Fan motor needed | FerrariChat

Fan motor needed

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by rustytractor, Dec 5, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
  2. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Russell,

If you are unable to locate a new 365 fan, then I would simply restore the one you have (i.e. replate the housing, rewind the armature if needed, replace the brushes, etc). Typically this can be done for reasonable $$$, as it is not complicated. Finding the correct blades will be another matter, but at least the motors will be matching, etc. That being said, I would confirm with other 365 owners if indeed the blades were aluminum... and if they were used on all of the cars... remember Ferrari typically used what was on hand and/or available. Standardization was not always Ferrari's strong suit :)
    Cheers,

Sam

3. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Sam, if I had 2x365 fans I'd be ok but I only have one (it works fine). I also now have 3x400 fans but only 1xmounting clamp.

The problem is matching a pair of fans, either 400 or 365.

Currently this isn't possible unless I get either a 365 fan or a 400 fan mounting clamp.

A simple but frustrating problem !

4. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Isn't it a Lucas fan? If "yes" it is the same as an old XKE fan.

5. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
  6. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
  7. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #7 Wheels1, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The 365 fan in the photo is not a Lucas fan, it's the same as fitted to the 365 Daytona 330, Dino etc with ally fan blade.
    I have a busted one that the mechanic dropped on the shaft, but i am sorry i am keeping it for spares as they are hard to come by. Keep an eye on e-bay as they do sometime come up for sale.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
  9. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Your mechanic murdered it !!!!!

That's it - I'm reporting him to the Fan Abuse Recovery Team (FART for short) - their motto ? - "There's no such thing as bad wind" !

10. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Russell
    Have you tried Maranello?

They list as having:-Fan Motor Brkt Oe
    Fan Mtr & Blade
    (119447)
    £160.16
    (inc £192.19)
    Fan Mtr & Blade (Clip=11087876
    Availability : Normal stock holding
    Alternative : 119447
    Fits the following models : 246 Dino GT, 308 Quattrovalvole, 308 Quattrovalvole USA, 330 GT 2+2 Mk.2, 330 GTC, 365 GT 2+2, 365 GT4 BB, 365 GTB4 (Daytona), 365 GTC4, 400 GTi / 400i Auto
    https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/PagesExternal/Search.aspx
    It might not look quite the same but it might be worth asking themthat and if it will fit your clamp?

11. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Thanks for going to all this trouble - I'll try Maranello on Monday and see what they have.

To clarify, I have:-

3x400 Fan Motors (2 of which have been reconditioned and work perfectly, the other is ok but not reconditioned)
    2x400 4-blade fans
    1x400 Fan Motor mounting clamp

1x365 Fan motor (works perfectly but not as yet reconditioned)
    2x365 3-bladed Plastic fans

I just can't make a matched pair of any of the above which is a real bummer !!

12. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Why not replace both with a "modern" replacement?

13. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    But a modern fan will move more air and draw less current!

14. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Not only that, it would cost points in the judging on the lawn at Pebble Beach, so what fun would all that be? ;)

Of course, you could always store the old fans in a hermetically sealed giant mayonnaise jar for re-installation just in case it ever becomes important to try to get a perfect score for your car at PB!

15. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
  16. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    The 365 fan doesn't use a clamp, it's a 1-piece assembly with tabs on the motor body itself that bolt directly to the motor mounts on the chassis.

The 400 motor is a 2-piece assembly comprising a motor and clamp. The clamp bolts directly to the motor mounts on the chassis then the fan motor slips in and you do the clamp up.

I could use aftermarket replacements but I'd much prefer to keep the fans original, even if they're originally from a 400.

17. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #17 Wheels1, Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Richard.
    By clamp, i meant mounting bracket, that bolts to the chassis and the fan motor bolts to that via 3 tabs on the motor, as per this one that was on e-bay a while back. It still has the correct coloured nylock nuts as well!

If it were me i would keep an eye out on e-bay for one as i guess you will not be using the car this time of year, if you have not found one by the time you want to use it, buy a new one to get you going or use the 400 one if you can find a mount, while still looking for the right one.

18. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I still had this in my watch list, i have sent an e-mail to the guy to see if he has the other one, it came off a 365 2+2 chassis 12175 and was taken off over 30 years ago, as he was racing the car.

19. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    That's really kind of you Grant - thank you. My mobile number is 07973 307928 and email address [email protected] if you prefer direct contact to F-Chat

The fan looks the same but on my car the bracket part is welded to the chassis so I would only need or use the motor part.

Russ

20. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
  21. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Yesterday I phoned Eurospares to check if they had a 400 fan motor clamp and they said they couldn't find one.

Today I went on line to both Europarts and Maranello and did a bit of digging around. Unless I'm mistaken it appears part number 108641 is the clamp I need.

Now it's whether one is available - Eurospares show it is but we all know how inaccurate their website is when it comes to availability !

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/searchResult_one.asp?S=108641&TM=1&TMo=579&TA=1&TB=32089

I'd still prefer to fit another proper 365 fan but this will definitely do until another materialises.

22. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Sorry Russ.
    Just had a reply back and he only had the one fan, that he sold on e-bay. If i see another i will let you know.
    Grant

23. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Thanks for trying, the fact that people care enough to try and help means a lot so thanks to everyone.

I know the world won't end over a bloody cooling fan but it's pretty frustrating not finding the right one.

That said, I spoke to Eurospares today and they DO have 400 fan motor clamps available BUT on digging deeper it turns out that they aren't the same as the one currently on the car as the one I have isn't correct !

I throw these options out to all you lovely people to see who would do what.

No long winded answers please, just choose an option from the list below.

Bearing in mind ultimately I want 2 x correct 365 fans, if you were me would you:-

a) Use the existing 365 fan and one rebuilt 400 fan with the dodgy clamp.
    b) Buy one new 400 clamp and use both rebuilt 400 fans with odd clamps.
    c) Buy two new 400 clamps so they both match and use both rebuilt 400 fans.
    d) Stop being a total dick about something so stupid that no-one will really notice anyway.

Why is it I think I know what's coming......

24. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    A, as i am sure you will find the correct one before spring.