FC weight loss/life change/fitness challenge thread. | Page 4 | FerrariChat

FC weight loss/life change/fitness challenge thread.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by darth550, Jan 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    That pic was at a Bday party for my oldest and dearest friend in the world. :) :)

2. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    Just turned 45 last week. We had our first kid when I was 40, so I had to get my fat rear end off the couch and get moving.

In the last 18 months I have done a tough mudder, 2 marathons, and multiple long distance rides, including a 109 mile race in November. Next month I will run the Ft. Lauderdale half marathon.

Initially I lost over 45 pounds, but have put 20 of that back on, even with all of that activity. I am the only person on earth who can run 2 marathons in 10 months and put on 20 lbs.

Obviously my problem is my diet. I eat pretty good. Protein shake for breakfast (at least 30 gr of protein), snack of fruit or vege with hummus, lunch is a salad with chicken breast, afternoon snack of some kind of nuts and piece of fruit. Dinner is protein, vege and some minimal carbs (brown rice, whole grain pasta etc).

So what am I doing wrong? Have run or ridden my bike almost 1500 miles in the last 6 months with a daily diet close to the above.

Any tips? You guys seems to be doing similar stuff with much better results.

3. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Portion sizes? In my family, my son has always had the smallest portion on his dinner plate (age 9), simply to ensure he eats everything and wastes very little. For my diet, I made sure I never had a portion size different from his. (Now of course, he is *always* welcome to get a second helping, which he occasionally does)

In my mind, American portion sizes are completely out of whack. I now think of a "portion" as something about the size of a hockey puck. In the past, I considered it to be more like the size of a football !

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    get the ol' 96er!

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc_5tx7xRlg[/ame]

5. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    I hear you loud and clear on portion size. It is something I am working on.

The steak scene is awesome.

6. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech

Best thing since sliced bread. Its the only work out that moves every joint through full rotation, and zero impact. I was turned onto it by a former Olympic rower.. They use them to warm up before going in the water. They pull a lot harder (1:45 ave for 500m ) at a slower stroke rate 20-23 spm than I ever could. They are really good for building core and back strength as well.

I'm back up to 10000m again like darth, pulled a 46:08 as a best this week, damn near killed me.

Still hiking/running 2.8miles with the puppy every morning, 30-45 min depending on how my knee is ( old motocross injury reared its ugly head last week).

Would love to play hockey again but pretty sure my worn out joints would rule that out.

Same for motocross :(

I've managed to pretty much cut out bread ( my fav thing),trying lots of fruit, salad, chicken and pasta.

Lost all the weight I put back on over the holidays plus another pound, eating a lot less, drinking loads of water, no beer during the week. Feeling a whole lot better over all, apart from the knee :)

Going to try to crack the 45 min mark this week.

7. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I think I'm still a couple weeks away from that. Go get it, D! :)

8. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    Inspired - do you guys recommend the concept 2 Model D or Model E. going to order one, this thread has me motivated.

9. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Mine's an older D and it works just fine. Stands up and gets out of the way nicely too.

10. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    Ive had mine so long I don't even know what model it is..Looking at the web site im guessing its a D model, although a different colour. you'll get a great work out with either. mine must be nearly 15 years old and it still kicks my butt.

Couldn't do the 10k/45 yesterday..home too late, just did a quick 20min 5k..ran/hiked 2.8 miles this morning.....knee is swollen like a grapefruit :(

11. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Model D is what I use at crossfit , at home I have model B which has more pull resistance than model D on 10.

Good workout to try is "500 meter tabata" with 1 minute rest between 500s . My times from last night.. With goal of beating your best time on last round
    1; 1:41
    2; 1:42
    3; 1:41
    4; 1:44
    5; 1:43
    6; 1:47
    7; 1:44
    8; 1:39

I do this intensity once a month ...once or twice a week I do, 2 minutes work 1 minute rest , 8 times equals 1 round

12. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech

Have not tried the "sprints" yet. might give that a crack. If your pulling low 1:40's your a stud !! what stroke rate and resistance do you have it on ??

Looking back I think I have a B model..i have updated the display unit,there are quite a few work out programs available. I used to have it hooked up to a heart rate monitor...

I have the resistance set on six and pull between 25-28 spm. If I get any quicker the work rate goes down.

13. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Model B does have setting but it would be equivalent to about 15 on model D, 10 on model D offers little resistance compared to B. I never note my stroke rate . I will next time . My best 500 was 1:33 best 2k is 7:45.
    Try 2m work 1m rest for 8 rounds. That's a nice quick workout

Tabata/HIIT can be very demanding especially at that intensity .

14. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    Thanks for the advice- purchased my today. Keep posting this is great motivation. Thanks

15. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004

Isn't pasta basically bread?

16. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I dialed up the resistance to 6 and took almost a minute off my time. Next time it'll be at 10 to see what happens.

17. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I've also heard a good routine is to alternate between a 10K one day, 2 separated 5's at a brisker pace the next day and all out 500M time trials the next. Thoughts?

18. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Try the tabata style workout for a bit. You'll be amazed first at its difficulty, and then at how it increases your overall conditioning in a hurry.

IMO, nothing beats interval training for increasing fitness and cardio levels.

Mark

19. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    OK kids, any advice on strengthening core WITHOUT doing sit ups, crunches, etc? that is, literally, the weak link in my body. and I hate sit ups and crunches.

20. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

"Inchworm crawling" is what I do. I'm not sure if there is a more technical term, but that's what my trainer has me doing.

21. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Leg raiss, flutter kicks, TRX crunches, hanging knee raises, toes to bars, planks, plank army crawls, cable crunches, uneven carries, kettle bell swings, etc...

Mark

22. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Sprints! Mens health did experiment with triplets and the one who did sprint routine only had better stomach actually six pack over his brothers

23. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    If all you're going for is looks, then yes. Having a six pack is purely a body fat issue. To strengthen the core though, you need to work those muscles, just like all the others.

Mark

24. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    so what you guys are saying is, go do crossfit.

screw you guys :p

25. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    You can try jazzercise if that's more you're speed.

:D

Mark