FCA at VIR 3/19-20! | FerrariChat

FCA at VIR 3/19-20!

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by marcmc8867, Jan 22, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. marcmc8867

marcmc8867 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    Fellow Fchatters,

I'm pleased to announce that FCA is returning to VIR!

On behalf of the Southeast Region of the Ferrari Club of America I’d like to invite you to join us March 19th and 2th for two days of unparalleled track time and hospitality at one of America’s finest motorsports facilities, Virginia International Raceway!

We are fortunate to have VIR’s famed Full Course at our disposal and promise to provide you a fantastic time to get a little closer with your Ferrari in its natural habitat, the track! For more info, please visit www.virclub.com

As most of you know, we have not been to VIR since 2010 and are thrilled to have this opportunity to come back. Hosting an event at one of the country’s foremost venues is no small financial undertaking and thanks to our Premier Event Sponsor Foreign Cars Italia and sponsors Ricambi America and Apex Vintage, we are able to make it happen for you this year. These sponsors have been tremendously supportive of the club and we are extremely appreciative for the role they play in this club!

Event Schedule (subject to change)

Sunday, March 18
    o Check-in (after 3pm)
    o Drinks and dinner at the Oak Tree Tavern (on-site) at your convenience and expense

Monday, March 19
    o 7am: Tech Opens at Tech Shed
    o 8am: Drivers Meeting
    o 8:30am: First run group on track
    o Lunch: At your convenience, concession stand will be open in paddock
    o 5pm: Last session ends
    o 6pm: Cocktails and Dinner at The Barn (on-site)

Tuesday, March 20
    o 8am: Drivers Meeting
    o 8:30am: First run group on track
    o Lunch: At your convenience, concession stand will be open in paddock
    o 5pm: Last session ends

Open to:
    o FCA Members from any Region, driving any car
    o Non-FCA Members bringing a Ferrari

Accommodations:
    • On site at VIR: Call (434)-822-7700, ext. 101 or book online at www.experiencevir.com

o Guest Rooms: $99/night
    o Paddock Rooms: $99/night
    o Villas at South Bend, Upper Studio: $175/night
    o Villas at South Bend, Lower Jr. Suite: $130/night
    o Villas at South Bend, complete unit: $305/night

• Off-site: Chain Hotels in Danville, VA
    • Garages: $100/day

***Helmets: Please note that your helmet MUST be rated Snell- or SA- 2005 or Snell- or SA-2010. If your helmet is rated 2000 (as in the year), it expired at the end of 2010 and you must obtain a newer helmet. If the historical pattern continues, the newer helmet will be acceptable for many years forward, i.e. a 2005 should be good thru 2015 and a 2010 should be good thru 2020. This requirement for updated helmets is standard for all car clubs due to insurance requirements. Also note that no motorcycle helmets are permitted. These helmet requirements will be strictly adhered to upon on-site tech inspection.

1) $525/driver if you register by March 5, $595 if you register after March 5. Co-driver registration is $200 before 3/5 and $250 after.
    o Paypal your payment to [email protected] or…
    o Mail your check to: FCA-Southeast
    c/o Tom Williamson
    201 Chapel Hill Rd.
    Burlington, NC 27215

o Extra Monday Night Dinner Tickets (w/cocktails): $60/ticket

2) Email us at [email protected] to have registration form sent to you

3) Technical Inspection Forms to be completed by your qualified Ferrari tech will be provided by email upon receipt of your registration for the event.

*Please email us at [email protected] to let us know that your registration is en route.

About our Sponsors…

Premier Event Sponsor, Foreign Cars Italia: With locations in Greensboro, and Charlotte, Foreign Cars Italia is an authorized Ferrari-Maserati-Porsche-Aston Martin dealer¬ship and, with a territory covering the Carolinas and be¬yond, is the only authorized Ferrari dealer between Washington, DC and Atlanta. Since 1977, Foreign Cars Italia has been a supporter of the FCA and offers enthusiasts an expansive new and used exotic car inven¬tory as well full factory-authorized service facilities.
    336-294-0200 - www.foreigncarsitalia.com
    Event Sponsor, Ricambi America: Located in Winston-Salem, Ricambi America is your source for Ferrari, Maserati, & Lamborghini factory-authorized original and aftermarket parts solutions to known maladies for all models. Owned by passionate Ferrari enthusiast and FCA member Daniel Pass, Ricambi has been a longtime supporter of FCA and is a very active part of our club and its events.
    336-499-2500 – www.ricambiamerica.com

Event Sponsor, Apex Vintage: Located in Raleigh, Apex Vintage specializes in the service, repair, and upgrade of Ferraris, Maseratis, and Alfa Romeos as well as vintage race car restoration and preparation. Apex boasts state of the art diagnostic equipment and Ferrari factory-trained technicians with decades of experi¬ence with modern and vintage Ferraris alike and is owned by Cecil Boyd, Italian car en¬thusiast, vintage racer, and FCA member. The team at Apex is passionate about Ferraris and seeks to assist in the preserva¬tion and en¬joyment of yours.
    919-781-1871 - www.apexvintage.com

2. DCNSX

DCNSX Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2007
    Winston-Salem, NC
    I am IN.

