Favorite italian sportbike and why? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Favorite italian sportbike and why?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by sjb509, Apr 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. larryg

larryg Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Larryg
    Bimota SB6R...best sounding Suzuki I ever rode :D

Larry

2. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    Ducati 998, the sexiest bike of all time
    MV F4, the current sexiest bike of all time
    Ducati 999R, gergeous in a very modern way

3. Scuderia_Ferrari

Scuderia_Ferrari Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Ducati 998 and 999, both in red please.

4. GianPaolo

GianPaolo Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2004
    BENSONHURST
    Full Name:
    JohnPaul
    #29 GianPaolo, Sep 22, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    #30 steve f, Sep 22, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I once was looking at getting a Bimota Tua Tara. It was an actual race bike converted back to street mode. The fact that I am alive today shows that the deal didnt go.
    I had a Guzzi V-50 in college as daily transport , even in Wisconsin winters. But my favorite bike was the, and dont be hatin' here, Yamaha FJ1100 the year it came out. 1984 ? It was just fantabulous ! In its day it was the Enzo of motorcycles. Still a monster by todays standards but in 84 it was a rolling religous experience.

7. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Laverdas are great bikes! One of my favorites. How are they to drive and keep up? Also what is the normal going price for the model you posted? (Sorry, I do not know as much about them)

8. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i almost bought as tuatara as well. whity from ghost or ny motorcycle.

i always wondered about those guys. they did not really seem like a business. it was a bit strange.

9. Quadrifoglio

Quadrifoglio Rookie

Sep 21, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    TIm
    Laverdas are fantastic bikes. What are they like to ride?

Most bikes that I have ridden I feel like I am sitting on the bike. Even comfortable ones aren't really that comfortable.

When riding a Laverda (especially the Sport model as pictured above) you feel as though you are sitting 'in' the bike. As if the bike is an extension of yourself. They are incredibly nimble bikes. One issue of Fastbikes has one of their testers leaning over on a Laverda 750 Sport and not only was this guy's knee on the ground but also his elbow/forearm. The gas tank sits below seat and the wheelbase is very short so they handle like a 250 2-stroke screamer!

They don't have the power of comparable modern bikes as the Sport version has only 85hp and the Formula (track bike with turn signals) has 92hp but when you ride on them you realize that horsepower doesn't make the man, it's ability. You can outrun any bike in the twisties on a Laverda! It's only on the straightaways that the hp pigs pass you up.

There was a racing team in England that raced a 750 Formula a year or two ago and they would regularly pass Aprilia Milles and Ducati 998s because of the tremendous handling advantage. They also squeezed out 105-110hp from the motor but that wasn't cheap!!!

As far as cost they aren't too expensive as far as things go. There were only about 6,000 Laverdas produced between 1994 and 1999 (when the company went bankrupt) which is great because they are truly exclusive bikes but the flip side is that NOBODY even knows what even are. This results in deflated prices. Only about 250 Laverdas were imported into the U.S.. Gives a new meaning to exotic!!! :)

They are very reliable if taken care of properly and a few minor factory gremlins sorted.

10. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    You must be referring to the F4 750. Time to move up to a 1000....You won't be disappointed!

11. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    When Slatter Bros came to America, I got to ride their Jota in the Production class for them. Won a few races, then really wadded up the bike. Was talking to Keith Code a day or two ago, and we traded stories about the Laverdas, none of which was good.

I've got my 996, and I'll put it up against any 998 that's stock. Just putting the last of the carbon fiber on it, mirrors,and it'll be done. Now I've just got to figure out how to roll father time back about 30 years.

Art

12. IROC_DIS

IROC_DIS Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    craig w.
    [​IMG]

yes please.

13. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Art, Just curious as to why you feel the 996 is a better performer over the 998?

14. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Karting

Jan 2, 2005
    Dexter, MI USA
    Full Name:
    Craig Kenfield
    From his quote I get the feeling he's not saying "the" 996 is a better performer than "the" 998. I think he's saying "HIS" 996 is a better performer than a stock 998.

Me wonders if perhaps it's been breathed on a wee bit???? ;-)

15. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    MV 750. Gorgeous and not TOO powerfull. And almost affordable. Most exotic realistic bike you can get. Oh and the new Bimota DB-5 for cruising.

16. IROC_DIS

IROC_DIS Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    craig w.
    just read about the 2005 MV AgustaF4-1000 Tamburini in cycle world. holy crap

17. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    I have had my F41000 for a good few months now, i still have my F4 750 as well, and will be keeping both. I sold my 996 to help buy it. Still have me work horse Busa though.

18. KTG

KTG Formula Junior

May 16, 2005
    Chicago,IL
    ducati 888

19. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    My new-in-the-crate motocycletta Italia exotica (deportivo/organ donor), that is on the truck from California !

20. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

While the Tamburini has some interesting innovations that will no doubt find their way to the production machines, there is just something about it that doesn't float my boat. For $42k+, you don't even get magnesium wheels, and part of the bodywork is plastic, not carbon fiber. A series Oro for about the same (or less) money would be a better investment, IMO. All mag and CF, sand-cast cases, and it was the first bike in decades to wear the MV badge.

That is not to say that the Tamburini isn't desirable, it is all about personal choice, but I'd personally rather have a standard Blue/Silver 1000, and a Senna edition for the same $42k.

21. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

Is that the Tornado?

We are going to need some pictures in the show off your two-wheeler thread!

22. IROC_DIS

IROC_DIS Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    craig w.
    i don't forsee many people taking a $42,000 bike for track days either, even though it sounds like thats what its made for. i loved the quote that one of the reviewers had, he said he wasnt sad to see the bike go because he could just picture a few of his paychecks flying away after dropping the bike taking it out of the truck or laying it down on the track

23. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

That is it !!!

I am waiting. The hurricaine slowed things down a bit. I don't want a hurricaine, I want a Tornado.

24. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Benelli 750 sei and Ducati 888 Raymond Roche.