fairly bizarre 330 on ebay | Page 2 | FerrariChat

fairly bizarre 330 on ebay

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by 330 4HL, May 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I hate mod stuff, but if this was my car, I wouldn't dare change back to factory spec.

This is, one of the few, verified mod done back in the day, before values dictated modification.

2. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #27 peterp, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If this was a recent mod, then there's no question it would be better to restore it back. Since it was done in period and commissioned by a well-known owner, then it's less clear-cut what the right thing to do is. It would look better going back to 4 headlights, but it's also kind of cool to preserve a one-off. I still think the car would look better today if they kept the bumper and grill color as it was originally:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Simon1965

Simon1965 Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2011
    HKSAR
    Full Name:
    Simon
    One thing to consider is that when you drive it you can't see the front so who cares. Just drive that great v12 and forget about it.

4. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    This was done prior to 1969.

5. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    That's why part of me feels it should be preserved. The good thing for the new owner is that there is probably no stigma either way. Preserving it would be great since it's a period one-off. On the other hand, restoring back to 4 headlight could also be considered being a good custodian since there is a valid reason why it was a one-off. I wonder what the initial reaction was from the person who commissioned the work when they first saw it back in 196X.

In many ways, the design was challenged from the start by changing only the front end and by creating an angular design that didn't mesh with the curved shape of the rest of the body. If they had rounded the headlight covers and the front end instead of creating a reverse cow catcher, it probably would have looked great and there likely would be a lot less ambiguity about whether it should be preserved.

6. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Today it looks like an oddity. Back in period, I imagine it was the new "hot", in a Citroen SM kind of way.

I agree that it lacks cohesion and if it had been done a bit different, it might be working better today.

Granted it's no Drogo. But I like it for what it is. A statement about Ferrari having moved people to have artistic aspirations for a while.

It also documents what might happen if you miss it just a little.

I would not alter it today.

BTW. Wasn't there a time when the 4HL was considered a near miss?

7. Vincent Vangool

Vincent Vangool Formula 3

Oct 6, 2007
    Zanskar, Kargil district, Ladakh, India
    Full Name:
    Vincent Vangool
    Good thing it wasn't a barn find. Could you imagine the poor sucker dropping from a heart attack when he caught an unsuspecting eye full of that thing?

Seems Like no one was ever able to figure out who did the conversion for Mecum from the original thread.

8. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    That car needs to find the right owner. It's not everyone's cup of tea but its worth preserving.