Fantasy question... What Teams would you like to see back in F1? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Fantasy question... What Teams would you like to see back in F1?

Discussion in 'F1' started by spirot, Aug 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    The thread is about "teams we would like to see back", not necassarily recreate.

1. Lotus under Chapman was one of the most inventive teams, always coming up with new ideas.
    That probably wouldn't fit in todays' rules !

2. BRM used to make everything in house, chassis, engine, gearbox and, apart from Ferrari, was the last "true constructor".

3. Eagle. After Goodyear pulled the plug, Dan Gurney's little F1 team didn't last long enough to ripe much success.
    I always wondered what could have happened if Gurney had kept at it instead of switching full time to Indy, where he did good.

4. Brabham was quite competitive under Gordon Murray who introduced race strategy like no others, some borderline legal.
    Bernie lost patience with his team and sold it rather than rewarding the staff.

5. Wolf was a meteor in F1. Walter Wolf was another rich Canadian who wanted to make his mark in F1 with Gilles Villeneuve as the intended driver.
    The team won his first GP, and scored 2 more wins in its first year with Jody Schekter at the wheel, never to repeat that success.

2. If not recreated, who on your list would be alive or healthy enough (mind and body) to come "back"? ;)

3. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #28 william, Aug 23, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    Walter Wolf is still alive.
    He was touted to buy a F1 team a few years ago, but nothing came of it.
    It may have been one of the minnows (Marussia or Manor perhaps?).
    I read one of his interviews, and learnt a few things about the man.
    Did you know that Walter Wolf "discovered" Gilles Villeneuve before Ferrari recruited him?
    Wolf wasn't very complimentary about Frank Williams, BTW, or James Hunt who was the main reason he closed his team.

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    IIRC I read that in a special "Michel Vaillant" edition about Gilles' life. While partly book, partly comic strip, it is loaded with facts like that.

william likes this.
  5. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Lotus, Ligier, Tyrrel, Brabham...these are the 4 i really miss

6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Villeneuve actually drove for Wolf in CanAm briefly, he replaced the just retired Chris Amon. Gilles going up and down through the gears was a joy to behold.

7. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    From a current manufacturing point of view I think the following could be actually possible:

1. Audi - Auto Union.... VW brand etc.. actually they could badge the car any way they like... but I think AU is the right brand with an Audi engine.
    2. Lotus - with Geely money... they make the most sense going back in to F-1
    3. Matra - Peugeot / Citroen again have Matra build the chassis and then one of the others build the engine.... Matra name is dormant ( owned by Renault ) but could be used ...
    4. Maserati FCA ... either build their own car and engine or just get a Ferrari one and re badge... and build the chassis....

8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    You would have to include in that mix another VW brand: Porsche.
    Ferdinand Porsche was the creator of the P-wagen design bought by Auto-Union and raced with some success.

9. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    True... but Porsche and F-1 have just never meshed... not sure why. only one victory .... I think AU is a better F-1 brand and Porsche for Endurance / Sports Cars...

You are 100% correct about Ferdinand Porsche Sr. He designed the Pwagens... and engineered them as well.. he had mid engine F-1 cars going 220 mph in the 30's....

I have a racing sim at home and in Asseto Corsa have all those old 30's cars... I cant make one lap with them .. talk about a hand full!

10. garrobitto

garrobitto Karting

Jul 12, 2020
    Alameda
    Full Name:
    Garrobito Alado
    Brabham y Lotus

11. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Well, Bernie has time on his hands and Murray is building a new fan car;)

12. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ohh Canadaa !

375+ likes this.