but the original wheels are a bit beat up and frankly don't look as good imo.

Appreciate any help! Thanks!

Initial damage:

Current damage:

Wheels:

2. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Fenders need to be rolled.

OCKlasse likes this.
  3. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    There's an incredibly simple solution -- narrower tires. What you've got there is a little 2 fast and 2 furious.

albert328gts and Kokose7en like this.
  4. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    I had that problem with my 19" on my 348. Solved it by winding(stiffening/raising) up the front springs/and rear. My car is lowered, still is, but raised just enough to eliminate that headache. To 'wind' up the springs easily, get yourself some good spring compressors, the cheap ones don't fit the smaller coils. I tightened the springs about 1/4", seems to have solve the grabbing. I actually added some to the rear, to even out! Or, do as 'ShineKen' suggests, and roll the fenders. Be careful not to raise to much, otherwise you may affect the 'suspension rake' of the car. Another suggestion, stay away from potholes in tight turning spaces.

5. Kokose7en

Kokose7en Karting

Dec 5, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    I agree, 245 for the front setup is too wide for that offset. If that is Michelin 4S’s, then they also run fatter on the sidewalls than other tires.

6. Kokose7en

Kokose7en Karting

Dec 5, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Looking at your front tire size now, at 245/40/18, it is also too tall. If you wanted a 245 tire. It should be 245/35/18. Michelin also makes a 4s in that size.

7. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Agreed and check camber. Even a small change can change the clearance drastically.

ShineKen likes this.
  8. Kokose7en

Kokose7en Karting

Dec 5, 2019
    SF Bay Area
  9. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    You'll get better performance out of 225's and 265's too -- less unsprung weight, and less driveline weight for the engine to spin up. Not sure why one would use 245's on the front of a 355.

10. jferrante

jferrante Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2016
    245 40 is the main issue but can be resolved by just rolling. 245 35 is the correct tire if you want that setup

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

11. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    When did they move Washington State to the east coast:D

12. Kokose7en

Kokose7en Karting

Dec 5, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    *West Coast!!! :confused::confused:

13. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I use 235 front, 265 rear.

14. OCKlasse

OCKlasse Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 5, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon K
    bcar1 likes this.
  15. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    My tires can grab a fender during sharp turns if going up a ramp at the same time.
    I avoid that situation.
    Rolling the fenders and negative camber will help as well.

16. suburbangrown

suburbangrown Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    fargo nd
    Full Name:
    Steve W
    thanks everyone! honestly the only reason we got those tires was it was recommended from the rep where I picked up the HREs.

Sounds like new tires (thinking 225 or 235 / 35 sounds safe) plus some rolling will hopefully fix the issue. Appreciate it again!

17. watkinsgt

watkinsgt Karting

Feb 4, 2008
    I've successfully 'rolled' two wheel arch lips. Now I almost never get a 'chirp' and then only on extremely tight full compression corners. My experience is: Use a wood baseball bat. Take your time. You don't want an edge. You want a bevel. To much edge will crack paint. Start inside and work out - toward you. Take your time. Start small with the already snagged, bent out portion plus 1/2 inch on either side - hopefully 3'' or less. You can roll more later if you have to. Drive the car and check often. You can always roll more. Darn near impossible to unroll. Take your time. Done right it's almost unnoticeable.