FCA should bring back the Fiat Dino...Change My Mind | FerrariChat

FCA should bring back the Fiat Dino...Change My Mind

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by 19633500GT, Apr 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Ferrari likely won't bring back a 206/246 iteration as an "entry level" sub $150K car.

But, what if Fiat could bring back the Dino?

I envision a great coupe, V6 (maybe induction) 2x the price of the Abarth decked out, manual gearbox option, paddle option.

I'd love to commute in something like this. And it would remain a "baby" Ferrari to me.

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    FCA brought out the Alfa 4C (which mostly matches your description except for the V6 / manual trans), and people generally did not like the infotainment and lack of power steering even though the performance is very engaging. I have always been a manual transmission proponent, but the DCT in the Alfa suits it very well, and I don't think the car would be improved with a manual shifter. If they reintroducd it badged as a Dino it would probably sell at an even worse pace, because most of the real buyers already have the 4C. There are rumors of a new Maserati that will have the V6 and meet your description. Priced about $150k. I don't see many buyers for it.

Texas Forever and 19633500GT like this.
  3. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I think if they could build it in the sub 75K range, and really make it a drivers car (think Elise/Exige) it could work with a manual.

Obviously PDK/DCT etc etc auto blip works fast, but take the Giulia for example, I would hold out and find a QF, but there's no stick. I'm 34. I don't want to paddle shift, and having owned several Dino's (Fiats) I enjoy them for more of the Fiat they are, than Ferrari. A hot little coupe, with a stick, and a screaming 6.

You are right though, it will likely never happen. That 150K Maser sounds like a joke considering what depreciation is on any of their cars. Drive 100 miles, lose 10K dollars...:rolleyes:

Isobel, Texas Forever and BT like this.
  4. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Everyone's just gonna complain about the platform-sharing which ironically is the only way they'd be able to bring back that kind of niche market car, especially in a post Coronavirus world.

I would love to see it. It's also a bad business decision, IMO.

Boomhauer and 19633500GT like this.
  5. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Also, V6 is now a "big" engine. Forget it. Only way it'd work would be a 4, for the right price. Actually it would be quite cool to see a V4 again....Lancia Fulvia......but who are we kidding, right?

Isobel likes this.
  6. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Agree, but skip the FWD lol

It is a bad business decision, I am selfish though :)

BT likes this.
  7. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    This is completely correct.

There were/are few buyers for the 4c. I think the number of buyers for the V6 Maserati-badged version will be even less. Unfortunately Ferrari will not make a car for a market that doesn't actually exist in reality....no matter how much enthusiasts want it.

I would be interested in the V6 Maserati version, but not at that price.

8. Aaya

Aaya F1 Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wu Tsai
    I feel that there is a pent up demand for a light, gated shifting, italian car. The 4c is neat, but if it had a naturally aspirated engine and a gated transmission it would be so much more loved. I've heard alfa enthusiasts claim that the FI Engine with flappy paddles was the right choice, but the secondary market for alfa's is now 40kish and heading to the 30's

9. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I hear what you are saying, but there will not be what you are asking for because there is not enough of a market for it. The price on the Alfa 4C is osmewhat driven by the current government mandated economic disaster. You can see that the Lotus elise market has been holding steady at $30-40k for a decade, and now many cars available at $24-27k. Same thing, on a lower price scale. I paid $47k for a 4C that I could find basically the same car today for $38k. It is what it is. I see the Ferrari market dipping as well, that does not make them inferior cars.