Feedback on Concorso Italiano `08 | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Feedback on Concorso Italiano `08

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by nzo4re, Aug 15, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    #226 GCalo, Mar 3, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
    And I am sure everyone just received the CI mass e-mail!

Apparently the new Maserati function is causing CI heart attacks!

2. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    yep. curiouser and curiouser

3. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    My vote goes to Blackhorse!

4. david1175

david1175 Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2004
    in the doghouse
    Full Name:
    David
    I just received this email:

Dear Fellow Enthusiast,

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Tom McDowell. I recently acquired the Concorso Italiano from Jack and Leslie Wadsworth. For many years, the Concorso has been a trend setting show with many traditional aspects that all have anticipated and enjoyed each year. From humble beginnings in the early 90s evolved a special camaraderie that most of you have shared. The founders, Frank and Janet Mandarano, brought in legendary Italian personalities who were honored to be part of the experience of being with you, their fans, in a one-on-one basis on a lush green lawn surrounded by the cars they had designed, raced, or engineered.

I understand well, that great moment when Piero Ferrari, Sergio Pininfarina and Luigi Chinetti Jr. drove up on stage with Piero driving the 3-seat Ferrari Dino Concept and the three of them began discussing their fathers and their lives in their father's business. The huge audience gathered in and around the overflowing bleachers. Their questions were answered - all in good humor - and the cacophony from the paparazzi cameras signaled this was something very special, and it was!

We, the new Concorso owners, believe that holding the 2008 event at the Marina airport was an unfortunate decision. It will not happen again. We seek to quickly return the Concorso experience back to the one you have known in the past.

I have now been the owner of CI for two weeks and have had time to speak with several past guests, and read the letters and press reports. Clearly, many of you take a more personal interest in this gathering of fellow enthusiasts and perhaps have a "protective" and/or somewhat "territorial" feeling about it. You may even feel cheated or let down.

Like many of you, I am not pleased with this unwelcome turn of events and vow here and now to correct Concorso Italiano. It will be steered back to its core beginning-to a place we all enjoyed for the right reasons.

SO AFTER ALL THE TALKING IS DONE WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO?

We plan to return Concorso to a beautiful golf course on the peninsula in 2009. A classic car should always be displayed on a green lawn. The venue will be agreed upon shortly. Our goals for the provision of a wonderful dining experience at a reasonable cost and the experience you all should expect, are at the forefront of our minds.

That said, we would like to hear directly from you about your own expectations and special things you might like to see at this very special event. We want to know what you, the true enthusiasts, are thinking. Please email us at [email protected] or call (425) 742-0632. We are most serious about making Concorso Italiano the first-rate experience for you, your families, and your friends that it has been in the past. We will be listening. And we plan to make the 2009 gathering one to remember.

Very truly yours,
    Tom McDowell
    Mercer Island WA.

5. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    I just got the same letter,tell me their not on ferrarichat watching and reading every post,funny how soon as maserati puts on and shows they have a venue already in place on the grass and then with nothing to back up CI claim that they also will be on the grass,my boots are filling up with the cr*p I'm standing in

6. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    And that is the challenge the new owners have to overcome. No venue on the green. I think people are pleased that there is new ownership, but with all of the past empty promises it is hard to believe that the event will be on the grass when they don't have a location yet. Monterey is not the type of place where things happen quickly.

7. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    Just got off the phone with Kerry McMullen and there will be more coming info about the venue at black horse,later this week there will be forms that can be filled out to register your car for a spot to be on the greens,they have been working on this for almost a year now but didn't want to come out and making wishes that they'll be here or there like others are doing now,so everyone follow this website and I'll see you all there,I don't have anything to do with these people but I'm giving them my support and want them to have success on making this work...................www.montereybayconcours.com

8. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Mike

Is CI a dead issue now?

I received another e-mail but it offers little encouragement.

Are you set for the Maserati deal at Blackhorse?

9. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    #234 KKSBA, Mar 10, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
    Super! done deal! back to Blackhorse for me... Who cares if it isn't titled "Concorso Italiano"... As long as the venue is appropriate and the right cars show up...

10. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    I agree.

Sounds very interesting.

Looks like I'll be there then.

11. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
    #236 gday, Mar 10, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
    That looks bogus to me however, it did hit a real snag and that is that the land on which Pacific Grove built its "second nine" holes was donated to Pacific Grove by the Coast Guard, with deed restrictions limiting its use to a golf course only.

