FCRA changes/Improvements: 2nd Race date Change | FerrariChat

FCRA changes/Improvements: 2nd Race date Change

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by johnhoughtaling, Mar 10, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    #1 johnhoughtaling, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
    FCRA members:

I am proud to announce that John Tirell, team principal of Team Pilota, and Jimmy Asciutto, Team principal of Classic Coach and FCF, and Pete team principal of Universal have all joined the board of directors of the FCRA. We also have invitations out to one or two other team principals.

As I stated previously, the object is for the FCRA to be a self governing body, and these gentlemen represent a good number of our drivers. If you'd like to nominate the a board member please contact me.

Now, after consulting with the new board, there was a near unanimous consensus that the second race at Sebring, which conflicts with the national event and the F1 race, was problematic. Although we have been having problems with the FCA, the men who are actually running the local National event are fantastic guys and we didnt want to harm their event. Therefore, in deference to them, we have decided to change the date of the second race to July 4-5 at VIR. The event will also be run in conjunction with Chin Motorsports.

We've polled a bunch of drivers and everyone we have talked to so far has been thrilled with going to VIR.

Notices will be going out to all of the drivers today.

2. Paul430c

Paul430c Karting

May 26, 2004
    Virginia
    Fantastic, John! VIR is a great venue! Thumbs up.

3. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    Its actually my new favorite track. Amazing fun for those that haven't been there, and Chin Motorsports is a great group that are excited to have us.

4. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    John
    VIR is a great track, BUT this is the third time you have changed the schedule. It was Savannah, then Sebring, and now VIR.

Just from my experience with my own car club, be consistent. The more you change the schedule, the less likely people are going show up.
    My 2 cents

5. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    #5 johnhoughtaling, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
    Greg:

Your caution is well taken. Please know there are reasons for the changes, and none of those reasons was due to a lack of organization, work or thought. I argued with the board that although this change made sense, I KNEW a post like this was coming, but the board was unanimous the improvement was worth the criticism.

The changes are my fault because I tried too hard and worked too long with everyone at the FCA and other events. I had the money two years ago to rent tracks and publish a calendar. But, I tried very very hard to cooperate with the FCA and Joe Cabaccio to schedule around traditional events that the members traditionally go to. The amount of politics, subterfuge, and spite over our success has caused me more grief, strife, fighting and bull**** that I ever could have imagined. I worked for TWO YEARS to try to get everyone on board so we could all benefit, and negotiated until the very last moment I could before giving up. I don't give up easy and I fought a little past the point of where I should have told people to pound sand.

But, it made sense to run these events at traditional yearly Ferrari events. We wanted to support the FCA national event. We received a letter from the national event organizers inviting us to participate. At the last minute after the schedule was published, politics in the FCA made running there impossible for 90% of the membership. The changes in the schedule where caused by the intentional interference by the FCA who wrote rules in part to exclude participation with the FCA.

The last change was done because the board unanimously felt it was an improvement, and it was worth any fall out.

We've done an amazing job. And even though no good deed goes unpunished, and I sometimes wonder why the hell I don't just right the check to FNA and do the factory series (with my loss of time it would be much cheaper for me), I'm reminded that this series is not about it's detractors. It's about my dear group of friends who maybe couldn't afford to do the FNA series but would like to go racing together. It's a start up series, and for those who are not in the loupe they may have doubts. Those that know me, (and thats most of the drivers), know that when I do something it happens. I under promise and I over deliver. As anyone thats ever attended the French Quarter Classic, and ask them if I deliver. Any new series is going to have growing pains. Its a maze of political bull****, and thats why its hard. But this is actually something I'm quite good at. Its easy to look up my background. I'm a national political fundraiser, national political strategist, and if you'd review my track record you'd find out I'm pretty good at start up companies.

Don't worry about the schedule change scaring off the drivers. Today we have 32 cars scheduled on the grid for the first race and we are a month away. I would not be surprised at all if we had 40 cars on that grid. We have money, organization, more insurance that the FCA and PCA and we have an amazing calendar and support.

I know you mean well Greg, and I don't mean to vent but don't worry, wait and see.

6. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Is there an online list of registered drivers? Thanks.

FWIW I think the VIR change was the right move. Run a fun, safe race series with close but clean racing and the FCRA will flourish, I think it's that simple.

Incidentally, you've got great admin help in Melissa. People like her make a series successful.

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    John, not to digress too much (which means of course I am), do you like VIR better than Laquna?

Dale