FCA-DFW 9th Annual Toy Run | Page 5 | FerrariChat

FCA-DFW 9th Annual Toy Run

Discussion in 'Texas' started by WDR328, Nov 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WDR328

WDR328 Formula 3

Dec 11, 2003
    The Bugscuffle Inn
    Full Name:
    D. Rose
    NOTE TO ALL ATTENDEES
    With all of the time I have in this as well as other people's time this is a RAIN OR SHINE event.
    I went up on the route this afternoon and looked at the two problematic bridges and they were still frozen, 6" ice ruts on both sides. So I went to an alternative route and found the same thing on two smaller bridges there. So being the road meister that I am I found another alternative to the first route. So I have completed the original map to reflect the new route. Nothing like a little bad weather to keep you on your feet. It is too bad because the first route was pretty cool. I suspect we will use it on a later run.
    Here is the updated list:

Shawn R. +2
    Chris W. +1
    Jim E.--3 cars
    Licht
    Charles C. +1
    Maximum 810 +1
    James W.
    Bob P--5 cars +5
    Dbling +1
    Don R. +1
    Buzzpics +1
    Arya--?
    BB8x +1
    Jeff W.
    Westrock +1
    Mark +1
    Steve F. +1
    Alecia +2
    Earl +1
    Bospice+1
    Richard S.--9 cars + 5
    Keith H +1
    Marci H.+1
    Tillman--2 cars +2
    Greg 512Tr +1
    Vivek G. +1
    ICCS--5 cars +2
    Carey C. +1
    Thomas +1
    Brett M. +2
    Nicola--2 cars +2
    Jim M. +1
    Will H. +1
    Chris s.
    Jeff B +1
    Jason R +1
    Charlie N.
    Mathew M. +1
    Michael +1
    Don P. +1
    Tin Lizzie Affair--3 cars +1
    Kelly +1
    DonRinconi +1
    Lambo Dallas 1 car +1
    Walt O.--3 cars
    John D.
    Adam F.+1
    Brannon M. +2
    Big Boys Toys DFW
    This is now 73 cars and 129 people. It is now 7:30 PM on Friday I will print 85 maps. If you want to run as a group you need to get your groups organized in the parking lot. The LEAD CAR MUST HAVE A NAVIGATOR with map. No lead cars can be solo. The route is pretty simple but you can't be driving the car and trying to read the map--that is the navigator's job!
    If you wish to make a cash/check donation to the event I will have an envelope. If you wish to make the check out in advance please make it to the Collin County Children's Advocate.
    It will be a fun day and you guys will enjoy the end place and the restaurant.
    See you all in the Morning, dress appropriately.

2. TX907

TX907 Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2005
    Keller, TX
    Full Name:
    Garrick
    No speedos?

3. Rennsport

Rennsport Karting

Nov 24, 2009
    D/FW(LAKEWOOD)
    Full Name:
    RICHARD SCHALIJ
    #103 Rennsport, Dec 13, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
    I'd say we have more than 5 :) people, oh yeah for the restaurant, something like that, wish whole BMW group would join for lunch.

I for one won't be in speedos, lol.

If anybody needs a navigator I may be able to bring one extra person - would have to know tonight. He refuses to bring his Honda for the run.

4. Arya

Arya Rookie

Dec 21, 2011
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Arya
    Unfortunately I won't be able to make it. Have fun everyone.

5. Rennsport

Rennsport Karting

Nov 24, 2009
    D/FW(LAKEWOOD)
    Full Name:
    RICHARD SCHALIJ
    Good morning !!!!!

See you all soon ! I'n in the Jet blk/tan '11 335i sedan(E90)with aspirational(have not been on the ring YET DARN IT!!!) Nürburgring decal :)

I'd like to be close enough to some exotics to be able to hear them during the run, my car can keep up fairly well. We have a BMW group of about 10 bimmers :)

6. TX907

TX907 Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2005
    Keller, TX
    Full Name:
    Garrick
    Forecast shows clear for Frisco!

7. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Seriously considering bringing the daily driver.

8. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #108 GrigioGuy, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. Tire Fryer

Tire Fryer Karting

Feb 18, 2013
    Farmers Branch, TX
    Full Name:
    Christopher Williams
    Sorry to miss this as I had been looking forward to it, but I was called into work this morning.

Everyone have fun!

10. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    #110 DIGMAN52, Dec 14, 2013
    Another great year for Carolyn and Don's Toy Run ! Weather didn't dampen any spirits,
    and the variety of cars to look at was so cool.

Thank you guys for the many years of putting on this special event ! I know we don't have a clue to the amount of hours you guys pour into this, and all the Ferrariclub events, and I want to thank both of you for your service and friendship !

We will be starting a new chapter, with the club president being announced at lunch,
    and I hope we will all continue the great tradition the Rose's have built up.

Sorry I was on a short leash today, and unable to make the drive, so here are the early pics of the event.

I did get Mark off his duff, and he is following James in an '09 ZR1. A very mean machine !

Merry Christmas to all !
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #111 GrigioGuy, Dec 14, 2013
  12. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Great event - my navigator offers no excuses...He got us lost and Carney had to use his phone GPS to find our way to the end point.

Carney says this is the first Toy Run he has ever been on in which he followed the speed limits (he was following me in the Rolls-Royce, but that he DID get 25 mpg!

Thanks Don - as Phil said - sometimes we forget what an enormous task it is to organize one of these.

13. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    #113 jimpo1, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
    Another great run and a first for me: I didn't take the Ferrari! It was a game day decision that I regretted as we mingled at Fuzzy's, but I was glad on the long drive home. It was fortunate that the DD didn't seem to have any trouble keeping up, though Derrick probably wasn't pushing from behind as hard as he could've.

A few memorable moments:

-While running up the Tollway, Derrick came around on my left while his copilot snapped pictures, and when I glanced right, Nicola shot by me like I was parked. I was doing 105. Allegedly. ;)
    -I learned that when I turn off the electronic stability control and stand on the gas, my car will get sideways quite nicely, thank you very much. :D
    -Where the heck was Kimson and why was he always so far behind? Not his usual style. Derrick had his GoPro on the roof facing backwards and there was never anybody behind him! :)
    -Shawn got behind Steve in the FF and couldn't pass in his 430. Poor underpowered 430. :rolleyes: Lucky Steve had the car of the day for this event. Power, comfort and style.
    -We learned that Alicia got behind some Italian exotics that weren't driving as aggressively as she felt they should be, so she passed them. In her Crew Cab F 150. I knew I liked her. ;)

Thank you Don and Carolyn for your tireless efforts putting this together every year. I'm proud to have attended 8 of the 9 events.

14. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Glad to see that the queen mum joined you? Yellow suits her.

15. WDR328

WDR328 Formula 3

Dec 11, 2003
    The Bugscuffle Inn
    Full Name:
    D. Rose
    #115 WDR328, Dec 14, 2013
    I want to thank everyone who braved the inclement weather. It wasn't too bad at Fuzzy's but boy was that wind cold in Gainesville. The car count was 59 registered vehicles and 94 people,l so I have some scrap paper if anyone needs it. When we left Chilis the sun was out the wind had died down and it was getting warmer. If it had been like that at 8:00AM we would have had a much better turn out.
    In any event you Guys and Gals are the best!!!!!!! I did not hear of any stories,so the local constabulary's coffers are as full as when we started. I cannot believe that as many people got lost as I heard. I thought that was the easiest route Carolyn and I had ever developed. Although I will admit discussion of Medicare benefits will make you oblivious to lots of things in life--esp. when driving a Rolls.
    I want to thank a few people before we sign off this thread for this year. First; I want to thank all of the hearty souls of the Dallas Fort Worth area who participated and gave their time to help some less fortunate kiddos---a huge thumbs up to you!!! Second, I want to thank Jeffery Stevens and Battalion Chief Lee of the Gainesville FD for bringing the brand new truck out for our collection and working with the distribution of the toys to the appropriate places. Third, Bob Smith of Bob Smith Coachworks for hosting our toy drop and really helping me put this thing together. He was a huge help and a very gracious host--thanks a million Bob! A couple of my pics and to all of you a very Merry Christmas and may God bless you and your families in this special season!

16. Ffinally

Ffinally Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Another fantastic drive as a result of a lot of work by Don and Carolyn. Thanks for this run and the many other great events you have produced over the years. You're the best!

Charles

17. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Excellent event all, I'm glad once again this was a success. Huge thanks to Don and Carolyn Rose for putting so much time into this event.

BTW, we weren't too far from Gordonville, from what I understand some retired F1 driver & this wife own a horse ranch there, not all that sure if we could have just stopped on by though for a quick visit.

;)

18. TX907

TX907 Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2005
    Keller, TX
    Full Name:
    Garrick
    Another fun run! Thanks for putting this together. Great collection of toys for what could have been a slow day due to the weather.

Special recognition for bringing out the 365 as the iffy weather vehicle. :)

Nice to see the 2 old bimmers and Kevin's Alfa out as well.

19. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Don: Two points -

First, the Rolls-Royce is always referred to by both the names. Calling it a "Rolls" is an assignation.

Second, many Rolls-Royce owners are indeed lulled to sleep and sometimes drift over to discussions of late life benefit packages rather than keeping their eyes on the road. Fortunately, we had a ZR1 Corvette owner keeping us on our toes.

Nonetheless, I have informed my esteemed navigator that he will remain in Toy Run History as the highest example of getting off-topic and getting lost.

It was the high point of our day.

GREAT RUN EVERYBODY!!!

20. kemist

kemist Rookie

Dec 5, 2009
    Arlington, TX
    Full Name:
    Bob Pearce
    The Elves were very good this year to all the good little boys & girls. BIG THANKS to Don & Carol for inviting the SSR Fanatics to such a great & meaning Christmas event. As always the cruise was perfect!!!! - MERRY CHRISTMAS to all.

21. buzzpics

buzzpics Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2013
    Frisco Tx
    Great run! I regret that I had to go into work today, but hopefully I'll be around for many more to come. Definitely some beautiful cars, I wish I had taken pictures of all the points and waves we got running around the little towns.

Although, now that the fun is over, I have to clean the car. I'm dreading that part.

22. Rennsport

Rennsport Karting

Nov 24, 2009
    D/FW(LAKEWOOD)
    Full Name:
    RICHARD SCHALIJ
    Fantastic run !! Thank you !!

23. Chewys5

Chewys5 Formula 3
    Miami 2018 Owner

May 17, 2010
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn R
    Great job Don & Carolyn!! There were some fun roads in there.

24. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Thank you Don & Carolyn , fantastic route, supporting anexcellent cause, and more!

Looking forward to 2014 already,

S

25. 98R648

98R648 Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2004
    Full Name:
    Nicola Cappelletti
    Thank you Don and Carolyn for organizing another great toy run!!! We had a blast!