FCA SOUTH CENTRAL REGIONAL EVENT | Page 4 | FerrariChat

FCA SOUTH CENTRAL REGIONAL EVENT

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Chewys5, Jun 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    There are varying levels of jackassery....

;)

2. Sushimon355

Sushimon355 Formula Junior

May 27, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Wade
    can someone please elaborate on what exactly happened? unfortunately we had to miss the run :(

3. Chewys5

Chewys5 Formula 3
    Miami 2018 Owner

May 17, 2010
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn R
    We did not want to say it. But you are the white elephant in the room. The run was no fun without you.( all 3 ). Everyone was disappointed most people bailed because you were not there!! A very sad day!!!

4. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
    So true...

Sometimes it devolves into full-blown dumbf#ckery :D:D:D

5. Sushimon355

May 27, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Wade
    oh boy, I knew I should've worn my boots today :p

6. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    There is a rumor circulating that someone got the urge to stretch their ponies legs on a 4 lane highway coming back into town. That someone hit the gas and proceeded to pass the rest of the pack. While roaring along in the left lane at triple digit speeds, that driver happened to notice a State Trooper passing him in the other direction. A quick check of the rear view mirror confirmed that the Trooper was on his brakes diving for the median. The alleged speeder knew that a significant bust was looming. As luck would have it, there was an exit a short distance away. After some quick mental balancing of potential outcomes, the pony driver stayed on the gas to get to the exit as quickly as possible. He waved in a friendly manner to his rally mates as they passed while he was exiting. A quick left turn at the top of the exit led to a bridge that had high concrete walls on both sides. As the low Ferrari ducked behind the cover of concrete, the driver caught a glimpse of the lawman passing the exit and headed under the bridge with lights and siren going. There were entertaining backroads ahead, and after a short detour, the driver was back on the designated route. As the scofflaw parked at the lunch stop and reconnected with his rally mates, he asked "so who got the speeding ticket?" The response was "nobody, he passed us chasing YOU!"

A bullet was dodged. A good story was told.

All allegedly of course.

The other story isn't for publication.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  7. daviddallas

daviddallas Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2013
    Lucas, Tx
    Full Name:
    David Hill

Agreed, also we all loved bottoming out our ferraris and being left at the lights... I will stick with Steven groups from now on..

The JAs were the ones trying to pass everyone to get to the front..dangerous moves

8. daviddallas

Jun 10, 2013
    Lucas, Tx
    Full Name:
    David Hill
    I too was hoping for not only the results but everyones score and what determined them.

It's my first concorso.

9. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
  10. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
  11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    FYI, there are JA's are in EVERY car group I've ever done. The bigger the group the more likely the JA's. Age of drivers a factor. HP also a factor. For years our FCA group did little 20 car rallies in our 308 to 355's with very little JA's. First time we did a Boardwalk event JA's were rampant, so Steve doesn't have a magical wand against that. :) Crescent Classic was pretty JA free and also the hardest anyone ever drives, but roads and traffic could handle the freedom along with very strict driver meetings. My guess this was just a VERY large rally with a bunch of new people.

How in-depth and strict was the drivers meeting?

12. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
  13. Chewys5

Chewys5 Formula 3
    Miami 2018 Owner

May 17, 2010
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn R
    Since we had so many cars we had three rallies. This was for a few reasons. Don R, Steve F, and Chris W. all lead their own routes.

1. Eliminate the people in the back being pulled over.

2. Stagger the line at lunch so it was not out the door.

3. Two of the routes were on the San Antionio, Houston and DFW Apps.

14. daviddallas

Jun 10, 2013
    Lucas, Tx
    Full Name:
    David Hill
    I just know that every rally that I have done with Steve as the leader, I didn't have issues like we had in the scenic rally. So maybe I have just been lucky to be in the few non JAs rallies with Steve :) Also Steve will pull over and wait for people that get caught by the lights, our group was separated within 10 minutes of leaving. But that is just how different leaders lead...

15. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    DING DING DING! We have a winner! :)

I've done LOTS of these runs over the last 14 years, and can honestly count on one hand the number of 'bad' things that have happened. I typically try to run in a group of people that I know, and I pretty much always have a great time. There are a lot of drivers around here that I trust completely and I think I've run at speed with most of the the locals. I have great stories of Nicola, Jano, Wade, Vivek, and even Steve at BW. This one was an exception, not surprising given the regional nature of the event. It was still a great time.

16. Sushimon355

May 27, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Wade
    oooohhhh la la, sounds juicy!

I sincerely hope I've never been considered a "JA" on any of these runs. I try to have fun but with safety and respect as the overriding consideration. I never cross double yellow lines, never make an unsafe pass, and ALWAYS slow down going through the small towns.

I try not to follow TOO closely but there was that one time I was behind Steve and we hit a gravel spot unexpectedly...a little puckered up for a sec but no biggie.

now let the airing of grievances begin! :)

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    partly my fault, but let's not take away from this great event with the rally talk.

you can still have a ton of safe fast fun on road rally's without endangering yourself or others. if you are passing on solid lines, shoulders, or pedestrian car traffic has to get off the road so there are no head on's then there is certain JA's involved and shouldn't be allowed.

Boardwalk, FCA, PCA, and many other groups offer track events where these cars can be driven harder than on public roads. You can also pick up some additional driver skills with instructors while also getting some things out of your system that shouldn't come out of your system on public rallies.

18. Sushimon355

May 27, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Wade
    aaawwww, thanks Jimbo! I do enjoy the runs a lot...we've had some fantastic ones over the years. I do wonder about your definition of "great stories"...perhaps not for public consumption ;)

19. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    If your car, or anyone else's car that is interested, was in vintage V8 get in touch. I was part of that judge group.

Jeff

20. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Jeff, thank you for posting.

We have been asking for client and members for this informaiton .

How may they get their results?

S

21. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I believe that Leslie Blinn ended up with the sheets to compile. As for any cars in my Vintage V8 class, I made no notes beyond the point deductions. So, anyone that wants to understand what I looked for and used as the thought process it is best they reach me.

For more generalized discussion on what the instructions for all the judges I am able to give an over view of our criteria. Items like:

1. We only worked with full point deductions - no half points. This did hurt some cars as they were less than perfect but really did not deserve a full point deduction.

2. Mileage was a criteria. The more mileage the better as we ultimately solved some awards based upon mileage in relation to "use appropriate". Put another way a brand new car that had zero mileage was going to be at a disadvantage to a higher mileage car that was in great shape.

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    great to hear! is the Ferrari judging group starting to do that more nationally?

23. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Woo hoo! :) Higher mileage!

24. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    There are Preservation Awards.

It is always unfair to judge a restored car against an unrestored car. There is just no way to get around that. It is also seemingly impossible to make a 50,000 mile car that has really been used look the same against a time capsule garage queen.

There is an attempt to be condition appropriate for mileage/usage. That is a tough and fairly inexact standard.

There are things that are not to be deducted for up to a point.

These considerations are part of why Platino is for all cars above a certain point score. This allows for some deductions without missing the point of the being outstanding.

The best way to start further understanding the judging criteria is to go to: Judging Standards/IACPFA

Do not forget the 2016 Annual Meet in Columbus, Ohio June 18-22. There the real IAC/PFA judging standards using only accredited judges will happen.

Jeff

25. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Where do cars fit-in that's been restored recently, but <GASP!!!!> driven?

I'm not restoring mine for points, but for my own enjoyment, and especially, to use, so I'm just curious.