Feedback on Concorso Italiano `08 | FerrariChat

Feedback on Concorso Italiano `08

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by nzo4re, Aug 15, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nzo4re

nzo4re Karting

Mar 13, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Lassen
    I'm interested in what others thought about the new venue, the cars on display, etc.
    I was underwhelmed.

2. tzucc

tzucc Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2003
    likewise. There were a total of 3 Dino 246 for example... 3 years ago there were like 75. Not alot of people at all...

The nice thing was the tarmac, people were spread out alot, so it was pretty easy to get around. Entrance into the exhibitor area did not take
    too long at all... I'd say it was the poor economy perhaps clamping down on attendance?

3. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Extremely underwhelmed. The venue was horrible for this sort of event. I went with an open mind to see what they would make of it. Since I know I won't be able to make it next year, and probably not the year after that, I am glad I attended this year. That way I know that if it is held at the same place, I won't be missing anything.

Specific complaints:

Ferrari was waaaay down the far end of the parking lot. Completely isolated from anything going on.

Stage / podium waaay down the opposite end. Perhaps placing it more centrally would have helped more folks feel involved.

The airport location was supposed to bring airplanes. What were there, three?

No speakers. Even if we were two bus rides and a hitch hike from the stage, a few PA speakers scattered around so that we could at least hear what was going on would have helped.

Parking lot. We attended a swap meet in a parking lot. I have heard complaints over the last few years that Concorso was becoming too much of a flea market. Well, it has finally done it for me. One of the best parts of Concorso in years past was the social picnic aspect. I and many others loved to sit back with a picnic lunch and a bottle of wine and enjoy the scenery and the company. Not this year. When was the last time you enjoyed a nice picnic in a parking lot?

I know nothing stays the same forever, but Concorson definitely took a big turn for the worse this year. From the conversations I had, and those that I overheard, if CI is at the same location next year, they may as well not bother.

4. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Cold & windy as H

nowhere to sit & relax,

5. bzerkqirk

bzerkqirk Karting

Sep 12, 2006
    Full Name:
    Kirk
    #5 bzerkqirk, Aug 15, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
    My ramblings...

I had already bought early bird corral pass before the venue was chosen, so I didn't spend that much to CI.

Last weekend passing Marina down to Laguna Seca, I thought that it'd be a cold foggy day for CI, luckily the sun came out... until 2pm when it got too cold at the grandstand and fog already blowing in.

Entrance was a breeze at 8:30a. Short commute from SJ area than to past CI locations.

While I sat at the grandstand, I thought, gee this is far from anything. All I can see is a small fraction of cars. I too thought it would be better to have centrally located the stage. And to place the grandstand seating with the sun behind you, i rather have my back to the sun than my whole red face; it'll help with pictures too. The only time you could hear the announcements was when you're near the stage, if you're far, you have no clue what's going on.

How were the food lines? I brought food, but every time I looked back at the il Fornaio tent, the line was still long.

Yea, what happened to the planes and boats and whatever? I saw one boat next to the RV (with terrace!). I did see them tug a Navy plan that landed around 1p from the airstrip, through CI, all the way into the parking lot somewhere... the other planes that were already placed were too packed together and there was no flow/design with their placement.

Maybe relocate the grandstand, then place some planes behind it... at least you could get a good photo-op looking down.

Lot less cramped walking around.

Rows and columns of cars... wished they maybe half-circle some marquees or something, make the presentation better.

Where's the shade!?!?

I prefer the lush green golf course.... if you feel tired, just plop yourself down; find a tree for shade. Toss a blanket on the lawn and have a picnic. Can't do that on tarmac. And very few shade spots. If they do it on the tarmac again, they should pitch a large tent and put tables / chairs. Let folks picnic, rest, cool down under a tent. Don't make it VIP either!

No lawn stuck to the tires this year. And no allergies. I guess that the only plus I have :p

The MC did they announce they'd be back to Marina next year, which surprised me, did they lose Bayonet altogether?

