FCA at VIR 3/19-20! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

FCA at VIR 3/19-20!

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by marcmc8867, Jan 22, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. White Knight

White Knight Formula 3

Aug 22, 2011
    Ogden, UT
    Full Name:
    Todd S.
    I figured as much. :)

2. Europeanroadandracing

Europeanroadandracing South Carolina
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    It was a great day. The rain left and the rest of the day was gorgeous. My students progressed beautifully and went to bed much better than when they woke up this morning.
    The 458 is an amazing car.

Karl

3. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
  4. White Knight

White Knight Formula 3

Aug 22, 2011
    Ogden, UT
    Full Name:
    Todd S.
    #54 White Knight, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
    I saw that video your son took (you in the X5). Good stuff!

5. kmartin

kmartin Karting

Dec 27, 2009
    No.Va
    I want just to say I enjoyed my time at VIR immensely.Great track. Smiling inside my helmet! Being from another region, everyone was so welcoming. I came alone but was rarely alone once I arrived. Look forward to more of the brotherhood.
    keith

6. fchip

fchip Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Chip G
    I'm sitting on a plane going a lot faster than you guys are but I am missing all the fun. I will do my best to make the next track days. Be safe and let's see some photos.

Chip

7. Europeanroadandracing

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    Todd I had a blast. So did my son. Yeah, the X5 got a lot of attention. Not bad for a 138k mile grocery getter.
    My student threw me the keys to his 458 before lunch and told me to show my son a good time. I took that as an order, lol.

Karl

8. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
  9. resnow

resnow Formula Junior

May 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bob Snow
    #59 resnow, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  10. Europeanroadandracing

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    Pics are looking good. Looking forward to Tuesday' s batch.

Karl

11. cgh1

cgh1 Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Chuck Hawks
    It was a great day today! The weather was perfect and the track just the same. Working with Frank, Daniel, and Louis was great and they made significant progress throughout the day.

Thanks again for allowing me to drive your fantastic cars and work with you from the right seat all day!

I'm looking forward to seeing those pictures too! I never have time to take photos...

Cheers,
    C

Chuck Hawks,
    Pro-Driver Coach, Instructor & Facilitator
    rEvolution Performance

12. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Will have some nice on-board to post soon! Hats off to Marc, Tom, Hank, Woody and the whole crew at VIR for a great event.

My congratulations to lencap for furthering his dream by successfully beginning to safely and effectively explore the performance capabilities of his beautiful car! Anytime a driver can cut fourteen seconds a lap off the first day and continue with finding another five seconds a lap the second, you know he's really working well! He never put a foot wrong and we never sampled the rich Virginia soil that surrounds the pavement, either. ;) Our number one goal, SAFETY, along with consistent improvement was met and exceeded!

The test on David C's 458 Italia with the new generation of video and data equipment from Italian firm AiM Sportline was nothing short of amazing! Y'all will see in the video coming up.

A pleasure to see Karl (and that wicked fast X5), Chuck, Oscar and Grover, who all graciously instructed their fellow enthusiasts, but my favorite on-track view was Gordon Edwards 250 GT Coupe, aptly and with tongue-in-cheek plated "TDF-Parts," flying around with all four tires not as wide as one front on an F430C! That and to see and hear Tom's marvelous (and the only one to emerge from the factory) 288 GTO comp on track was terrific! I still love the "old" cars. Can't wait to do it again!

13. White Knight

White Knight Formula 3

Aug 22, 2011
    Ogden, UT
    Full Name:
    Todd S.
    Lots of great pics here. :)

14. Photog

Photog Formula 3

Sep 24, 2009
    Kansas City, Mo
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I had an amazing time on Tuesday. Big thank you to Charlie and Andy for allowing me a ride in their 355 and 360 Challenge Race cars. I don't think I will ever go that fast on a straight in my life! As well as Howard in his Lamborghini Gallardo. All the cars we got some GREAT GoProHD2 footage. I took my car on the track and that was blast. The FCA and VIR did a great job on this event. I did enjoy Tom's GTO shooting flames at every corner, Howards in car footage shows that very well. I cannot wait till the Tuesday photos come out :)

15. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Sorry I missed you, Matt!

First video here: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po4yoytAdDg[/ame]

16. Photog

Photog Formula 3

Sep 24, 2009
    Kansas City, Mo
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Pete I looked for you and coud not locate you. Video looks great!

17. Europeanroadandracing

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    That's great Peter. Is this the same system my student had in his car? I think Joe had 2 cameras. One at the windshield and one behind the driver.

Karl

18. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    #68 ProCoach, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
    Karl, the system your driver borrowed from a friend to use is the same system I used with my private client, the Racelogic Video VBOX Lite, of which I'm also a dealer.

Biggest data difference is that the VBOX just shows RPM and engaged gear. The AiM Solo DL and SmartyCam log 42 channels of car info from the 458!?!?!

Both are great tools and both cost the same.

The Video VBOX Lite really good because you use the second camera to watch the driver's head, hands and legs while the main camera faces forward and films the edges of the car in relation to the edge of the track. Were you able to review the information with him to help? Dude definitely needs to be moved up to Green and out of riding over the Yellow folks! :D

I'll post a video of some of our laps to show the two camera Video VBOX system. Pretty cool!

19. Europeanroadandracing

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    No Peter, I was not able to. They stayed in a hotel in Greensboro and I stayed at the track.
    I had 2 students in the same car. Joe owned the car and Marcus was his brother in law. they both made huge progress. I know laptimes are discouraged in these events but they timed each other anyway. By tuesday I had them 1 sec. apart of each other. 2:25 and 2:26.
    They are going to email me footage as they download it. Especially the few laps I spent driving the car, I am looking forward to.

Karl

20. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    #70 ProCoach, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
    Tell them to e-mail you the .vbo file with your run on it, too! It's small and I'd like to see it.

Here's our VBOX Lite footage. We were going easy and didn't go quite that quick, but that wasn't our goal.

We made huge progress and introduced another great enthusiast to the sport of on-track driving, safely.

http://youtu.be/xcx2vy7-sGY

21. resnow

resnow Formula Junior

May 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bob Snow
  22. stradleboy

stradleboy Formula Junior

May 14, 2006
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Bennett
    Awesome shot of me in my S2000 crossing the line, I will be getting that from you for sure.

23. Photog

Photog Formula 3

Sep 24, 2009
    Kansas City, Mo
    Full Name:
    Matt
  24. White Knight

White Knight Formula 3

Aug 22, 2011
    Ogden, UT
    Full Name:
    Todd S.
    More great shots of the event. Wow.

25. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

#75 NbyNW, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'd also like to thank Marc, Tom, Hank, Woody, and everyone at VIR for a great event. We had a great time. Tons of track time and enjoying friends. Here are a few pictures my wife took. Nothing fancy like video yet - my GoPro arrived Saturday morning and I didn't have time to get it installed, plus I forgot the memory card. And being on track with the 288 GTO was awesome!

These are during the event and after we got home and got it cleaned up this morning.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login