FC weight loss/life change/fitness challenge thread. | Page 5 | FerrariChat

FC weight loss/life change/fitness challenge thread.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by darth550, Jan 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I don't need a six pack...just need to focus on a stronger core for a while.

2. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Joker

Six pack is more than low body fat , it's stomach muscle that one has built . You need a strong core to run fast.

If you don't like crossfit then try Zuu workout.

THE ZUU

3. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    pfft that's nothing new.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXTcB1OmN5s[/ame]

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Morning weigh in... scale has me at 18.4% body fat. BUT, yesterday at the trainer I used some kind of fancy grip tester *and* the pincer method to have my body fat tested. In those measurements, I'm closer to 14.5%. I assume my scale measures body fat using some algorithm and a pulse through my feet? Maybe it isn't as accurate? On my scale, muscle mass has increased to 39.3%, from a starting point of about 33%. I'm not sure what this really means. Mark?

Weight is fluctuating from 149.5 down to 147.0, depending on whether I played hockey within 12 hours of the weigh-in, which seems pretty reasonable. I have to get it back up, but somehow avoid the freakin' mid-life "spare tire" effect.

Left arm is still not as strong as the right arm, so the trainer is going to focus on some more lifting drills to balance things out. Dumbell presses are frustrating, because my left arm weakens so much more quickly :(

All in all, this has been the best physical experience of my life. From a starting point in October until today, my physique has altered dramatically. My neck is nice and tight, stomach flat, arms solid, shoulders better, back stronger, legs much stronger, and energy level in general is higher. I might even get brave enough to post a picture!

My sour disposition when it comes to food however, remains intact. Avoiding alcohol is awful. Ditching post-hockey beer with my teammates is complete sh%t. At least they are fully supportive and don't badger me. I'm not worried about the calories from drinking, I'm worried about the follow-on poor food choices that I make.

5. maymebarrett

maymebarrett Rookie

Jan 5, 2015
    Great tips! Thanks!

6. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    If your scale is anything like mine, that's exactly how the body fat/muscle measurements work. My experience has been that they are not very accurate. The last time I took a body fat measurement, the scale was 10% higher than the caliper test I did the saem day.

Nonetheless, the idea is to watch how it trends (ie muscle percent up, fat percent down). What those numbers represent is the the percentage of your overall weight that is from fat or muscle. Example, if you weigh 200lbs with 20 percent body fat, you're walking around with 40 lbs of fat on your frame.

Glad to hear you're doing well. I really enjoy hearing success stories. All it takes is hard work. :)

Mark

7. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech

Yeah but I don't spread 2 inches of peanut butter on the pasta ;)

Tried sprinting on the rower last night. 2k warm up (8:30) 5x 1 min pulls at 1:48 - 1:50 at 27 spm, with 2 min rest then another 2k slow pull to warm down (9:15). Defiantly a very different work out.

Got the hikes up to about 4.5 miles on Saturday and Sunday. (actually wore the German Shepard out LOL).

Down another pound from last week at this point.

8. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
  9. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Skipped yesterday to avoid rowing myself straight into illness and did my 10K today but not straight through.

2K warm-up.

6 500M time trials all right around 2 min (+/- a second).

5K moderate (mid 22's).

I feel fantastic! :)

10. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    #110 FERRARI-TECH, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Holy Cow... cracked it...

Did a 5 min 1k warm up.. rested about 3-4 min then cranked away..20 min mark hurt like hell...didn't think I could make 30min, second wind 30-35 min and then just a "cant stop now" mentality till the end....defiantly sucking wind hard at the finish...

My work here is now done, I can go back to being a fat slob :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    ....and I'm sitting here impressed as **** smoking a cigar! :D :D

12. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Full disclosure: while I know the benefits of rowing and agree it's a great way to exercise, I've never been a big fan.

Now you all have me wanting to run out and pick one up. I've been considering throwing in some additional cardio days when I'm not in the gym.

Mark

13. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    I've tried the gym a few times, and maybe its a LA thing but I really cant stand the "bro" attitude of most of the people in them...again its quite possibly the area I live although I tried a few.

I need something that's low impact, full cardio with a little bit of muscle tone.

Rowing was a great supplement when I was racing Motocross and playing football ( soccer ;) ) 3-4 times a week, but a busted up body allows me zero impact now, so rowing is the way to go for me.. oh to be 30 again :)

14. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I forgot to mention before: I set the resistance at L10 for my row yesterday and found it to be better for the warm up and the time trials. That said, I started to hit the wall early into the last 5K so I dialed it back to 6-7 and finished.

15. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I've been hitting a wall big time during these last few pulls. 10K at L10 was easy at first. Now, with this 2K then 6X50 then 5K thing I made up, it's killing me. I dialed back to about 5-6 and today was the toughest yet. I also cut my carbs again for the past week.

What to do?

16. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

For me, consuming about 20-30 grams of carbs about 1 hour *before* a workout is critical for my endurance. Afterwards, I go for a high-protein recovery shake or bar. The Gatorade-3 Recovery Shake (for me) is a good choice. It might all be psychological, but it does seem to work.

I used hit a "wall" of exhaustion in hockey too --- but it is absolutely gone now. I suppose it is a combination of nutrition and simply far better/defined muscle.

17. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Hit my first goal of getting back down to 185 earlier this week. I think muscle-wise I look a good bit better than when I was at 185 about the same time last year, so I'm pretty pleased with that.

I just got back from an outdoor training session in a snow storm. It felt awesome.

Mark

18. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    #118 darth550, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    nice work Darf!

(Go Cards)

20. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    +1

Keep it up, that's awesome progress.

:)

Go brew crew. :(

Mark

21. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Thanks!! :) Gotta keep up with the Red and the roid! :D

22. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    OK kids, riddle me this:

I've been working out regularly since last June, 3-4 times a week of an hour to an hour and a half workouts. mix of cardio and weights, but mostly weights. I've made huge gains, lifting roughly what I could when I was in great shape mid/late 20's. I also walk the dog ~1.5 miles a day, 7 days a week, so more cardio there.

cleaned up the diet, quit drinking alcohol completely, no fast food, protein and veggie heavy. no regular soda, no fancy coffee drinks, no sweets. only real weakness in the diet is a love affair with chips and salsa (which I could ditch, but you gotta live, right? :)).

yet I'm still within a pound or two of where I was last June...

granted, I've probably added 5-10 pounds of muscle, so I've burned off some fat...but still.... :confused:

I'm at ~200, would be happy with 175, ecstatic with 170...just not sure how to get there ...

I'm thinking about splitting up my lifting workouts so I'm doing 30-45 minutes a day, six days a week instead of 1-1.5 hours, 3 or 4 days a week...but mostly out of convenience, not sure that's going to make the difference. thoughts/comments/suggestions welcome.

23. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Row and hit/kick a bag.

24. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007