Cars already ditching CI from 1pm... I ditched around 2:30p

-CI attendee since 2000, will hesitate attending 2009

6. robbie

robbie F1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I agree with all of the above. Plus, what is with the Aston Martins, BMW's Japanese, and assortments of others? I saw a Pacer on display for Gawd sake. It is no longer a celebration of Italian cars. And no Lambo Girls? Te Kruse auction was laughable .. who goes to an exotic car show and buys old woodies, or other assocted POS cars? I am wind burned, sun burned and my ass is sore from sitting on the tarmac. I am definitely not returning for 2009 and I hear that there is a 3 (or 5 year) contract so it will be back in Marina next year.

7. danny360

danny360 Karting

Feb 18, 2008
    Hayward
    Full Name:
    Danny
    I went to this with high hopes and I didn't hate it but it felt like it was lacking something. One thing I liked about Black Horse was the entrance. I always like seeing the exotics entering the show with a long straight away. This year there wasn't a place to hear the cars heading in the show. The entrance was a lot better. Italian cars go in one way and BMW's etc. go in one way and the rest go in another way. But other then that I thought that this could of been a lot worst. Just hope next year there will be more cars!!

8. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Wow, now I don't feel so bad about missing this year. :(

Agreed, it was fun. Also Black Horse was just a pleasant place to hang out all day -- golf course by the ocean, etc.

9. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    #9 cuneo, Aug 16, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
    WOW, I feel absolutely idiotic for not going last year, my first chance at having an F in. Now I'll probably never go, who the heck wants to drop coin to park in a cold airport parking lot? Sounds like everyone got ripped off this year, sorry to hear it.

Maybe this will provide impetus for a new California Italian-centric car event. hows abouts Italiano Califanio? heh

10. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    I agree with above. With the location on the tarmac, it felt like a REALLY expensive swap meet. Beautiful cars placed on crumbling asphalt just doesn't cut it. Lost all its prestige and glamour. I won't go back if it remains there.

11. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    I felt as though I was attending a car show like I used to go too in High School. Hot Rods and swap meets, that sort of thing. The only thing that was better than prevoius years was some aircraft mixed in, I parked right next to a Cirrus SR22, that was pretty cool. The rest, wind, cold than hot, bad auction cars, Allens Pacer, lotsa tarmac, no Lambo girls, I could have done without. I will be attending the Quail only next year.

12. tzucc

tzucc Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2003
    tis true about the Pacer... I saw that one too. They had sections for BMW, Mercedes, etc... and I thought this was a Concorso Italiano, not a Concorso Tutti ...
    For that Kruse auction they were trying to move like 50 of these souped up Mustang Hertz rental cars... did anyone notice what they went for?
    They were black with a gold racing stripe, but had a small-ish engine... I don't think they would have gone for much. The auction also started out with like 5 items
    from Reggie Jacksons 'desk'... that guy has a huge desk full of junk! Autographed sports memorabilia is such a farcical scam. Who buys that crap.

Re tarmac vs grass.. the cars do look better on a grass background, versus a gravely tarmac. Least they could do is let us use the cleaner runway.

I drove my Dino out at 2:30pm... I wasn't the first to leave either.

13. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    Absolutely awful.
    -Parking lot feeling made the show feel downmarket. This could have been salvaged if there were places to sit down in the shade. No such luck.
    -There were no rare cars. But plenty of tents/vendors with illegally copied designer sunglasses (2 for $30!).
    -There was only one tent with food, and the line was huge...We left after an hour.

The extra money is worth it for the Quail. I like to sit on the grass and eat proper food. Otherwise I can catch the Good Guys parking lot display and grab a cheese steak sandwich nearby.

14. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    my wife and I went last year,and bought the 308qv in Oct,so I really to bring the car this year and the wife had the time off but I couldn't get time off to go and after hearing about the crumy airport I decided not to go,boy I'm I glad I didn't go,being a ironworker I've might've been taken away after yelling that I've been ripped off or something like that

15. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I heard Lambo is suing them and

maybe that Lambo pulled out or left when they saw the grounds

16. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    I went with the hope that the management of CI would use this new venue in some interesting way and fix some of the past problems here is what I experienced.

I towed a vehicle intending to set it out Thursday afternoon . I emailed prior asking if this was possible and wanted to know if they had trailer parking. They said yes and I could set the car any time after 1 PM.

