FC weight loss/life change/fitness challenge thread. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

FC weight loss/life change/fitness challenge thread.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by darth550, Jan 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I was a ball player; got recruited to a major D1 school based solely on my ability to put the ball deep into the seats. An injury both my senior of high school and freshman year of college derailed my ball playing. My bat speed and power were never better than when I was at my largest and strongest. Speed is not always diminished by size (to a certain degree at least). You need a big strong ass (hips and legs) for batting. Don't just concentrate on the upper body/core. Power and speed through the hitting zone are created in the legs.

:)

Mark

2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    As it turned out, circumstances dictated I had to skip yesterday's pull, then we decided to be adults and go out for dinner and drinks on top of it, so I decided to pull to 10K today for the first time and did it in 47:34. Man, those extra M's can getcha! I hope to go again tomorrow so I'm back on schedule. :)

3. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Most ever sport generates power and/or speed from core hips and legs. Most people dont do enough lower body work.

As a hockey player and masters age group sprinter , I concentrate on legs . Plenty of squats . I aim for 100 per day

4. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I was a hockey player as well...hips, legs, and ass were paramount! Your statement is very true.

Mark

5. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I've recently upped my leg days to twice a week.

6. Southpaw F1

Southpaw F1 Karting

Mar 11, 2013
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Mitchell
    Great motivation here guys! I started working out not to loose weight but mainly to stay healthy and gain a little more muscle mass. I have weighed about 148 since high school up until three years ago after I bought a house and had my first baby. Funny how that works isn't it? Two and half years later, I'll be 32 next week and I weigh about 163.
    I am going to the gym atleast 4 times a week and I have been dieting healthier mainly. I take a protein shake daily, multi-vitamins, protein bars between meals, and I am in the process of beginning to prep my meals for the week which for now includes, boneless/skinless chicken, +95% lean meat, brown rice, and vegetables. I also plan on purchasing amino acids for the recovery days.
    I suppose you can consider this a rough plan through my process but please feel free to make any suggestions or recommendations. We can all learn and help each other reach our goals. Good luck gentlemen!

7. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#57 Ricambi America, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Monday morning update:

apples and greek yogurt get really boring after a while. My Friday weigh-in was an anomaly because I didn't record my weight before heading to an early morning 0530 hockey game. Weighing myself after getting off the ice isn't fair because I lose so much water weight.

Also, I think my scale's ability to measure body fat and muscle mass is pretty questionable... but FWIW, I started this whole process at 29.9% body fat and 33.3% muscle mass. As of today, the scale reports 20.6% body fat and 38% muscle mass. Take that with a grain of salt. Happily, I've got three solid hours with my trainer this week and we should start to see the weight move *UP* without a corresponding inflation of the spare tire around my belly.

Nonetheless, in all the gory detail here it is:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    #58 darth550, Jan 19, 2015
  9. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    nice!

did the camelback work?

10. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I took the one I had back and am waiting for another one in the mail tomorrow.

11. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    With regards to your apple andgreek yogurt become boring, i reread what your diet is on page one, sounds like your not eating enough real foods for protein.

I eat chicken almost every day for lunch and have since 2007. Yea it gets boring, but I guess some people have an easier time reconsuming same things over and over.

Other reason I'm asking is eating 1800 to 2k calories a day with just fruit and veggies, yogurt and protein bars seems awfully difficult.

12. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Vitamix will get any and everything you need up in ya....

13. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
  14. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    You guys are motivating me to get off my fat arse. I'm pondering one of those concept 2 rowers. That looks like a good low impact workout.

15. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Nice work! I would love to get to 405dl as well. Last one was 345. (at 158lbs)

Awesome on the push-ups as well!

16. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I've slowly started my quest. My plan is to enroll in the gym and start the fitness part in February. I've been focusing on switching to water and lowering my portions. I have a few more diet changes for next week then I hit the gym.

My work is doing biggest lose and my intention is to win.

17. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    If you do decide to get a rower the C2 is the only choice.

18. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I sure hope it's a long term contest and not one of those month long things.

19. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    It definitely is for me and the reason I started this thread. I think lots of guys need to think this way too because continuously gaining and losing over and over again (like I have done) is not the way to go.

20. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Oh ,I know it is for you dave. I remember a while back when you first set your goals.

I was referring to the office weight loss contests that last a month. At my first employer post college I always questioned why they didn't at least do it for 3 months or even 4, just to make it a forced habit that will help it become a lifestyle.

Meanwhile while they were eating cake I was eating chicken and broccoli. :D

21. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    FTW! :)

22. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Time to man up and admit I've been failing this week. It is so damned easy to slip back into old habits, especially this time of year around here. Dark, dreary, and rainy days.

Anyway no excuses or apologies, just what it is. Haven't put a bunch back on but haven't lost any either. Back to the gym again and back to regular schedule and habits.

23. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    #73 darth550, Jan 22, 2015
  24. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael
    on day one, you looked a lot happier :D , just kidding

from what you write, great achivement so far !

25. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Way to go Darth! I'd post up pictures, but honestly I'm too shy.

I'm struggling with getting enough calories still. So far today, I've had 3 eggs, 2 Quest bars, and an espresso (straight). I'm at 147.7 this morning. My 175+ days are long gone, and I've never been more pleased!

I've added some more upper body stuff into my routine (pushups, in sets of 20, doing 5 reps with a 2 minute rest between them), and running on the treadmill daily. Treadmill is 30 minutes at 5.5 mph, with average grade of 4.5%.

I'm not really into the science of all this work (my trainer certainly is).... but clearly some kind of chemical rush is created from these workouts, and I find myself feeling crappy if *don't* work hard on daily basis. The workout seems to be light "high" that lasts for the remainder of the day. It's a good thing. :)