FAQ: Shopping for a used 360 | Page 11 | FerrariChat

FAQ: Shopping for a used 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by Camdon53, Mar 31, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. #tanshukla

#tanshukla Rookie

Dec 21, 2016
  2. vglnte1

vglnte1 Rookie

Sep 11, 2008
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Carter
    How can you tell if the 99 cars had the 02+ F1 update? Or any of the updates? Papers may tell you one thing, but how can you see/hear/feel them?

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Your F dealer ?

4. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony

that was a nice 360.. ! unfortunate it burnt..
    saw it in the news back at the time it happened..

was the car originally red..? the whole left rear panel is red.. after fire burnt through the yellow paint..?

5. Caphill

Caphill Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    1999 models do not have pre-cats, which makes that model desireable according to the shop I take my car to. 1999 models should have all had the tensioners/variators/ etc updated by now. I'm not entirely sure what th severity of a pre-cat failure would be, but it sounded dire.

Happy holidays everyone!

6. vglnte1

vglnte1 Rookie

Sep 11, 2008
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Carter
    Lol...I can see the Ferrari crowd is not quite like what I'm used to.

Instead of paying Joe blow who doesn't care about my car, I'd rather check ( fix) myself. I take it many of you just drop it off, pick it up and repeat?

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  7. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    Hello Group,

Thought I would share this with you all. It's what I used to inspect the cars I am interested in. Feel free to copy and print out to use. Some of the material has been taken off this thread so I can't take full credit for this. Enjoy!

Inspection Sheet:

Ferrari 360 Modena. Year, color exterior/interior, transmission

VIN:

Mileage:

General:

• Carproof/Carfax
    o No liens, claims or damage

• Service Records
    o What is available. What can be retrieved
    o Oil changes done as indicated

• All recalls completed

• Books, tools, cover
    o A new 360 came with an owner’s manual, service record manual, security system manual and several other manuals for optional equipment (like the CD player) in a leather pouch stored in the boot. Also stored in the boot was a leather pouched tool kit and emergency tire inflation bottle (unless the car was ordered with spare tire in the boot). There should be 2 keys and 3 remote FOBs (two black, one red master) and original paperwork giving the 4 digit ignition and radio security codes.

• How many years last owner had it

• 2 x Keys and 3 x FOB’s ***RED MASTER IS ESSENTIAL***

Exterior:

• Panels
    o Straight without waves

• Gaps – all uniform

• Paint
    o Inspect entire car
    o Any areas repainted

• Front spoiler and rear diffuser intact and not damaged

• Undercarriage
    o Free of damage

• Wheel arches

• Door handles
    o Are they loose (Broken cable)
    o Are check straps intact

• Windshield and windows
    o No cracks, chips

• Tires/Rims:
    o Date codes on tire and Brand

o Rims condition/any curb rash

o Center caps

Interior:

• Overall condition of the leather
    o Wear on seats and seat bolster

o Headliner

o Dash

• Carpets

• Door trim and pockets

• Seat controls work

• Headliner

• Sticky parts

• Do all mechanical/electrical controls work
    o Windows
    o Heat, A/C controls
    o Stereo
    o Signals
    o Instrument panel illumination
    o Gas cap
    o Front and rear boot release
    o Windshield wipers
    o Rear view mirrors

Mechanical:

• Engine:
    o Compression Test
    o Fault codes
    o Tappet noise on start up (should dissipate)

• Transmission:
    o Mounts – were they addressed with current transmission service (430 mounts used)
    o Clutch replaced

• Suspension
    o Tie rods and ball joints. Ever replaced

• Brakes
    o Last replaced
    o Life left

Driving:

• Runs strong and restarts
    • Brakes well without pulls
    • No clunking – ball joints
    • Shifts well

Final Thoughts:

JRE likes this.
  8. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Do both. I am a DIY'er through and through but buying a used Ferrari without a PPI from an authorized mechanic is just foolish. They have access to the campaign history, dealer service, proper scan tools, and know common issues for specific models.

9. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    You should do both. That being said, you pay for someone expertise, not just Joe Blow.

I'm sure you care about your health. Do you check (fix) yourself or pay some expert (Doctor) to care when you get sick?

10. hakankuy

hakankuy Karting

Jun 15, 2010
    Earth
  11. cranky

cranky Karting

Aug 7, 2011
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Michael S
    Good article, but boy, did he miss it on manual vs F1!!!!! Add $40,000 now if it were a manual!

12. cranky

cranky Karting

Aug 7, 2011
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Michael S
    "FWIW, the F1 transmission is much more popular with nearly 80% of all 360s ordered that way. I found prices a little stronger for used F1 cars but some manual guys claim the opposite. Any prospective 360 owner should definitely drive both transmissions and decide for himself."