The drive in was very easy and there was a nice paved area to unload, however they were not ready to set cars until 3PM so we had to chill our heels for two hours!!

The staff was very nice, and we got the car set, but it was windy and very cold. I was a bit worried on the drive in because there was blowing sand across the roads, but the Concorso area didn't have the sand issue, it was nice and clean.

Entrance Friday was easy and parking was excellent

I agree that it would be nice if the stage was set in the middle of the lot, but I think it was strategically placed behind the hanger to shelter it from the wind. The ramp seemed lower which was good.

Not many planes, The Italian plane in the hanger was not impressive. It is used as a commuter plane, very boring.

Without the greens and rolling hills the event felt like a drab parking lot, no color contrast.

Windy .....dry...... hot..... then cold hmmmm just like a airport.

No interesting displays except the Iso-bizzarrini's and the Lamborghini's everything else all in a grid pattern parked in straight lines.

Could not hear anything on the PA system.

The food line was always long, because they didn't have enough cashiers. The sandwich had hardly any turkey in it!

The drink line was fast and easy

For some odd reason they didn't have cars come across the ramp till after 2:00PM, very unorganized.

Keith Martin is missed as MC

The guy who runs it was nowhere to be seen until the last 5 minutes, as usual.

Very disappointing from the standpoint that they had all the people equipment cars etc, but the event lacked any personality.

To sum it up the new venue is a great parking lot or airport, but it is not a place people want to spent any amount of time at. Our cars are special and the event grounds should be special too. I wanted it to work, but it doesn't

Once again the people working the event were very nice and helpful.

17. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    the "corral" has been around for a long time. Letting cars other than Italian mkes park "close by" but not quite in the show. This year, due to the location the deliniation between show and not show was a little blurred.

The non italian cars is nothing new.

as for the Pacer, its MINE. Its an American car just like any of the other American cars that were there. It was there to promote the 2009 Concours d'Lemons, a send up of all the concours that have become too full of themselves. Looks like tis going to hit the mark. :D

18. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    as for complaints about the weather....

ITS THE WEATHER !!!

yes it was cold and windy. So? Thats not the fault of the organizers. Guess what, its was just as cold and windy 3 miles away at the under construction golf course where the show was last year.

it will be cold and windy come Sunday morning at Pebble.

the location did indeed suck though. A blank tarmac pad does not a special location make.

I've NEVER stood in line or paid for food at concourso. Bringing in a picnic has always been part of the show for me. $90 for convention chicken? No thanks. Bring a cooler, bring a couple bottles of wine, enjoy.

19. 2DUCKS

2DUCKS Karting

Feb 20, 2006
    California
    Full Name:
    K
    Everyone's comments above seems spot on. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either.

Having the event on the greens of a golf course really makes it all the more special.

Kudos to easy access in and out of the place and the friendly volunteers and workers.

If Concorso will be held at this location for the next few years, perhaps it will get better as they try and improve the event.

One thing I did notice was less people/cars at the event than years prior. Perhaps due to the economy.

Also, a lot of people/vehicles started leaving earlier than usual.

For 2009, I'm probably going to skip this event and head to Quail instead.

20. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    Well Choptop seems to be doing well with the pacer comments, that show will be pretty cool, looking forward to it.

21. bzerkqirk

bzerkqirk Karting

Sep 12, 2006
    Full Name:
    Kirk
    I liked the Access Denied sticker.

22. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast

Your correct the weather is not the fault of the organizers, but there is the diffrence. If you are standing at Pebble or Quail and it's foggy, it's still beutiful. If your at Tahoe and it snows your in Tahoe....who cares........but when you ar standing on concrete and it's cold or windy and there is no view .....it seems much worse.

23. palmer8

palmer8 Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I don't really have anything to say but... When to tickets for The Quail go on sale? (serious question)

24. meantestarossa

meantestarossa Karting

Jul 15, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Ron McDaniel
    I thought the whole thing was horrible. I usually stay til the very end every year at Concorso Italiano. I was so dissapointed this year that I left at 11:00am.

25. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    This is bad news. If concorso is in trouble then it will be even tougher to get Quail tickets next year. It was bad enough this year when they sold out on the second day - my sense is that all 3000 Quail tickets available will be allocated before any are made available to the general public.