But the scoop is that "Laguna Seca Golf Ranch's president, confirmed Friday, "We are in negotiations with the new owners. A deal has not been struck, but we continue to talk." "

http://www.montereyherald.com/local/ci_11859975

Also note the tid bit about no spectator parking at Black Horse??

-mick

12. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    The way I read this is that the quote is past tense, maybe referring to the site while it was under renovation. One other note is the comment was made to CI not the new shows owners.

13. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
    I thought that too however, the press announcement from the new black horse venue (La Dolce Vita-Automobili) has pretty carefull words on this "We have a system in place that offers safe and secure parking for spectators that will also bring them to the main entrance in a timely fashion without aggravation".

So it sort of sounds like offsite parking to me...

-mick

14. freescopesdad

freescopesdad Karting

Jun 14, 2005
    Per Tom McDowell on 3/10/09...

Lets see, last year I paid $85 for myself and a passenger to park in the non-Italian corral at CI. This year he wants $175. Not sure where holding the line on ticket prices figures into the mix.

Ron

15. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    So what? You paid $85 to have dust blow in your face. Everyone I talked to about last year's CI said that they would not return at any price. Besides, the event is primarily for car owners. The price to enter a car is quite reasonable. If you want to spectate, there are other events that weekend.

Looks like the new event has the jump on CI, which doesn't even have a location at this time. While LDV is collecting registration fees, CI is looking for a place to call home. Can't say that I feel too sorry for CI, as mismanagement has been the norm since leaving Quail Lodge. If Mr. McDowell paid more than a nickel for CI, I expect his return on his investment will mirror mine on my 401(k) over the past year. I have not forgiven them for frying my ignition wires, idling from the freeway all the way up to the golf course in 2003. Spectator (non-corral) parking was offsite at Blackhorse, as I recall. I remember people complaining about the shortage of shuttle busses.

16. freescopesdad

freescopesdad Karting

Jun 14, 2005
    #241 freescopesdad, Mar 11, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
    And the year before that I also paid just $85 to park at Black Horse. Looks like CI is no different than our so-called elected representatives, raising taxes in the face of a recession. Not an incentive to spend.

17. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Bottom line is that it costs a lot of money to run an event, the Insurance must be massive. I always thought the pricing was in line for the entrance fee's. You get 6 -8 hours of entertainment, they allow people to bring their own food and drinks. On the flip side go to any professional sport and do the price comparison. Heck look what you are paying for a room 300-1000 dollars!! Laguna Seca's and Pebble Beach's parking is in the dirt too . Don't sweat the small stuff and enjoy the weekend.

18. freescopesdad

freescopesdad Karting

Jun 14, 2005
    You know what? You guys must be made of a heck of a lot more money than me. I just lost a half a million bucks in the last 4 months, our president wants to put us in the hole by almost 2 trillion, and you don't seem to mind an inflation rate over 100%. More power to you I guess.

19. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    ouch! $.5 million bucks,and you can still speak,I lost over $150k and I'm mad as h*ll

20. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Who is plunking down money for either event? I haven't been to Monterey week since 2004. CI sucked. The Historics are basically the same every year. That year, they left about 200 Ferraris idling at the track entrance and denied us the parade lap that many had shown up that day to enjoy. Quail and Pebble are for those who like to eat cheese and drink champagne more than they like driving their cars. My opinion of CI when it was at Quail Lodge was that it was a bunch of guys who drove their cars to the event and then drove them home. While they were there, they talked about driving them. Motel 6 charges $250 for a $50 room that week. I'm in the been there, done that category. Haven't really missed it. I'd much rather go to Virginia City in September to drive my car and get it dirty and greasy, than sit around looking at cars sitting still in August.

21. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    The more I hear of the Ford Vs. Chevy deal in Monterey the more I am thinking I'll sit this one out as well.

Had I gone last year I would have been livid with the event and the resultant weather.

If I went to Blackhorse this year and had to be bused in I'd be livid.

So I am stepping back to see the results to decide for next year!

22. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    havent spectators ALWAYS been bussed at Blackhawk?

23. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Yes but that is more of a security issues in the Blackhawk community and a requirement of their homeowners assoc.

That's not the problem at Blackhorse.

24. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    ahhh.. thats what I meant... Blackhorse...

25. targa

targa Rookie

Dec 29, 2007
    Wow ... Hold a grudge.