Factory 360 N-GT engine mapping forensically analyzed! | FerrariChat

Factory 360 N-GT engine mapping forensically analyzed!

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by 360trev, Jan 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Well guys,

I've finally managed to invest the time to forensically analyze the differences in mapping made to the 360 N-GTs over the base 360 Challenge race cars. If people are interested in discussing this let me know.

I've just written the software called Swiss Army Knife which allows you to do all kinds of things such as disabling the immobilizer boxes entirely so they can be removed to save some weight and make it more reliable. They where always pointless on the 36 challenge cars... Anyway if there is enough interest I can discuss more about it...

I'm also currently doing a super advanced telemetry logger for 360 challenge, since I'm adding it directly into ECU firmware I can access everything, over 6,000 variables are loggable!!

galt likes this.
  2. MikyFerrari

MikyFerrari Rookie

Aug 11, 2015
    360trev,
    Would love to understand more about the 6000 variables, the immobilizer and the N-GT difference vs Challenge

Miky

360trev likes this.
  3. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    Does the N-gt have higher hp? I know the qirbox is very different

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. robin348C

robin348C Karting

Apr 10, 2017
    Leiden
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Always interesting stuff Trev. Would love to read more about it.

360trev likes this.
  5. MCASEY

MCASEY Rookie

Apr 1, 2015
    Sydney Australia
    This is a great idea, any chance to add the suspension data from the CAN line??? There should be speed of damper movement and with a Gyro or accelerometer data we can get the damper position. Maybe even a iPhone Gyro app could be used????. Worst case add a couple of pots. I don't have any software skills, but Hardware I can manage. Great job, love your attitude.

6. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    Wow...the amount of expertise in the 360/430 platform you have amassed is phenomenal. Thanks for being so generous with the information and the details on your car.

360trev likes this.
  7. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Sorry its taken a while to get back to this, a lot going on here.

I've just successfully tested integration of Launch Control. LC was never available on the regular 360's but I've worked out how to integrate the feature directly into Ignition ECU's themselves. This is different to how its done on the Challenge Stradale with the LC being done inside the TCU.

Anyway, I will come back very shortly and begin the dissection. Its going to take a while to go through all the changes as they are a lot of them. What's surprised me was the disabling entirely of any monitoring wrt detonation. Its all disabled... Anyway more coming soon.

8. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I've now fully reverse engineered the entire firmware. Its taken many months of effort to do and I had to develop some custom tools including my own customized disassembler to accomplish it properly but its starting to bear a lot of fruit now. I can literally add new features and I can also communicate over can bus too.

Sicilianman and galt like this.
  9. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira

10. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    6000 variables is just too much for my old brain lol
    Very cool stuff something that's most effective on tdays cars

:)

11. Rothbauer_Racing

Rothbauer_Racing Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    From what I have read the 360 Challenge and then 360 N-GT both used the factory style F1 electro-hydralic manual transmission. It was later on that the N-GT switched to the more advanced Hewland F1 type trans. The shift speeds for the F1 electro-hydralic was something like 150ms for the 360 Challenge and 110ms for the N-GT. I know the 360 Challenge uses a race clutch, I can't seem to find what type the N-GT used? I know it's a race type but, what specs, material, style, etc... We need someone who worked on those car or had access to the tech papers to answer that question. Both cars are just amazing quick and the sound shift sounds are amazing!

Sicilianman likes this.