Farewell Old Friend | FerrariChat

Farewell Old Friend

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Malfark, Mar 20, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    #1 Malfark, Mar 20, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
    On August 31, 2002, I became the third owner of a left-hand-drive 1986 Ferrari 328 GTS. It was my first F-car, and it's been eight years of absolute pleasure, but now it's time to say goodbye. My beloved car is now for sale, and it's time to start looking for a worthy successor.

The search for my 328 let me to FerrariChat in 2002, and introduced me to a whole new circle of people who have become true friends over the years. The car moved with me from the Czech Republic to the UK and went on some amazing adventures in the process - the first F-Chat meeting in Andermatt in 2004, the first Maastricht raid in 2005, New Year's parties in Belgium in 2005 and 2006, the first Deil meeting in the Netherlands in 2006, Maranello for the 60th anniversary of Ferrari in 2007, followed by the second Tuscany raid right after that.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anjinsan/3948160698/in/set-72157607408375300/

My car is immaculate, and I've been a proud custodian, but the time is right to trust her to a new owner - only the fouth in 25 years:

• Herve Gachon - Lyon, France & Fort Lauderdale, USA (Nov 1985 - Oct 1992)
    • Johannes Simml - Munich, Germany (Oct 1992 - Aug 2002)
    • Mark Pautz - Prague, Czech Republic & Hertfordshire, UK (Aug 2002 - Mar 2010)
    • A.N Other - lucky custodian!
    I have many thousands of photos of the excellent times I've had with my 328, and you can share a small sample of them here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anjinsan/sets/72057594115569189/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/anjinsan/sets/72157607408375300/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/anjinsan/sets/72157618232118879/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/anjinsan/sets/72157623443726709/

And feel free to bid her "bon voyage" here: http://www.tfcgb.com/used-cars/view/365407/Ferrari-328-GTS---LHD

So what will I be getting as a replacement? Watch this space! ;-)

Cheers, MARK

2. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Data-Mark,

the most documented Ferrari on earth on sale ?
    Are you serious my friend ?

Including a trailer with all the data sheets ? :D

To be honest, if I would like to buy a 328 - no doubt I would happy buy yours!
    Its an awesome great, wonderful, well maintenance, serious driven & beloved Ferrari.

Whats your next toy?
    May I welcome you on the dark side ;)

All the Best to You & Yours
    From Highdelberg to Mud Island

Wolfgang with the very best regards from Anja

3. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    My one is probably on its way out as well :(
    I will be sure next week.

4. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    Hi Wolfie!

Thanks very much for the kind words! Yes - I have shed-loads of data on my car and have really enjoyed collecting it over the years. I have a trip and fuel log documenting every centimetre I have driven in the car, where it went, who was driving and who was the passenger. Every millilitre of fuel and oil that have gone into the car has been recorded and the costs all converted to a base currency (i.e. €). I can tell you how much it costs to run the car per kilometre, km/l, l/100km or almost any other crazy statistic you can think of!

It's been fun...but now's the time to give another car the same pampered treatment! The dark side is always tempting my friend, and I am open to brain-washing!! :) I am considering all types of toys, and right now don't know what I'm going to end up with. Time will tell.

Thanks you for the important part you played in my 328's history. I remember with fondness my 341.4 km drive from Prague to Laubach-Röthges on June 28, 2003 to meet with you and Robert Fehr. It was my car's first service under my ownership, and the first time we ate and drank too much together :) Oh, and looking at my data, that particular drive cost 0.13 €/km, and burned fuel at 8.85 km/l at a fuel efficinecy rate of 11.30 l/100km !!

Kiss her goodbye :-( http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1568198.htm

Regards to you and Anja - hope to see you both again this year!

Your friends on the Isle of Mud,

MARK, DEBS & KARL

5. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    Damn it Eugenio. We're all "growing up" eh? Progress? I wonder!

Remember the great photos of the 328 gang in Andermatt - Mark, Marc, Simon and Eugenio. A wonderful time and permanent memories...