3. White Knight

White Knight Formula 3

Aug 22, 2011
    Ogden, UT
    Full Name:
    Todd S.
    Oh this sounds like a great time to be had.

What kind of skill level is required to attend? Having never driven at a track day before, is an instructor or some kind of driving certificate required?

4. marcmc8867

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    Hey Todd, skill level doesn't matter. We have novice groups and will provide instructors. We really encourage everyone to do it, you really learn more about how to handle and enjoy your beast! Great learning experience and super fun.

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

6. gimmea250swb

gimmea250swb Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    I'm in Marc. I'm sending my application this weekend!!

Taylor

7. marcmc8867

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    Great! Look forward to seeing you all there!

8. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Come on in! You'll really enjoy it and the culture is warm and welcoming.

You can do a search for advice for track newbies, but if you just start easy and add speed slowly, you'll do fine. The key is to approach your increase in speed in increments so small that you won't get into any difficulty. The instructors will explain it to you.

Prepare to have a LOT of FUN!

9. g4titan

g4titan Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 6, 2010
    Around
    Full Name:
    Nico
    Just curious how booked up this event is looking to be??

10. marcmc8867

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    Registrations are steadily flowing in but we still have space. We'd love to have as many as we can. Join us!

11. Europeanroadandracing

Europeanroadandracing South Carolina
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
  12. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Looking forward to buying you a beer, Karl!

Come up Sunday afternoon and we'll play on my simulator. ;)

You need to check out my place up there.

13. Europeanroadandracing

Europeanroadandracing South Carolina
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    That sounds great Peter. I'll keep you posted on my ETA. Are you paying for that beer out of some kind of "hedge fund". lol

Karl

14. Photog

Photog Formula 3

Sep 24, 2009
    Kansas City, Mo
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I will be there with Ricambi and am excited to meet everyone, I have some friends who are instructors there from PA where I moved from.

15. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Growing out of interest expressed, I'd be delighted to host an informal FChat get-together!

Where: at my place (1081 Ace Drive, #2 on Mapquest, not Google Maps), campus of VIR

When: from 4:30-6:30 PM Sunday afternoon, 3/18.

What: for FChatters, friends, family and any event attendee that would like to come. Beer, Cava, Italian red wine, water and munchies.

Why: to hang out, watch cool F430 Challenge in-car vids at VIR and try out the simulators!

16. marcmc8867

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    Sounds great, thanks Peter!

17. White Knight

White Knight Formula 3

Aug 22, 2011
    Ogden, UT
    Full Name:
    Todd S.
    I'm still trying to rearrange my schedule, but I really hope to be there with everyone!

18. marcmc8867

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    Todd, nothing could be more important!

19. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I too am working on the schedule, but think I am gonna make it! Honestly, what is better than VIR?

20. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

The new pricing schedule at FCDS? waaaa waaa....

21. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #21 sainthoo, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Riiiight.

On a more pleasant note, check out this garage shot from the last time I was at VIR: My Atom, a Lotus 211 and Exiges x 2. I just bought an Evora, and I will probably take it instead of the 308. You taking the Aston?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Impervious

Impervious Karting

Sep 20, 2010
    I feel like owning an atom would ruin my enjoyment of driving any other car for life... Is this a real side effect?

23. stradleboy

stradleboy Formula Junior

May 14, 2006
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Bennett
    I'll be there with FCI and am looking forward to getting back up to VIR, it has been quite a few years for me.

24. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    It is crazy, if they let me bring it (it is kept at VIR, so I can bring the Evora too), I'll be happy to give a couple rides...

I am still evolving as a driver, but the best of us in SRA run consistent 2:08, 2:09 on full. My personal best was just under 2:10, but I'm consistent 2:11ish. The best lap was a 2:05 or 2:06, I believe, that is smoking fast for no aero, only 200hp. The thing acclerates like nothing else and has solid cornering.

Edit: The only trouble is some absolutely nasty oversteer if you do not give it proper respect. The weight distribution is something like 65% rear - I liken it to a 1970s 911.

25. Photog

Photog Formula 3

Sep 24, 2009
    Kansas City, Mo
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I want to slap the GoProHD2 on the Aerial if you take it out. I have always wanted to ride in one, since ideally it is a roll cage with an engine.