F8 Spider deposit question | FerrariChat

F8 Spider deposit question

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Steveinfl, Feb 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steveinfl

Steveinfl Karting

May 14, 2016
    Hilton Head SC and Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Steven Clayton
    So, I've owned 5 Ferraris over the years (Current 2019 488 GTB) but I've never ordered a new one. I decided that I really wanted to go back to a convertible and that now (with the F8 being the last 8 cyl) was the time to order one new...so I put a deposit down last year with Ferrari of Atlanta.

I've purchased from many dealers over the years (pre-owned) so I don't have a relationship with anyone. I did have a wonderful experience with FOA's service department (as everyone else seems to!) and that's what drove me to do business there.

I put my deposit down in late fall of last year and was told that I'd likely get an allocation around August with a December delivery (2021).

Anyway - there's lots of talk about when the F8 will stop production etc. and just how many allocations dealers are getting etc...I'm a bit skeptical as to whether or not I'll ever see an allocation.

I would really prefer to know if I'll get one as I would do things differently if not. I'd likely grab a 488 or 458 spider to get back to a convertible and then just see what transpires with the upcoming hybrid etc.

The information I'm getting (unsurprisingly) isn't terribly detailed about my chances :). So - I'd like to know what exact question to ask the sales guy. I'm thinking it's as simple as .. how many. allocations are you getting in 2021 and how many people are ahead of me?

Does that make sense? All I'm trying to figure out is..do I have a chance of getting one or not...if not, I'll adjust my plan!

Thanks in advance.

2. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    That is exactly what you should ask the dealer, how many allocations do you have and where am I on this list.

tfazio, Steveinfl and jm2 like this.
  3. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Good luck getting a straight answer. I’ve found that very few dealers will actually give you the real information. Maybe and hopefully they will be honest with you.

GT2goneF and Steveinfl like this.
  4. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Agreed.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  5. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    In a very similar spot. Ordered in December, awaiting allocation on a Spider. If it happens, great. If not, there’ll always be other options.

Same situation with the STO, where the situation is even less clear.

Steveinfl likes this.
  6. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Quote:
    Anyway - there's lots of talk about when the F8 will stop production etc. and just how many allocations dealers are getting etc...I'm a bit skeptical as to whether or not I'll ever see an allocation.

As long as they can sell,they will produce them. You have nothing to lose by keeping your name on the list and can always cancel before your order goes in. From my experience if they cań´t tell you that an allocation is impending,you can’t read into that too much. Allocations come and go with little advance notice to the sales people on the floor. I agree with the others that you need to be persistent with the dealer.

7. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I was told yesterday that local Ferrari dealer is not taking any more orders on F8 and production will end q2 next year. One more year of the F8.

8. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Wow, so this seems to be true. I am very surprised. Although, I know that it would not make sense to overlap the F8 and successor production together. I really thought that to recoup and profit some $ invested in the model they would probably do it as they did with the Pista and F8.

I think they know that if they do that, perhaps their V6 Turbo Toaster sales will no be strong as we would still have an alternative. Assuming I know the majority of Ferrari owners as true petrol heads, they will go for the ICE instead. So that may be their strategy. Force the V6 down out throats and maybe previous ICE models will remain inflated. I can only imagine what will happen with the 458, the Pista and now the F8. I predict inflated resale value as soon as the hybrids hits the market.

9. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    If the v6 hybrid is done right- it will destroy the Performance of the F8/Pista and everyone will forget it’s a hybrid. The new Mclaren Arturo is only like 30k heavier than the 570 which is impressive. But Ferrari has not been able to control weight with the SF90. Let’s see what happens.

Thecadster likes this.
  10. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Time, not too far from now, will tell.

11. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    For dealers not accepting orders for F8, I think it may depend (for each dealer) on the backlog they already have. They have typically more backlog than they have firm allocations but they know approximately how many allocations per months they expect, so if / when they are told a date for an end of production they can do the math.
    Regarding V6/V8, it's likely Ferrari will not overlap the cars (unless there is a final F8 VS, against all predictions) because both cars are assumed to be in the same range, but I would not be so sure it's because people will hate the hybrid V6. Apparently the SF90 (V8 hybrid, AND more expensive) has actually led to a premature end the 812 SF in spite of the V12 so the customers do not seem to always value the higher number of cylinders.

GT2goneF likes this.
  12. harrish1985

harrish1985 Formula Junior

Jun 17, 2016
    Miami, FL
    I haven't heard any word of production ending. I put a deposit in late Aug. '20 and was advised there are presently 4-5 allocations ahead of me. Hoping for early to mid Q3 '21 delivery.

Art138 likes this.
  13. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I guess you could say you heard it here. I’m sharing directly what was told to me by one of the salespeople who is extremely knowledgeable on the process. They are not taking any more orders for F8 as they have a waitlist already and production is going to end next year this time.

GT2goneF likes this.
  14. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    My assumption as well. However, things have been so upside down and inward out that you would never know. I also agree that allocation per dealer may be a factor. However, if Maranello says no more. No dealership can make a car from scratch, so there is that.

15. NOCAL458

NOCAL458 Rookie

Feb 23, 2021
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    WILLIAM YANG
    I placed an order for a F8 Spider on 2/ 20/ 21, the order was accepted (along with the deposit). The dealer said it'll be a year until it's delivered and they're still waiting on their dealership F8 Spider demo to be manufactured. He made no mention of Ferrari limiting orders or not accepting orders. Luckily I have a 458 Spider to enjoy while I wait.

16. rapninc

rapninc Rookie

Apr 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Roger Sholanki
    I placed my order and deposit in August 21 and just advised last week that Ferrari stopped taking more orders. My dealer in Canada said i'm confirmed an allocation but won't be until early 2022. Fingers crossed :)

GT2goneF likes this.
  17. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    As an added data point, I placed my deposit to get in line on March 25th 2021, was confirmed an allocation on August 25th. My spec is still unlocked, no idea when it will go 10R. Dealer maintains I should see the car in February/March, but I think that's becoming a bit optimistic unless I fly it over. Which, I am leaning towards flying it depending on the quote.

18. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Hi Stew. I’ve got the same optimistic view from the guys at FOS for my F8 Tributo I placed a deposition for first week of October. I’m hoping to have car by summer but who knows. Sounds like it could be a year plus?

19. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Unless people switch F8 orders to 296, I'd bet it's going to be roughly a year from deposit to delivery. With my 812 I lucked out and was able to slot right into a build that was abandoned. F8 spider I got to experience the 'normal' order process.

blkdiablo33 likes this.