Cheers, MARK

6. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
  7. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
  8. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Good luck with the sale Mark, everyone knows it is a great 328...pity it has a big hole in the roof ;)

Looks like I'm the last of the original 328ers :(

9. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    Hi Simon. Yes - I was thinking of that last night. Be strong, and keep the flame burning...it's still the best looking (commercially available) Ferrari in the world IMHO.

She's also here BTW: http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C144321/

Cheers, MARK

10. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Good luck Mr P, the 328 is a fabulous machine but if you do what we have been discussing, you'll have all it offered and more!

I can also vouch for the car, if you are in the Market for a 328 there is no better.

11. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    Appreciated Marc :) I'm still at the "internet phase" of my search, and have not yet looked at any cars in the metal. But I'm starting to get itchy feet...as there's a garage space to fill!

Thanks for your valuable counsel.

Cheers, MARK

12. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    Sad to say goodbye... but fabulous to look out for a new love :)

Good luck with the search Mark! :cool:

Alexander

13. PoleApart

PoleApart Formula 3

Sep 28, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    P.
    Mark and Eugenio, you philistines, you... ;) 10 years down the road you will be regretting these moves. I will man the lonely outpost, singlehandedly fly the 328 flag and provide continuity for this dwindling contingent in Tuscany.

Mark - did you think about offering her for sale in continental Europe? With the exchange rates the way they are and given it's LHD I would think about placing her somewhere like Autosalon Singen? It would probably move faster there than in Kent too.

14. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    Przemek,
    my problem is space. with 4 cars, a motorcycle, a scooter and assorted stuff, I have to let something go. But the 328 will stay very close to home (IF I will sell it).
    Ciao
    Eugenio

15. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Hi Przemek
    I'll be in Tuscanny with my 328 so you won't feel too lonely.

16. emoyambol

emoyambol Rookie

Mar 26, 2010
  17. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    Thanks Alex...but both exercises are challenging!!

18. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    Hi Przemek. I know, I know...

Adding another F-car to teh collection is naturally appealing, but I don't drive the one I have enough and like Eugenio I have three competing motorcycles here, and an Alfa Spider and another motorcycle in South Africa. I can't carry on hoarding!

Strangely, this was a spontaneous decision for me when I saw the smiles on the faces of Eugenio, Ton, Marc and Marc when they got their new cars over the past months. I wanted that feeling again!! The straw that broke the camel's back was being with Ton when he collected his new baby here in the UK. I need that excitement again!

My car is being offered by The Ferrari Centre in Kent - just across the Channel, and close to the Eurostar station at Ashford. The same place Ton bought his car - it's really accessible to the mainland.

Look forward to seeing you in Tuscany...and to being a passenger in Simon's 328!! :-(

Cheers, MARK

19. PoleApart

PoleApart Formula 3

Sep 28, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    P.
    Thansk Simon, I feel better now,

group hug ;)

20. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    ...and I'll be his overjoyed passenger :)

21. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    One of the nicests 328 I've ever seen and extremely well documentated.
    Succes with the sale Mark and I'm very curious what car you are thinking of....

Cheers,
    Roel

22. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    Thanks Roel - I appreciate the kind words :) Time for a change - perhaps a 355 or a 360 (if budget permits)! Cheers, MARK

23. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Mark anyone taken the bait and made an offer on your car?

24. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    Hi Simon,

Lots of bait nibblers, a few bites, but no buyers on the hook just yet. The big issue has been the strengthening Pound. When I put the car on the market, the exchange rate was about € 1.06 = £ 1.00. Today it's at € 1.20. So I guess the car has become a little less attractive for European buyers.

In response I have dropped the price. So if anyone's interested in a left-hand drive 328 GTS in top condition, please take a look on the website of The Ferrari Centre. If you don't know them, this is where Ton bought his 355 earlier this year and they only deal in quality cars.

Also feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the car - it has a history second to none, inculding a spreadsheet of every kilometre, litre of fuel and drop of oil that it's consumed, and detailing all the services, passengers and exotic places it has visited! My email address is my FerrariChat name at gmail-dot-com.

Cheers, MARK

25. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    I resurrect this just to give the good news: the car is back in Mark's garage :).
    And the bad news: my one is gone :(.
    Ciao
    Eugenio