FCA Kansas City Breakfast Meetings | FerrariChat

FCA Kansas City Breakfast Meetings

Discussion in 'Midwest - USA (NE, KS, OK, MO, AR)' started by cmparrenzo, Jul 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    Well we FINALLY have a new home for our Breakfast meetings...

...after a TERRIBLE experience at the Holiday Inn, we have moved to the new Sheraton Hotel in Overland Park, KS on College Blvd. just east of Metcalf.

All Ferrari owners and lovers are welcome to attend, we meet at 8:30AM on the first Saturday of every month...

Chris

2. Kleos1

Kleos1 Karting

Feb 1, 2004
    Urbandale Iowa
    Full Name:
    Garry Haas
    We were unable to make it down there this week; so what happened

3. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    Well the service was non-existent, the food was terrible, it was time for an upgrade!

The new Sheraton is beautiful, they actually have a chef, and we have our own meeting area as opposed to sitting in the bar....

It is a MAJOR improvement, we look forward to seeing you there!

Chris

4. Roland E Linder

Roland E Linder Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Roland E Linder
    Hello Chris,
    I hope that you'll be able to join us at PPIR on August 28th. It's again a Leslie event like you attended a fews years back..Keep me posted if you cam make it afterMonterey.
    I'll be with the LM at Gateway on October 7/8/9th for the track evnt organized by the Porsche club. maybe we could ride together at that one before going to New Orleans..
    The best to you and Dana.
    Take care
    Roland
    F40LM

5. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Well I wish I could say I'd be there but we're moving that first weekend in August. I finally found a house here with a big yard and 3-car garage. Now I just need to sell mine!

What was your friend’s name that worked at the dealer in Springfield? I need to get a hold of him. He had a transporter he used to ship cars that he liked and I need to get mine down to Houston.

I'll keep in touch and my family is still in KC so we'll be back. Thanks again for giving Matthew a ride. He loved it. You scared Eric though when you started that "obnoxious" car of yours. He jumped about 3-feet and he said "I don't want to go for a ride" with his hands over his ears.

Sean F
    my new work e-mail is
    [email protected]

6. mchferrari

mchferrari Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    Full Name:
    Matthew Holderbach
    Would the KC Ferrari club ever consider coming to Heartland Park Topeka to do an event/track day/show/meeting?

www.hpt.com

7. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Intriging proposal......
    I m interested in hearing other's feedback.
    Chris- Your thoughts?

8. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    We have considered this before, Heartland can be a very unforgiving track and with the wide range of skill levels in the club it would need to be a very structured event.

FCA would require that we purchase insurance and I am sure the track would require it as well.

The track rental is not cheap and I have yet to hear any positive about the new ownership.

Mid America Motorplex outside of Omaha is a much friendlier track and they have open track days that are much cheaper.

Never say never, I like Heartland so maybe we should explore that again....

Chris

9. mchferrari

Jun 6, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    Full Name:
    Matthew Holderbach
    The SCCA has their new headquarters about a mile or two up the boulevard from Heartland Park. That would be a cool location for a car show or something like that, and possibly take a tour, if they do that.

10. mdaj

mdaj Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2004
    KC,MO
    Full Name:
    Mark W.
    Have the above posting been discussed any further? :D I would love to see you all in action on the track.

11. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    no, it would be next year at the earliest, but doubtful

12. Tom Larkins

Tom Larkins Formula Junior

Heartland Park from what I understand has had some rehab work done to the track so it may be in better shape according to some SCCA guys I know. My intention is to run a DE late this summer or fall depending on scheduling so I can give it a look. HP would be well advised to put a good hand forward and extend some $ consideration in getting the FCA into that place. I don't belong to the PC, however I would think they would welcome a chance to run with you F-guys together which would be more cost effective. In addition, HPT needs more guys to be familar w/that place if they want to take a shot at the run-offs and find the money to make the track improvements so that can happen.

13. mchferrari

Jun 6, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    Full Name:
    Matthew Holderbach
    They have been working on it and improving it since the new owner took over. They used to have it so the front stretch of the road course was actually the quarter mile drag strip. This was not good. It has now been changed so they do not have to run on the strip. They are also trying to get $5 million dollars for additional improvements, this however is still pending.
    Would love to see the Ferrari guys out there with the Porsche club.

I have attached an image of the track. The black line is where the new front straight is.

14. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    The new front straight is a concrete canyon and a SCCA school driver in a Porsche died last year bouncing between the walls. The new left/right section goes up over a hill and is blind as you approach a VERY fast section of the track.

Other than that HPT is relatively safe...then again, I did more damage to my FF2000 car than anywhere else!

15. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    Hi Sean, yes, this is not a forgiving track. Roland Linder ended up in the hospital and then in rehab for months after a wreck at Heartland...

I think Omaha is a better deal for us...

16. Kleos1

Kleos1 Karting

Feb 1, 2004
    Urbandale Iowa
    Full Name:
    Garry Haas
    #16 Kleos1, Aug 8, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. Kleos1

Kleos1 Karting

Feb 1, 2004
    Urbandale Iowa
    Full Name:
    Garry Haas
  18. mchferrari

Jun 6, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    Full Name:
    Matthew Holderbach
    Very nice. Where was this?

19. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    Overland Park at the Sheraton Hotel, we do this the 1st Saturday of every month at 8:30AM.

20. Dr C

Dr C Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2002
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Chris:
    Nice pic. Thanks.

21. Tom Larkins

Tom Larkins Formula Junior

Sean,

The only fast left/right section of the track that is as you describe was the section after you went over the tunnel, however I have only run that track in its longest version many years ago.

Where is this new section you describe or what turn # are they calling it now? I'll go the HPT site and locate it myself. Didn't know about the Porsche guy, was he wearing a HANS?

22. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    I do not believe he was wearing a HANS. I understand he died almost immediatley.

23. mchferrari

Jun 6, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    Full Name:
    Matthew Holderbach
    He died in the University of Kansas Hospital's Burn unit.

24. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    The front straight has been changed. Now instead of turning onto the drag strip, you turn into the old pit lane, which has be bisected (1/2 is still pit lane, other 1/2 is the front straight). The old pit lane used to end by either going onto the track (to the right) or going left to where impound was (for SCCA events). When you went left towards impound, you went up a hill. The new front straight kindo goes up this hill to the left, then back right and rejoins the old front straight before turn 1 (the really sharp right hander). It's not a hard turn, more of an "S" turn, but it is very fast and somewhat blind b/c of all the concrete.

The web site does not show any pictures of the new configuration. I don't know why not.

25. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    Thank you, these stories take on a life of thier own.... I hate that this happened..