Fatal Ferrari Crash in Middleton,MA | FerrariChat

Fatal Ferrari Crash in Middleton,MA

Discussion in 'New England' started by witoto, Oct 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. icecar-1

icecar-1 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2008
    Topsfield/Danvers Ma
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I received a call about 2 hours ago about this. I was at a wedding reception with a friend back in August at the Georgetown Country Club and the guy to my right and I were discussing Ferraris. When he found out I had two we had a nice chat. He was the passenger... I believe he was 41 and lived in Danvers Mass. He was related to the brides mother.

Tragic.

2. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I know one was Michael Iovanna from Middleton, He was a couple years younger than me so probably 50-51. Also he owns Pride Motor Group in Lynn

3. icecar-1

icecar-1 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2008
    Topsfield/Danvers Ma
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The passengers name was Chip and he was from Danvers not far from my shop...
    He leaves a wife and 2 daughters I believe. They were at a concert at Gillette stadium when he was at the wedding I attended and sat with me at the reception. I knew of him but did not know him well. Too young...

4. onebrain

onebrain Rookie

Oct 20, 2014
    Well the driver was an owner of a car dealership and has been arrested in past for OUI?? What is wrong with these people? SUpposedly speeding but no word if he was high on drunk.. Likely the case given his history. not a smart man. Lots of money but not much upstairs..

5. witoto

witoto Rookie

Jul 19, 2005
    Boxford,MA
    Full Name:
    Carlos G
  6. Muftah

Muftah Karting

Mar 3, 2012
    Boston, Ma
    Full Name:
    Muftah
    So sad, another life cut short,
    Michael bought his 458 spider from FONE about 45 days ago.
    MY heart and prayers go out to the Iovanna family.

7. gurslo

gurslo Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Condolences to the families.

8. onebrain

onebrain Rookie

Oct 20, 2014
    Feel bad for families BUT this man the driver had been arrested for OUI in Middleton MA more than once. Check their police blog - you will see at least one arrest in dec 2012. He obviously had a problem.. shouldn't have been behind the wheel. feel bad for the other danvers guy that died

9. onebrain

onebrain Rookie

Oct 20, 2014

He has been arrested for OUI in the past.. Not the best character, lots of $$$ though..

10. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Condolences to the family's and their friends.

11. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Sorry to see this in the news. My sympathies to the family.

You know the common saying among bikers is that your most vulnerable time is the first year of ownership when you are still learning to ride. I know I was lucky I wasn't killed when I got my first bike. Reading above that he just bought it, I'm wondering if this was his first ultra high performance car and didn't quite have a handle on how to drive it.

A couple years ago we had a similar Ferrari fatality in my hometown.

12. rkljr

rkljr Formula Junior

May 16, 2011
    South of Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I too have seen too many people buy a fast sport bike as their first. It does not end well in most cases (death, life changing injury). Even worse when alcohol is involved. I have been riding since I was twelve, you learn a lot over the years as you move up the power scale.

The same is true with cars and especially the newer cars. They are easy to drive and people do not realize how quickly they build speed nor how quickly things can go wrong. Add a little alcohol or drugs and it is unlikely to end well.

45 days is not long time. I always feel it takes about 4K to 5K or more miles before I am really comfortable with a car. I am not talking about driving it to the market but about pushing the limits and how the car responds in varying situations.

My condolences to both families! My brother died in a car crash and these things have a dramatic impact on the families.

13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Terrible tragedy. Condolences to the families. Unfortunately these things are almost always driver error/poor judgment. Almost 1 year since the Paul Walker incident which was uncannily similar. Still, I can not help but wonder why a $300,000 super car doesn't have a better fuel containment system, e.g. fuel cell. It certainly appears like the fuel tank/filler hose ruptured. Simply no excuse for that today.

14. chris_1001

chris_1001 Rookie

Oct 1, 2008
    Mass
    My GF and I had met Mike (and two of his friends) at Captain Parker's Pub in West Yarmouth MA a few months ago. They were doing a guys bike weekend. He had a house in the Cape as well which is why he was in the area.

