F8 JBL sound versus Surround Camera? - Waste of money? | FerrariChat

F8 JBL sound versus Surround Camera? - Waste of money?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by socalferrari, Feb 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. socalferrari

socalferrari Rookie

Feb 28, 2017
    Orange County, CA, USA
    Hello,

Just starting to spec my F8. What is the difference in the JBL versus the standard sound system? More speakers? I plan on changing it out regardless so I don't think the JBL is worth its weight in anything.

Also - saw the surround view camera on the F8 spider this weekend. Loved the image but hated the way the camera's stuck out on the exterior of the side view mirrors. Should I omit these due to crappy look or get them because of their intended function?

Thanks -

2. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I considered both options on my car.

The JBL is better but I’m putting in a Focal setup that’ll sound far better for about the same cost as the factory upgrade. Depends if you want to deal with having the work done or dealing with a prebaked system. Also depends on what qualities you seek in the system. Have you listened to the JBL vs stock in person for comparison?

The surround camera view inside is nice but it looks absolutely awful outside. With the park sensors and backup cam I can’t imagine having any issues so it’s really not worth messing up the looks of an otherwise awesome car with cameras that look like something Bell & Howell would sell on late night tv bolted to your mirrors.

Chizz likes this.
  3. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    You will find both sides of the story on the audio system.

However, on the 360 camera, it will almost be an unanimous decision. A big no. Huge eye sores. First the front camera will partially block the intended function of the S duct. The side mirror testicles will turn off all possible visual attraction of the car. All you need are parking sensors.

jm2 and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Get the audio upgrade. Not great, but useful. The stock audio system is so bad it's hard to really live with.

Agree on the 360 view. Too ugly, and never wished for it anyway. Sensors are fine.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

GT2goneF, jm2, Dicecal and 1 other person like this.
  5. Chasing Ferrari

Dec 18, 2016
    are you an audio guy? if not, just take the JBL. if Yes, get the focal later.

GT2goneF likes this.
  6. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I went JBL because I do not feel comfortable messing with the electronics on a Ferrari.

MANDALAY, GT2goneF and Chizz like this.
  7. RoadRonin

RoadRonin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2020
    San Francisco
    I would skip surround view and get the JBL upgrade. I have the base stereo in my 458 (I’m the 2nd owner) and it’s the thing I like the least about the car. What makes me nervous about an aftermarket audio installation is the potential for the introduction of squeaks and rattles if one needs to have the dashboard disassembled.

GT2goneF and Chizz like this.
  8. JanStuart

JanStuart Karting

Mar 20, 2019
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jan Sirota
    I went from an upgraded stereo in my 458 to a base one in the F8. The F8 sound lots better than the 458 did. They have upped their game.

Ltfor3, GT2goneF, WM458 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Another yes on JBL, no on the hideous wart cameras!

BLUESL, stretchgeneral and GT2goneF like this.
  10. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I also got the JBL upgrade . It actually sounds good to me , even better than the JBL was in my 488. May sound better because the exhaust note is meh and thus better sounding stereo. Lol.

Chizz and GT2goneF like this.
  11. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Precisely my point

12. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Agreed!

13. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Though, it was not a proportional trade off

Cigarzman likes this.
  14. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Same, I think the JBL is perfectly adequate for the car. Not great, but don’t think I’ll need to upgrade it...

Chizz likes this.
  15. Headsuppassinglft

Dec 24, 2020
    Addison, TX
    Full Name:
    Christine Fritsch
    99% of the time I listen to the engine noise. I only listen to the sound system if I'm in traffic or sitting in a line. I thought the JBL in my F8 was great. I could turn it up loud enough to vibrate the seats with no distortion. I'd go listen to someone's before I tear the car apart to put an aftermarket in that the next buyer might not appreciate.

The cameras are hideous. Surprising coming from Ferrari. On the F8, they would be almost useless. The small screen they show on is always blocked by the steering wheel and I can't see the backup camera unless I stop and move the steering wheel to look.

GT2goneF likes this.
  16. Spezia

Spezia Karting

Dec 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Weires
    I'm a life long audio guy and am inclined to agree with this. Although I'm a big JBL fan and own several of their high end speakers their oem car speakers are unlikely to match what are probably much higher grade Focals. Of course the amplifiers etc matter too.

Chasing Ferrari, Chizz and GT2goneF like this.
  17. Ltfor3

Ltfor3 Karting

Oct 14, 2013
    FL
    Full Name:
    L.T.
    I have both. If asked to choose only one I keep the stereo. The surround is nice because I am use to it in other cars but the sensors and back up camera are enough to keep you safe.

Cigarzman, Chizz and GT2goneF like this.