Readers should note that this is now utter nonsense. A gated manual is worth upwards of $20k more...

13. cranky

cranky Karting

Aug 7, 2011
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Michael S
    IF you CAN afford to pay cash, that's a different story. Getting a loan for a used $100k car because you don't have the cash is always a bad idea. Obviously, if you can get 3% loan and you invest the money you would have spent on the car on your business or another investment, the cost of financing is negated.

14. cranky

cranky Karting

Aug 7, 2011
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Michael S
    OMG, WHO have you been talking to? The consensus is the gated manual is waaaaaaaaay more fun. The auto is nice in traffic.

15. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Great inputs but always remember folks - To each his own / whatever makes you happy.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  16. Mark Anderson

Mark Anderson Rookie

Jun 12, 2017
    Norwich England
    Full Name:
    Mark Anderson
    The looks of the gear lever and gate alone together with that whole old school interior are what do it for me,Mark

17. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    The new Forza magazine...front page 360 spider 3 pedal...says they are getting 40-70% more Yikes!
    Yes, I have a 360 spider 3 pedal ;-)

18. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Hope the same goes for 3-pedal Modena since that is what i have =)

19. NJRay

NJRay Karting

Feb 20, 2014
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Threads thoughts.....I am seriously considering purchasing a super rare 05 360 spider red/black 6spd man....what's really nice was the $205k+ sticker which included the stradale carbon fiber seats and race exuast, both challenge grills, modulars, hifi, shields, red/blk car. The car has a very well documented full service history with recent major and looks to be mint....BUT, yep there's a but my only concern is 21k miles.....working on PPI now, pending satisfactory results I may be bringing to back to NJ. I am concerned about miles, although I have a few cars so I won't be putting that many on per year. I would appreciate any input both positive and negative....what's a good price, other concerns, etc. thanks.

20. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I'm in Jersey also feel free to PM me . First if you're buying for investment then it's too many miles. My 360 has 3 times the miles and runs fabulous and has been cheaper to maintain than my BMW. What hurts these cars is not being driven. The shop I went to had 360 with 101k that was faster than Stradales proven it airport runs.

It's still a car which engine wise is well built.

21. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I never thought I'd be saying this, but I stopped by Algar on Saturday and I am now a Ferrari owner once again. There was a red 360 with 1200 miles that looked liked it just came of the line. Never seen an eighteen year old car look like that, that was not being shown. So this makes my 3rd 360, I think it is still up on their site, I have no idea why I bought it, but it is nice to be back in the fold, it has been a long time since I sold my gearshift 430.

22. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Carnut likes this.
  23. cgfen

cgfen Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2015
    vista ca
    concerned that 21K miles is not enough to sort the bugs out???

Mhoram likes this.
  24. modenagt350

modenagt350 Rookie

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    tim black
    If this has been addressed already, sorry, but I haven't seen that much discussion after looking around for the past week or so. I would really like to buy a 360; I have always loved the 355/550/360s. I drove a nice 14k mile 360 spider that could probably be bought for 80k last week but didn't because I just couldn't decide if I want the F1 or 6 speed. Like most people, I would like to buy something that I could drive occasionally and sell in in a few years without losing money. Do you guys think that a 6 speed is worth another 30 grand or so? Also, are convertible top mechanisms fairly reliable? If this has been discussed already, I apologize but I haven't found that much after looking around for the past few days. Great forum by the way.

Thanks

25. artsd

artsd Formula Junior
    Owner

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    Art
    There have been at least three 6 speed 360s in the personal classified section in the last two months or so with asking prices under $80k. This is a very limited sample size and doesn't consider mileage or condition, but based on those prices, 6 speeds may not be commanding a $30k premium any longer. You don't see many F1 360s going for under $50k unless they have rebuilt titles. There seems to be a lot of nostalgia for manual transmissions now because few new cars are offered with them but for me personally, I am not interested in a manual. Been there done that. A big pain in traffic. And even the old 360 F1 technology shifts fast enough for me. The only negative I have with F1 is the extra complication of the system which means more things to break. Rarity almost always commands a premium but I am not sure how much $ that manual premium will be in the future.

There is a recent thread on here about F430 spider tops. The 360 and F430 have the same tops so that discussion is relevant. I have been caught in some very heavy rain recently in my 360 spider and no water entered the car. Most people say the hydraulic part of the system is pretty reliable, which is good because there are something like 7 hydraulic pistons and solenoid controlled valves that make the system work. The top has elastic bands sewn in it that affect the operation and those are known to need replacing, but it is a relatively simple job.

Skidkid and Mimmo Blue like this.