Nice guy, we sat next to them and ended up chatting with him and his friends (and another couple) the whole time. Nice lively guy. We all had a good time talking cars, bikes, etc.

He had said that he did own a Ferrari that he traded in for this one, so he was not new to them. I forgot which he had said he owned.

I joined FC in 2008, but never posted as I was just looking around as I like the 355's (and Ferrari's in general), so this is my first post. But thought I'd chime in since I did meet and liked the guy. My GF found this thread. So we are both bummed to hear that he and the passenger had both died.

RIP

15. MarkShark

MarkShark Rookie

Oct 22, 2014
    Mike was my neighbor that lived across the street from me in Peabody before moving to Middleton.

During that time our families got to know one another and hang out.
    "Big Mike" (he liked being called that), was always a jokester and made everyone around him laugh. My family did not have the $$$ that he had, but he always had the knack at making us feel welcome.

Mike was sometimes misunderstood by people that did not really know him, but I can honestly say that Mike was a Genuine, Warm and Generous person.
    We will always be remember him that way.

Our Heartfelt Condolences to the Iovanna and Hincman families.

RIP Mike

P.S. I can just hear Big Mike joking now, saying that if I'm going to
    go out, might as well be in my Red Ferrari.

16. birkinboy

birkinboy Rookie

Jan 6, 2014
    Danvers Ma.
    Full Name:
    Bob W.
    My wife and I met him at Calitris in Danvers several months ago. His red 430 F1 was very nice. We parked our Lotus next to the 430 but there was no comparison. Lots of HP can be
    dangerous.....

17. onebrain

onebrain Rookie

Oct 20, 2014
    Funny how everyone ignores the fact that he had a RECORD FOR OUI!!! stupid...

18. chris_1001

chris_1001 Rookie

Oct 1, 2008
    Mass
    Did you see post #10?

Also it has not been said that he had been drinking or not. So why not wait before you suggest otherwise, mmmmkay...?

19. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Pretty hard to ignore when all 5 of your posts here are that one topic in a thread that is still on its first page. Your crusade is obvious but in the USA one of the rights we have left is an assumption of innocence.

Give it a G** D*** rest until it is proven one way or the other.

20. icecar-1

icecar-1 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2008
    Topsfield/Danvers Ma
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'll be attending the wake tomorrow night for Chip. He was the passenger. I will not mention the oui posts as their will be enough sorrow. He wife was called earlier this week to get dental records so I'm presuming the fire made id impossible. The coroner needs to positively id them before signing the death certificate. obviously that is now done.
    I completely agree with Rifledriver... Give it a rest with the oui posts. Let the families mourn.
    I'm sure the police will do what is needed to bring this to closure.

21. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The reports I have seen and read indicated that alcohol was not a factor, speed probably, but not alcohol.

I have to question the motives of someone who joins this forum the day after the accident, and his/her only posts are misinformation regarding this accident.

Mods, please take note.

22. gurslo

gurslo Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #24 gurslo, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    What are you a bitter ex? WTF is the matter with you, irregardless there are families and friends of these two people mourning their losses.

23. 101010

101010 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2008
    #25 101010, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    You joined 3 days ago, and you've made the same "OUI" comments in two separate threads. I can't imagine you're someone likely to bring much value to Fchat... you're clearly a muckraker with an agenda. Two families and many friends are deeply saddened, you are doing nobody any good.

What if the kids of those men are reading this thread??!! Can you imagine how horrible they feel to lose their father... and then have someone trash talking their father or father's friend and using their father's death for some personal agenda?!!! You're an a**h*** onebrain!!!

Mods, has onebrain earn himself a permaban? PLEASE?!

EDIT: If/when onebrain gets banned, can this thread please be wiped of all his comments? And please feel free to wipe mine as well, since I quoted that ass. I'm most concerned about family members-- particularly the children of the two men-- who might stumble upon this thread.