Favorite mansions | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Favorite mansions

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by dbaker89, Oct 23, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Glad you both enjoyed it!

The Freeman House on Chapel Hill Drive is 5 minutes from me; it was completed about five yrs. ago. I watched it go up and then went through it on a neighborhood home tour. It's spectacular.

Welch has another house currently under construction on the lot next door to Freeman. I'll drive by soon and see if it's pic-worthy yet, and post some if it is.

Wright was always a big philosophical if not outright stylistic influence for me in my architectural career. The market here demanded that I work in traditional styles, and I did, but always strove for a clean aesthetic with minimal, well chosen, and carefully crafted details, as well as area-appropriate materials.

2. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Thanks again. Do you have any of your work to show?

3. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    You're welcome.

I retired mid-2004...everything digital was on my old computer, before it melted down. Everything else was/is regular photos, stored away in the attic or tossed. I never had a website.

One day soon, I'm going to take an afternoon and get some fresh digital shots. When I do I'll post a couple of my projects, along with miscellaneous notable houses around here.

There are some great neighborhoods here that have quite a few houses that were done in the 50's modern/Wrightian aesthetic; a handful have been scraped for McM's, but fortunately many people are seeing the design and historic value...along with rapidly appreciating prices...and sympathetically restoring and adding onto them instead of tearing them down. I'll get some pics of these.

I would have bought one of these modern houses for our in-progress downsizing but the 40's cottage suited our needs perfectly...in looking, it was a 50-50 tossup between modern and trad and we found a good trad house first.

4. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Looking forward to it, Scott.

5. FrostyAK

FrostyAK Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2005
    Anchorage, AK
  6. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Ahhh...the patronage of the pure, untaxed wealth that fueled the construction of these houses! :)

7. dongerdude

dongerdude Formula 3

Mar 17, 2006
    Full Name:
    Carl
  8. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Those are great houses...and surprisingly cheap, with the acreage and all.

"Chateauesque" is a boss style for all sizes of McM's here in Dallas, but very, very few have it down even near right.

Nice to see some good pics of the real thing. Thx for posting.

9. dbaker89

dbaker89 Formula 3

Sep 29, 2007
    Reno, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    that is quite nice.

The Rothschild family is one of the most corrupt banking families in worlds history.

They effectively manage trillions of banking money

10. dbaker89

dbaker89 Formula 3

Sep 29, 2007
    Reno, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    thanks for the great contributions.

11. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
    French chateaus are quite exquisite but sometimes I find myself desiring something a bit more minimalistic.

Would you all feel comfortable in a home where every room is like a museum?

12. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    If you haven't, check out post #57...really nice small chateaus.

13. dongerdude

dongerdude Formula 3

Mar 17, 2006
    Full Name:
    Carl
    My bad - it's actually 500,000 sq ft and although it's 27 floors, every floor has double height (or some are reporting triple height!) ceilings so the building is similar in height to a 55 story building. Apparently it has 6 floors of car parking !?!?!

Some info here: http://www.mumbaimirror.com/net/mmpaper.aspx?Page=article&sectid=15&contentid=20070530022210718d7460de5
    http://www.europaluxury.com/news/latest/billionaires-27-floor-mansion-under-threat.html

14. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    No, I wouldn't, but I'd want an ornate foyer/atrium, staircase and maybe a formal dining room for special occasions. Other than that, I'd like pretty cozy and simple.

15. tl731

tl731 Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2004
    Staten Island , NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas L.
  16. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I saw those, very nice. I know you were going off about them earlier, but I liked those French-inspired homes in uptown Dallas and in the Park cities. Around Turtle Creek there were several developments of townhomes that looked neat.

17. JLP

JLP Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Bay Area, Ca
    #69 JLP, Nov 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That house is so big, way too big.

Looks like a college campus.

19. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yes, there are some very well designed and executed new French style homes here in Dallas...I didn't mean to come off as totally negative.

I guess I'm jaded because I worked on a lot of them and came to see it as a repetitive fashion. Also, as a former architect now in observation mode, I'm very critical of others' work!

I know the development you're referring to in Turtle Creek: Gated and stone-walled, high-density enclave of Chateau-style, ultra high quality single family homes. A commission there might lure me out of retirement.

That is freakin unbelievable. Looks well put together and organized along classical lines. I'll do some googling and see what else comes up, or do you have a link to more info?

20. JLP

JLP Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Bay Area, Ca

Yeah its a very big home but it is right on the beach in the Hamptons.

21. Emil

Emil Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2006
    Solihull
    Full Name:
    Emil Ahmed
    i'd want a driveway just like that and i'd be more than happy!!!

any more pictures of that house?

22. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Of course the irony is that they are tight against one another squeezed into a gazillion miles of sprawl with plenty of space. Lots of developments like that in Vegas, too - townhomes or single family built up on top of eachother squeezing 100 residences per acre in to each development... a development surrounded by acres of dirt and desert rock.

23. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Eh.....the Hamptons don't really do much for me.

Aren't there now home sq. footage restrictions now because of his home?